Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 18:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

2012 TVS Apache 160 and 180

http://motoroids.com/recent-launches...s-and-details/

Quote:
  • Engine response is exactly the same as the previous version. No change.
  • The distance between the front and rear footpegs felt reduced. While leaning, with the ball of the sole on the pegs, I could feels my ankles touching the rear foot peg. Can’t be really sure about this one though. It’s an irritating feeling though.
  • Headlamps are bright, and perform well in the night.
  • The pilots lamps are always on. There is no switch or button to turn them on or off.
  • New plastic panels have been added at various places.
  • A new tri-color logo at the visor and rear tail piece.
  • I found new leg guard very useful and rigid, better than the earlier one.
  • The quality of the new engine undercowl is bad. It felt loosely fastened and the plastic quality didn’t seem strong enough to brave the pebbles ricocheting from the front tyre.
  • TVS tyres lack grip.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 TVS Apache 160 and 180-setwidth600new2012tvsapchertr10.jpg  

jkdas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 18:38   #2
BHPian

Re: 2012 TVS Apache 160 and 180

Thanks to its designers, the new version has been killed in the womb!! I have not found a single line that flows in symmetry from head to tail on this bike!

Given a chance, I would love to meet the boffins at TVS who approved such a eye sore to final production!! I strongly feel TVS should rework on the design before the new Pulsar 200 is launched, else, Apache would dig its own grave and fast!

Last edited by vinair : 24th May 2012 at 18:41.
Old 25th May 2012, 15:04   #3
BHPian

I believe HS Goindi, the marketing head of TVS has been shown the door. And for good effect.

Work has started on the next gen Apache. It might have an all new aluminium swing arm, plus monoshock most probably. Yes its a higher displacement machine - possibly 220 or 250 cc.

Reference bikes are KTM duke, R15 v2.0 and CBR 250.

cheers!
sai
sai_ace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 12:55   #4
BHPian

I had a chance to TD the 180, Frankly I dont think the looks are that bad in person, Yes, it is not what we expected the RTR to grow into but it is not plain ugly either ofcourse 'IMHO'.

The bike felt smooth, I had ridden a used efi before and this 180 felt a bit underpowered, The bike had only 190Kms on it so the engine would probably open up.

My Daily rides are the Rx 100 & 135 and am relatively inexperienced in 4strokes, that might also be a reason why it felt underpowered.
Slick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 21:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

hey JK - some more picture comparing the two bikes would be nice.
Old 7th June 2012, 04:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

In the photo in first post, the bike on left looks like a pulsar. Especially the headlight assembly. Wish they had gone for a proper redesign along with more power.

God Save TVS.
Old 21st February 2013, 17:23   #7
BHPian

Hi Guyz, can anybody suggest a good place to service my Apache in Bangalore?? (preferably in a nd around HSR layout). Am fed up of the showroom servicing. TIA!
Old 23rd August 2022, 19:13   #8

Hello everyone!

Might be a surprise for a lot of you, but I still have my 2012 RTR 180 and it's working in perfect condition!

In todays day and age the bike still have not lost it's grunt and have really good mid range torque. After so many years of driving I am used to the vibration in handlebar from 4.5k rpm.

I'm doing all my maintenance at TVS service centre only since the beginning and there's been few parts changed during almost 11 years of ownership! There's new chain sprocket, new front and rear disk brakes, tyres have been changed twice, headlight reflector (I rear ended splendour at almost 50kmph. No injury to me as I was wearing helmet and shoes. Other guy had minor scratches. Surprisingly Broken headlight reflector was the only damage on my bike and not a single scratch on splendour!) and the odo still reads at mare 65k.

Since I got the bike for my daily college commute, the initial 30k running was in first 4 years as the college commute was 40+ kms daily. after that I have been and still is very fortunate that I have all 4 of my jobs in no more than 10km circle from my house in Pune!

Now I'm looking for few upgrades in lighting department, mostly aesthetics one. I've been looking forward to do it since long time but big issue with the wiring is headlight is connected to the dynamo and that makes wiring a pain in the.....

If someone here can guide me how to install some kind of DRL it would be of great help!

P.S. I am a bhpian since almost 5 years, but this is my first post on this forum. Mods, kindly direct me to correct thread if this is not correct one. Thanks in advance.
MeanMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 19:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMachine View Post
- I still have my 2012 RTR 180 and it's working in perfect condition!
- After so many years of driving I am used to the vibration in handlebar from 4.5k rpm.
- Now I'm looking for few upgrades in lighting department, mostly aesthetics one.
Welcome and congrats on your first post

- I have mine from 2011 which still rides like new, similar changes. Mine had spent 1.5 years being parked in a basement. Did a service and got some pending consumables replaced and did a 4000+ km trip immediately after that, no issues and performed as it always had.

- Hear that
I have really enjoyed the chilled out ride at 4000rpm/55kmph while getting 50-55kmpl and also the surge post 6000rpm that really shows what the bike's about.

- While I cannot help you on this front since I don't have any experience but I would suggest to check the impact of what you're doing as the only complaint I had heard was issues with the wiring, probably a carryover from the Suzuki days.

Last edited by shancz : 23rd August 2022 at 19:58. Reason: typos
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks