Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2012, 22:22   #1
TDC
BHPian

My brand new KTM engine seized!

I got my Duke 200 around 2 months back and did the first 1000 km running in as per the company guidelines and the next 1000 km building up the speed with short burst of up 110 kph. At around 2k km I got the opportunity to have a go at speed so gave it a shot. As soon as the speedo went over 100 kph, the bike began to slow down. After that a rattling noise started which got worse by the time I got home. Next day took it to the Ghatkopar service center where they gave the bike back to me after 6 days. They said the piston block seized and have replaced it under warranty. I asked why did it seize in the first place, to which the KTM "Service Manager" Mr Parvin says "Cooling system air pakkar liya". Now what on earth does that mean?!?! And that I should pay him Rs 100 for some transport charges for the material! Told him I ain't paying 1 rupee and want to talk to some higher ups after which he backed off. At this point in time I would use a string of expletives to describe the young hot headed kid they call "Service Manager", but then again our moderators would not appreciate it.

The bike had a major fork oil leak on day 3 which they 99% fixed, and the engine casing has been leaking more oil than my bullet parked next to it, which they have fixed on and off.

This really pains me because I really wanted the 690 more than any thing!

Last edited by GTO : 15th May 2012 at 13:19. Reason: We do NOT permit posts or videos of overspeeding on public roads
TDC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 00:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: My brand new KTM engine seized!

That sucks . Appreciate KTM replaced the block in warranty .

What is the remaining 1 % in the fork oil issue ?
Where is the engine leaking from casing ?

I have the oil spreading ( not dripping) ,but around the oil filter area . May be yours have more gap . They need to fix that thing for me next time I go .

Escalate via email and keep us posted .

Last edited by black12rr : 14th May 2012 at 00:39.
Old 14th May 2012, 04:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thats really bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC View Post
Next day took it to the Ghatkopar service center where they gave the bike back to me after 6 days.
What did the service center team tell you during this 6 days? Did they give you a (written) record of what work was carried out? if not please get it. it will help you in long run.

Do escalate it and keep us posted.
Old 14th May 2012, 07:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Air lock in the cooling system and the water/coolant didn't circulate?
It shouldn't have happened, bad maintenance by the A.S.S or from the factory.

Quote:
I asked why did it seize in the first place, to which the KTM "Service Manager" Mr Parvin says "Cooling system air pakkar liya". Now what on earth does that mean?!?!

...and the engine casing has been leaking more oil than my bullet parked next to it, which they have fixed on and off.
My cousin who stays in Cochin had his bike 1st service done at the Probiking center at Trivandrum - the only one in the state - after that he went back to Cochin and the next day he spotted oil leak from engine casing. He contacted the Bajaj dealer at Cochin and they said they couldn't help and so the bike was rode to Trivandrum. The service center replaced some gasket (clutch side i guess) and for which he was charged for the part. He shouldn't have paid for that but he did and rode back to Cochin.

QC seems to be lacking at KTM Bajaj.
Old 14th May 2012, 07:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

TDC - Sorry to hear your experience & I truly understand what this means as I too have undergone the same, but on a different motorcycle & my thread can be found here as well.

HMSI took about a week for me to replace the ENTIRE ENGINE BLOCK instead of just cylinder piston kit. BAL is more of customer centric company & I'm sure they'll take this up seriously & will fix all your issues to your satisfaction.

Things like these are bound to happen on any new product & pls don't let that deter you from motorcycling experience. I'm sure you'll love your Duke as much as I love my ride after all this bad experiences.

Pls keep us updated on the progress of your issue. Tks.

Last edited by aargee : 14th May 2012 at 07:55.
Old 14th May 2012, 10:39   #6
BHPian

Add one more case from Mumbai to this - but the engine oil was spotted in the coolant before the engine seized, so an appointment has been taken for a service/checkup by the owner.

If you top up your tank and then smell petrol for a while after that, it's because the fitting of the cover over the tank isn't perfect, and fuel leaks from the top of the tank. Bajaj quality in some places, looks like.
Old 14th May 2012, 11:34   #7
BHPian

TDC: What was the temp gauge reading on your high speed run? was it at the danger level, or below?
In your ~2k kms, how many times has the coolant level dropped, and did you personally refill the coolant? Or did the svc top it up during service.
Have you had coolant leaks from either the radiator or the reservoir cap.
Has your radiator any visible damage? Have you dropped the bike in your ownership, if so, details of the incident.

The answers to the above will help us diagnose. The duke is not a delicate bike by any means. Many of us have been running the bike at >8.5k rpm from day one, with no issues regarding overheating or seizure.

Stay strong, do not accept incomplete repair jobs like that done on your front forks, if they are defective with <3k kms on the odo, demand a replacement. And demand a written account of all the work they have performed, a printout of your service history asked politely will reveal all. Tell them you want it for your records.

Write to info@ktmindia.com with details of your problem. details of the svc staff, and what they have been doing. If possible attach scanned copies of your service history report.
Old 14th May 2012, 13:41   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The bike had a major fork oil leak on day 3 which they 99% fixed, and the engine casing has been leaking more oil than my bullet parked next to it, which they have fixed on and off.

This really pains me because I really wanted the 690 more than any thing!
TDC - Was surprised to read your post. I was hoping Bajaj had upped their Quality game with the arrival of the D200 & the upcoming P200NS but looks like it really hasnt. Also could you explain the 99% fixed part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isodope View Post
If you top up your tank and then smell petrol for a while after that, it's because the fitting of the cover over the tank isn't perfect, and fuel leaks from the top of the tank. Bajaj quality in some places, looks like.
Wow, that really is unbelievable & unexpected. This isnt the 1980s. I own a 2002 P150 and Im quite happy with it but I wouldnt really plonk my money down on another Bajaj until they pull up their socks.
Old 14th May 2012, 14:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thats really sad man, was the engine overheating before this ? did you noticed the temps ?

How is the bike now after repairs ? is the performance everything is same ? i guess you should write to bajaj and ask for replacement. or at least replace the engine on the bike. or you can ask them for extended warranty on the engine.

I have been really revvin the bike like crazy after first 1000kms were over, in first 4 gears, touching rev limiter several times, this thread makes me think again about my riding style or if it is really safe.
Old 14th May 2012, 14:29   #10
Team-BHP Support

What is the current status? You got your bike? Is it performing optimally? I believe you got to do the run-in again.
Old 14th May 2012, 16:24   #11
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the bike. Hope Bajaj KTM does all the needful for you. Thank god, i didn't go ahead and buy the KTM Duke 200, cant believe that the bike is supposed to be launched soon in Europe, Bajaj better pull their socks up fast. Bajaj, you just lost a customer.
Old 14th May 2012, 16:37   #12
TDC
BHPian

The oil was leaking from the oil filter area. After they worked on the bike, it has stopped. The remaining 1% fork oil issue is that after they stopped the major oil leak, it still seeps oil ever so slightly around the top nut on the right yoke, not enough to be wet but enough to catch dirt and always be dirty. The "service manager" tried giving some BS explanation but when I shot it down he agreed I'm right and just shrugged and walked off.

At the exact time the bike seized i did not see the temp gauge. But in the 2k km I've ridden the bike, its always been around the 2/3 mark once going up to 3/4th mark. Never higher. And I ride very "spirited" myself so am now wondering how delicate is this bike.

The coolant has never leaked and I've kept a tab on it and it was topped up at the first service. Even though the engine oil was leaking I kept an eye on it and it was at the correct level. Never had an issue with the petrol smell some guys seem to be having.

I did drop the bike once (a week earlier) and the rear brake pedal snapped like a twig so I replaced it myself. Apart from that I don't know what there is to say. I guess I'll write to info@ktm and follow up on the fork leak. Arrgh, the service center guys really gives me high blood pressure.

The funny thing is I bought this bike as a second bike as the reliable practical ride so I can work on my bullet at leisure and don't suffer from biking withdrawals!! Lol!!
Old 14th May 2012, 16:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sad to read about your issue TDC. The good part is that they replaced the faulty bits. Do ask for an extended warranty on the engine. That should give you some peace of mind in the long run.

I was eagerly following the KTM updates and honestly, the leaking oil, coolant going low, fuel evaporation, etc. has disappointed me. Its an awesome bike no doubt but even small things like this matter a lot when its an international marquee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Awesomeness View Post
cant believe that the bike is supposed to be launched soon in Europe, Bajaj better pull their socks up fast.
Not sure if Bajaj has a separate assembly line for export models/bikes like Royal Enfields do. But someone did mention in one of the KTM threads that the European customers also were complaining about some quality issues in their KTM's as well.

Last edited by n_aditya : 14th May 2012 at 16:41.
Old 14th May 2012, 17:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Not sure how a bike suddenly becomes adaptaple to the higher temperature at higher RPM and Speed. This whole 1000 km below 60 and then rip the heart out does not make sense.

I saw this bike and was quite impressed with the design. The niggles are more than minor and irritating. I would advice you to slowly tune the engine for high speed and not worry about this 1000Km limit.
Old 14th May 2012, 17:22   #15
BHPian

This is indeed surprising to hear. But what is not, is the service people's response to the problem. I shudder to think what explanation i might get if god forbid something like this happens to my Ninja. A.S.S is a major issue with all manufacturers be it bajaj,honda, yamaha suzuki or anyone else. hope this is the last of your problems.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks