Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 23:51   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Wheel hub turned out to be faulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by datvichrox2 View Post
I tried to remove the wheel myself last week, but I just could not get the axle out, it was that hard and I dont know if it is supposed to be like that. So I resorted to the headphone plan!

First of all, glad that the issue is getting fixed.

The axle should slid out easily. What I usually do is remove the nut. Then softly hammer in the axle till I am able to grip the other side.
Usually cover the end with cloth so that I don't damage the thread. If I am at home, then i use a rubber mallet.

Once a lil grip is available on the other side, i grip it using some cloth and slowly twist and turn it, till it comes out.

Keep some flat stones under the main stand so you are able to rotate the wheel when removing it.
Engage a gear when fixing it back so that it sits in correct position.
Old 13th January 2012, 08:38   #17
BHPian

Re: Wheel hub turned out to be faulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
First of all, glad that the issue is getting fixed.

The axle should slid out easily. What I usually do is remove the nut. Then softly hammer in the axle till I am able to grip the other side.
Usually cover the end with cloth so that I don't damage the thread. If I am at home, then i use a rubber mallet.

Once a lil grip is available on the other side, i grip it using some cloth and slowly twist and turn it, till it comes out.

Keep some flat stones under the main stand so you are able to rotate the wheel when removing it.
Engage a gear when fixing it back so that it sits in correct position.
Thanks for the tips!

Now, update on my bike: Disappointment!

I had given my bike for replacing the hub and also complete second service with oil change. After they had the bike for three days, all my complaints are still present (except for the new oil).

Earlier they had loosened chain significantly and applied grease. This made the banging noise go away. But symptom 1 was still there, the constant rubbing which I could feel on a downhill with the engine off.

Now I also noticed that my mudguard was misaligned. And after replacing hub, they did not check for wheel bends.

I refused to take the bike back in that condition. They are going to get their boss to look at the issue.

Another complaint was that oil was leaking from under (about 1 drop in 2-3 days), When I checked under the engine, there was one drop of oil ready to fall off. I don't know if leaving the bike there was the best thing to do.

Regards,
Vimal
Old 14th January 2012, 20:47   #18
BHPian

Re: RE Thunderbird TBTS - Rear wheel issue (noise, wobbling)

Hi Vimal, my bike had the chattering chain issue when the sprockets were misaligned. The rear wheel in my bike was somewhat diagonal in alignment with respect to the front wheel. The chain heated up more than usual and the bike simply refused to pick up speed. I had notified the RE service during each service and they said that the wheels were in alignment ! I had a friend of mine follow me in another bike and he said that my bike was for sure dragging the rear wheel. So after being fed up with the Royal service, I purchased the socket spanners for the rear axles and adjusted the cam gears at home and aligned the wheels with the help of sewing thread. Now the bike picks up speed easily, chain chattering has subdued with no chain heating. There is no wobble and the bike has good control when executing bends. As for difficulty removing the rear axle, there is a hole in the left side of the rear axle where you can insert a small lever and pull the axle out and the rubber mallet is available in tool shops if it still is not budging. Hope you gets out of the blues soon.
Regards Adrian
Old 13th May 2017, 08:34   #19
BHPian

I am facing similar issue after replacing the old chain with new one.
Can hear kat-kat noise - like some metal brushing against metal, from rear wheel.
Noise is audible with pillion rider.

Had taken the bike to service center for again but no luck. Will be again going today to fix this.
Old 13th May 2017, 22:32   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

chetans
Usually, when a new rear drive chain is installed on a motorcycle it stretches quite a bit during the first few hundred miles/kilometers.
This will cause it to become "loose" so it will need adjustment.

On the top run of the chain, it comes very close to part of the rear swing arm where the swing arm bearings are. A loose drive chain will sometimes drag on the metal at that location.
This is not really harmful but it does make an annoying sound and the problem should be corrected by readjusting the rear chain.

The reason it tends to make noise when a pillion rider is in place is, the rear springs are more compressed and the swing arm is higher than it is with only one person on board.

In this "higher" swing arm position, due to the geometry of the bushings vs the location of the transmissions output drive sprocket, the chain becomes looser. That is, it has more up/down looseness. This can cause it to rub on the rear swing arm, making the sound you mentioned.

Having the chain properly adjusted should fix the problem.
WARNING: A rear drive chain that is too tight can cause damage to the chain, the sprockets and the bearings so, with the motorcycle resting on the side stand and its tires, check the tension on the chain.
Pushing the chain upward and downward at a location approximately half way between the engine and the rear wheel sprockets should cause the chain to move a total of 25-30 mm (1-1 3/16 inches).
Old 16th May 2017, 00:20   #21
BHPian

Had to take the bike twice after last fix. Earlier the chain was loosened as they found the setting to be too tight.
Also found a broken spoke which was removed.
(Was informed that whole spoke set has to be replaced as they cannot replace just 1 spoke)
After test drive, found the noise was still there.
Later was told that swing-arm bush might be the issue and then was told alignment is not proper.
Finally opened up the complete wheel set, bearings etc and hopefully its fixed as i was unable to hear the noise on test drive.

I was at the center at 9:20am and they kept on trying all fixes.
I stayed back assuming it was a minor fix.
At around 1:20pm was told that it will take few more hours and the engg was kind enough to drop me at my home.
Finally got a call at 5pm to pick the bike. Reached immediately at 5:30 as 6pm is their closing time.
Did a quick test run along with pillion. was not able to hear the earlier regular sound.

Last edited by chetans : 16th May 2017 at 00:22. Reason: grammer
chetans is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks