Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2012, 04:28   #1
Awaiting Email Confirmation

1972 Royal Enfield Cafe Racer

Back in August 09, I was lucky enough to be offered up a 1972 Royal Enfield 350cc Motorcycle by a local dealer. Without much doubt in my mind, I made the deal and made myself the proud owner some Old Brit Iron. Below is a picture essay of how I converted it into a cafe racer and named it richėnfield after my wife Richa.

And here's how the engine looked. Notice the kick start lever is non-foldable. I learned that after trying to fold it for a minute or so. First time I'd ever seen it. This bike had great patina for sure !

We started working on it.... off came all the parts

Then came the hand made, custom fuel tank, seat and rear cowl

Seat and cowl !

nickel'd again !

Standing on new rubber.

A friend bought it from me and it now stands in his living room today.

Got a babe to pose with it !!

Chanderjeet is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th January 2012, 21:29   #2
BHPian

Re: 1972 Royal Enfield Cafe Racer

Wonderful transformation and she is an absolute beauty. I was expecting to see you take it on a ride, nevertheless, she has found a very cozy home.
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2012, 21:31   #3
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 16th January 2012 at 13:03.
aruncheloor is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th January 2012, 21:38   #4
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Great job Chanderjeet. Build must have been really inspirational for you. Guess your friend must have bugged you to let go of this bike. By the way in which country is the bike now?

Cheers
Old 15th January 2012, 23:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

That is a job well done. Congratulations. I would personally put a fender eliminator at the rear to clean the whole number plate and rear mudguard but it looks splendid just the way it is. I have something similar lined up for my RD. A summer job to keep busy.
Old 16th January 2012, 00:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Wonderful transformation and she is an absolute beauty. I was expecting to see you take it on a ride, nevertheless, she has found a very cozy home.
Thanks. I rode it for almost 5 months. Even displayed it at the Enfield's Art of Motorcycling show 2 years ago !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Great job Chanderjeet. Build must have been really inspirational for you. Guess your friend must have bugged you to let go of this bike. By the way in which country is the bike now?

Cheers
Glad you liked it. It's in TX, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
That is a job well done. Congratulations. I would personally put a fender eliminator at the rear to clean the whole number plate and rear mudguard but it looks splendid just the way it is. I have something similar lined up for my RD. A summer job to keep busy.

I'm looking for an RD. I've had my fair share of enfield projects now it's time to more one to some other iron.

Last edited by Amartya : 16th January 2012 at 03:34. Reason: Use the multi-quote option to reply to multiple posts. Cheers and thanks for sharing.
Old 16th January 2012, 02:50   #7
BHPian

That bike is an absolute beauty , and some terrific pics. Definitely remind me of the Enfield Clubman here.
Old 16th January 2012, 09:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Superb transformation, and though i would have preferred the bike on road, the living room really suits the bike.
This is a living room I would LOVE to have in my home - the bike, clock and background is awesome - your friend does have some nice taste
Old 16th January 2012, 10:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Its a wonderful work of art you have done on that Cafe racer.Sets a good example.Im happy to see its preserved very well now.
Old 16th January 2012, 10:55   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Not only am I impressed with the conversion, I'm equally - if not more impressed with the photographic composition! Clearly you're a professional in both areas. Some queries:

1. What silencer is that? It looks like the Thunderbird silencer, but clearly is not.
2. Any mechanical snafus discovered in the engine during the restoration/conversion?
Old 16th January 2012, 11:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Excellent work in this restoration, no meaner feat in getting it restored and then taking the bike to US. The photography is awesome especially the the bike in the living room.

OT Q: Is the bike in US just for the fair or permanently. How easy or difficult it is to get such a bike outside India.
Old 16th January 2012, 11:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

woaah that's one helluva transformation from rust bucket(no offense) to a complete drool cafe racer. Most of those pics have a touch of HDR's innit , love the outcome.

What silencer is that and why on sweet earth did you let go of a such a beauty man ?
Old 16th January 2012, 12:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Not only am I impressed with the conversion, I'm equally - if not more impressed with the photographic composition! Clearly you're a professional in both areas. Some queries:

1. What silencer is that? It looks like the Thunderbird silencer, but clearly is not.
2. Any mechanical snafus discovered in the engine during the restoration/conversion?

- The exhaust is what's called a reverse cone megaphone.
- All mechs were otherwise restrored to originals.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th January 2012 at 12:41. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 12:37   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Had read your original detailed thread on the other forum and it inspired me to blog about it last year. Fantastic work though I would love to see it on the roads rather than in a living room (which incidentally is something I mentioned in my writing)

Hope you enjoy the read
Neil's Moto Musings: Choices

Keep up the great work. Cheers.
Old 16th January 2012, 12:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Had read your original detailed thread on the other forum and it inspired me to blog about it last year. Fantastic work though I would love to see it on the roads rather than in a living room (which incidentally is something I mentioned in my writing)

Hope you enjoy the read
Neil's Moto Musings: Choices

Keep up the great work. Cheers.
Thanks for mentioning it in your blog. It's New Delhi though not Chandigarh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks