Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2012, 23:53   #16
BHPian

Re: Saddle Sore on a Thunderbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
My suggestion would be to speak to guys who've done it on humble bikes (no the ninja does not qualify). I can connect you with doc arn (who was the 1st one to do it 8 years back) and Nav (whose attempted it a couple of times and has come quite close so can give you the other perspective as well). let me know if u're interested
3 times to be precise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Pulsurge has listed down all the email ids I've been in touch with. They usually take ages to reply because they do the certification and query responses as for passion and not as a daily job.
Just to share my exp, I have always got reply from Ira within a day or at max two. Having send her my queries a few times.

Ok this is what I have shared in some other forum, when a topic was started asking for precautions/preparations for such rides.
-----------------------------------------------
Let me share my exp (having tried SS1600k a few times). I might not be the right person as I haven't been able to complete the ride, in specified time.

1. Selection of a route is one of the most important thing. One should be familiar with the route, knows good sections(to take advantage) and bad sections(to be careful).

2. Identify your start, end and turnoff point(if any) that satisfy the documentation criteria of IBA(printed slips and all).

3. Select a correct vehicle. The slower cruising speed of the bike is, the most harder you will have to ride.

4. Prepare a comfortable seat. After all you would be sitting on it for 24/36hrs.

5. Improve headlights (aux lamp, HID, projector lamp, higher wattage bulb). Sadly, other than 220, I don't find stock headlamps of any bike(that I have ridden) that are good enough to ride above 60-80(depending on road and traffic condition) in night. (That's my personal opinion).

6. Minimize your breaks and their duration. So club your fuel breaks with quick bite (carry energy rich stuff to eat).

7. Hydrate yourself well during the ride. A camel bag comes in really handy or a jugad water bottle.

8. Reduce the variables that could hamper your ride:
- Opt for tubeless tyre over tube.
- If can use only tube then fill in puncture sealant.
- Carry basic tool kit and spares with tubless puncture repair kit, portable air pump. (And learn how to use it).

9. Start after a good night's sleep. Plan your start time and place so that, when you are fresh and its daytime, you are on a good section of road where you can cover the maximum distance.

10. Do a small ride before the big one. I find it helpful, as it helps my body get used to of sitting on bike and riding for long time.

11. Try to carry a GPS, don't rely on odo meter for the distance. GPS also helps you in showing your moving and overall average speeds.

12 Try to cover some (30-40) extra km's than needed. Do not count the distance that you might have covered while being lost in a city or did some short 'U'turn IBA most probably won't consider it.

13. Carry a dark visor for daytime (or plain visor with shades) and a good, scratch free, visor for night time.

14. Carry warm inner if the night time can get colder.

15. Get your bike serviced and do some 200-300km's before starting on with the ride. Make sure all indicators, lights, horn are fully functional.

Needless to say, good riding gear is a given.

These are the points that I can remember right away. Deepak and others who have been able to complete the rides successfully can add their bits.

One very important point that I missed. Never fight with sleep. You are fighting a lost battle. The moment you feel slightly sleepy, just pull over and catch some sleep. Start only when you are feeling fresh. Wash face with cold water and resume. If you think sleep is getting too much, just abort the run, if the sleep requires a long time.
-----------------------------------------------
nav75 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 00:23   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Have you ridden an endurance ride before? Something in the region of 1000kms in a day or throughout night?

And forum member pulsurge started a thread at some other forum, am pasting a link for introspection. Riding challenges fine....but paying with your life :'(
OT : Pulsurge stated in his article that Vinu was doing the BB gold on his R15, But the fact is that he was doing the BB gold on a CBR250R ABS. His R15 is still at my friend's place who lend his CBR for the BB gold ride. It was a shocker to us when we heard that he left for the BB gold ride.

A pic of the cbr he was riding.

Saddle Sore on a Thunderbird-img_4179.jpg

@nav75 : Thank you for summing up. Sleep indeed is the worst enemy during the ride. Take a quick power nap and start again.

Last edited by kingofmyworld : 25th February 2012 at 00:25.
Old 25th February 2012, 00:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

The more I read about it, the more it sounds like a race on public roads. Long distance motorcycling should be for fun, not racing IMHO.

Maintaining average of 90-100 kmph for an entire day while pursuing a target is not healthy for any rider.
vivekiny2k is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 08:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
The more I read about it, the more it sounds like a race on public roads. Long distance motorcycling should be for fun, not racing IMHO.

Maintaining average of 90-100 kmph for an entire day while pursuing a target is not healthy for any rider.
You read it wrongly. It is no more a race than anyone who likes to ride or drive fast (and there are tons of them in here). I can speak after seeing sensible guys like Doc Arn (met him several times in such rides, including BunBurner where I was witness). BB/SS are manageable on our roads (provided its well chosen roads and a well rested/prepared rider). BB gold definitely will be a problem on even the best of our highways unless someone takes permission from IBA and NHAI to do it on NE1!!

As for mistakes, happens even to the best of us.

The biggest thing like Nav said is sleep - and also knowing where to cut it. Nav has done that, and so has Doc Arn - knowing when to push hard and when to cut your losses, that takes alot of maturity & level-headedness IMHO.
Old 25th February 2012, 08:09   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
OT : Pulsurge stated in his article that Vinu was doing the BB gold on his R15, But the fact is that he was doing the BB gold on a CBR250R ABS. His R15 is still at my friend's place who lend his CBR for the BB gold ride. It was a shocker to us when we heard that he left for the BB gold ride.

Hey, I (and most of us) never knew this. We assumed it was on the R15.
Old 25th February 2012, 09:22   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a 2007 Thunderbird. In the past 5 years, she's been to Kanyakumari, Ladakh, the Rann of Kutch, Varanasi, and we just got back from a ride across Arunachal and Assam last week. I'm not listing all these to show how long I've ridden; i just think the Thunderbird is not the bike for a saddle sore ride.

First of all, it and you feel too stressed when you have to maintain a high speed constantly. Like all Bullets, it's meant for a relaxed, long and steady cruise. Secondly, I don't see the point of saddle sores. Admittedly, that's just a point of view and I guess different people have different challenges, but like someone already mentioned, a long ride is best enjoyed relaxed.

Bringing numbers into a long journey, especially on our roads, with our weather conditions, in my opinion, is pointless - "x went longer, y went there faster, z did in in 123; oh but wait that was just between city A outskirts and city Y outskirts, that doesn't count..." there is really no end.

But whatever you decide, all the best and stay very, very safe, err on the side of caution always.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 10:35   #22
BHPian

+1 to am1m here. I can see and understand the charm of completing a challenge like the SS or BB/BB Gold, and truth be told I too would like to attempt the SS sometime in the future.

But, as an avid rider myself and one who prefers 2 wheels to 4 any day, I have to ask myself, why do I want to do this??

For me the greatest preparation for an endurance ride like the SS/BB would be to understand and realize MY reason for going the distance and to prove to myself that I can attempt such a ride.

Not for a plaque which says that I have an Iron Butt!! Ride to satisfy your pride not someone else's, ride for the right reasons.

Having said that, go for it, best of luck and ride safe.

Last edited by PGNarain : 25th February 2012 at 10:37.
Old 25th February 2012, 12:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsurge View Post
Try these:

Michael Kneebone
mkneebone@gmail.com; mkneebone@earthlink.net

Donna Fousek (very late in replying- god knows why, but still)
ibadonna@gmail.com

Ira Agins
iagins@yahoo.com (This guy is super prompt in replying- though he doesn't do the certification stuff, but just keep a cc to him, or else you can put him a mail requesting him to ask Michael to check on the status)

Quote:
Pulsurge has listed down all the email ids I've been in touch with. They usually take ages to reply because they do the certification and query responses as for passion and not as a daily job. All these individuals associated with IBA are professionals working at different organisations and are volunteers at IBA. mike is the guy who started IBA if I'm not wrong. (The IBA certificate is signed by mike in person. so assuming he is THE guy.)

NOTE : The submission of proofs and documentation has to be done in a PDF format. You can also send the docs as hard copy via courier but that is a long process. And Never send them originals. That was the first point they told me when I questioned them about submission of proofs.

Thank you puls. Best way to contact is through the query form in IBA is what I feel. Every time I send a query there, I got a reply for Ira in a day or two, so that should work too.
Team BHP rocks

Thank you for email IDs sirs I talked with many people but no one was willing to share the email IDs , we sent mails to donna@ironbutt.com many times but didn't received any reply, I think the email ids you have specified here are personal IDs. I just sent a mail lets see what's happen.

Thanks,
Vishal

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 25th February 2012 at 12:03.
Old 28th February 2012, 11:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 893278

@nav75 : Thank you for summing up. Sleep indeed is the worst enemy during the ride. Take a quick power nap and start again.
Thanks for pointing this out....till you mentioned it, we all were under an impression that it was an R15. Really miss Vinu on the FB forum- such a modest guy he was.
Old 29th October 2012, 16:25   #25
BHPian

Guys,

Very sorry for late reply, my friend Sagar (throttle_king) suggested me to put my experience here.

So after reading this thread and getting email ids from fellow BHPians I successfully got saddle sore certifications.

After submitting all the required documents to IBAapplication@gmail.com we got reply on the same day saying they received the documents and they will process it in some days. I was busy in preparation for new born's welcome so totally forgot about that and surprisingly I received there mail after months (guess 3) from kneebone@ironbutt.com and Lena Huizenga lena.huizenga@gmail.com saying that ride is approved and I can pay the charges and get the certificate and goodies.

The charges were very nominal (45$) in front of the achievement. we paid through Paypal and got the whole pack in another 15 days through post.

Our IBA id is 49299 and 49300

Please find the images below, most importantly they gave us one extra certificate (image No. 5) specifying that we (my friend Prashant and I) are first to attempt this on Royal Enfield STD 350

Saddle Sore on a Thunderbird-mail.jpg

Saddle Sore on a Thunderbird-156507_4006672774713_145466545_n.jpg

Saddle Sore on a Thunderbird-292264_4006673454730_1082640248_n.jpg

Saddle Sore on a Thunderbird-539889_4006671934692_889476297_n.jpg

Saddle Sore on a Thunderbird-540340_4006674254750_1663845675_n.jpg

Saddle Sore on a Thunderbird-560170_4006675094771_681170933_n.jpg

For all other photos clicked while riding see this link

Thanks,
Vishal
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 01:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Guys,

Very sorry for late reply, my friend Sagar (throttle_king) suggested me to put my experience here.

So after reading this thread and getting email ids from fellow BHPians I successfully got saddle sore certifications.

After submitting all the required documents to IBAapplication@gmail.com we got reply on the same day saying they received the documents and they will process it in some days. I was busy in preparation for new born's welcome so totally forgot about that and surprisingly I received there mail after months (guess 3) from kneebone@ironbutt.com and Lena Huizenga lena.huizenga@gmail.com saying that ride is approved and I can pay the charges and get the certificate and goodies.

The charges were very nominal (45$) in front of the achievement. we paid through Paypal and got the whole pack in another 15 days through post.

Our IBA id is 49299 and 49300

Please find the images below, most importantly they gave us one extra certificate (image No. 5) specifying that we (my friend Prashant and I) are first to attempt this on Royal Enfield STD 350

Attachment 1007535

Attachment 1007536

Attachment 1007537

Attachment 1007538

Attachment 1007539

Attachment 1007540

For all other photos clicked while riding see this link

Thanks,
Vishal
Hats off is all i can say. I've sent you a PM and also commented on few pics on FB , do respond when you get time.

Took me 10 years of planning and execution to conquer khardunlga pass on my Safari and have been dreaming to do SS on my TBTS since last 1.5 years now , hoping to do it/attempt it soon with your help.
Old 30th October 2012, 02:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Have you ridden an endurance ride before? Something in the region of 1000kms in a day or throughout night?

And forum member pulsurge started a thread at some other forum, am pasting a link for introspection. Riding challenges fine....but paying with your life :'(

And doing 1000kms in the comforts of a Car is a cake-walk, but doing even 400-500 kms (if you aren't riding often & long) would be aiding you to discover new muscles in your body.

Am not trying to demoralize you, but give it a thought & start with practice, be sure, be confident & then attempt. All the best
Read this article and it makes a lot of sense to me. Also im not hell bent on completing it , it can possibly take few attempts before i complete it finally.

But the bottomline is that i sure want to attempt it to taste the challange. It's like sky diving , you try it for the first time and may not live to tell the story .
harishnayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 23:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

Update - Working with HVK sir for route/time/things to do and other tips.

December is when ive decided to attempt it

1st endurance ride - Last weekend from Delhi to Deoria Taal ( 450 kms one side - 220 flat and 230 mountains ) and back the very next day - 900 kms in 2 days

2nd endurance ride planned on 24th and 25th Nov - DL to Jodhpur ( Bullet baba mandir ) - Bikaner ( rat temple ) - Delhi approx 1400 kms in 2 days

Getting the machine and the man ready for the big day
Old 11th November 2012, 09:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Update - Working with HVK sir for route/time/things to do and other tips.

December is when ive decided to attempt it

1st endurance ride - Last weekend from Delhi to Deoria Taal ( 450 kms one side - 220 flat and 230 mountains ) and back the very next day - 900 kms in 2 days

2nd endurance ride planned on 24th and 25th Nov - DL to Jodhpur ( Bullet baba mandir ) - Bikaner ( rat temple ) - Delhi approx 1400 kms in 2 days

Getting the machine and the man ready for the big day
With due respect, you are heading down the completely wrong path and are doing it COMPLETELY WRONG. Stop. PM me and take doctor arn's number - a coupleof bun burners, and many saddlesores. He can advise you (brutally though, he doesnt mince words, and he doesn't have a high opinion of enfield reliability, or too much of HH ZMA either).

DECEMBER = (some chance of) FOG + Bone chilling cold. Are you seriously planning it in Dec?? Wind chill will be simply brutal.

Then, riding 1400km in 2 days is NOT endurance of the level of saddlesore. Many many people manage 800km in 12 hours - it is just within the comfort zone. The problems begin afterwards - the vehicle gets stressed, the rider gets really tired and body gets stiff, nutrition / hydration goes for a toss. Its like we say in cycling, the 50% mark is not 50km, but 80km.

Deoria taal is again not useful for SS prep - your SS route will not be in the hills, nor will the roads be the same.

Instead, please do a high speed recce ride (say 1k km/12-13 hours) on your planned route so that you have an idea of what to expect/when, as well as gauge yourself outside your comfort zone.

Lastly, Its one thing to take a stock bike - another to mod it like arn did (multiple HID lights, on-the-move chain oiling system, jugaad fairing among other farkles) - u can touch base with him on this aspect as well.

-- bhai, i mean well, and want to see you successful, but I seriously think you're doing it wrongly. Hence the harsh tone of my post. Rest best of luck and god speed

Last edited by phamilyman : 11th November 2012 at 09:35.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 17:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

@harish,do not want to be spoilsport,but a Thunderbird,especially a 350 is a wrong choice for a Iron butt run,anything above 90,RE's start vibrating,lose their braking ability.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks