Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 16:13   #1
BHPian

Motorcycle License!

Hi,

Just wanted to gather what everyones thought were on the (IMHO) the absolutely pathetic licensing system that exists in our country. The system seems to work out for practicality due to our population and thats about it, IMO its one of the main reasons that so many people die on 2 wheelers on our roads. Not enough training on riding safely . With many big names breaking into the Indian market with bigger bikes , its time we have something new.

A Bit of background , I got my motorcycle license before my car one, in Trivandrum Kerala after I had just turned 18. I remember having to ride a 80cc M80(i think) in a figure of eight and then having to ride a short distance while showing appropriate hand signals. I got my UK license a while back and was pleasantly surprised by how much I had learned during the course of the whole learning and testing days.

A total revamp is absolutely necessary, although slower I would recommend people not being allowed to buy bigger motorcycles without advanced training. Similar to MOD1 and MOD2 training here in the UK as well. Btw I am 20 now.

Sorry mods , if this has been posted before( I didnt see any other topics)
Old 6th January 2012, 18:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Motorcycle License!

Gather thoughts & do what? Everyone's going to start complain yet none of us can bring any significant difference at RTO. They're like this only!!!

You don't need to see any topic, its discussed all over the forum, all the frustration has been spread over like cancer!!!
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 19:28   #3
BHPian

Boss, in most Indian cities, public transport system is non-existent. Best example is Pune. So to get from point A to B, a two wheeler is the only affordable option. Now with affordable housing only in distant suburubs (other choice is slums), most people are forced to get a two wheelers or wait for hours for that jam packed bus to arrive. For most Indians, two wheeler riding is not a hobby, it is for survival ie food, job... unlike West.
The first focus should be on mass public transport like Metro, rail. Then licence system should be overhauled.
Old 6th January 2012, 23:45   #4
BHPian

I agree with you akshayasok but consider this fact - You are raising this issue because you are well educated and trained, while a guy who i not educated and can get his license by paying Rs.500 to the agent or even the guy at counter, why will he even bother to undergo all the tests and mods? Yeah agreed that this results in accidents but well its like 'raat gayi baath gayi" (Forget it overnight)
Old 1st September 2022, 22:28   #5
BHPian

Well I guess it's time to wake up a thread that is over a decade old.

I turned 18 in February 2022 and due to some personal reasons I wasn't able to apply for my motorcycle LL (Learners License) and the subsequent full license.

I have now shifted to Odisha for college and I was wondering if it's possible to get a Learners License as well as my full motorcycle license in Odisha even though the address on things like my Aadhar card refer to my address back home in Bangalore?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks