Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2012, 10:58   #16

Re: Bullet : 350 Twinspark vs Electra Twinspark

Hi abhishek24x, can you share some latest updates / review on your std 350?
There are very few who go for the Std 350 and I am going to be one of them.
Mostly all the threads are full with C3 or C5.

Would help to know how the new Std 350 2012 editions are performing.
Old 24th August 2012, 11:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Cruze View Post
Hi abhishek24x, can you share some latest updates / review on your std 350?
There are very few who go for the Std 350 and I am going to be one of them.
Mostly all the threads are full with C3 or C5.

Would help to know how the new Std 350 2012 editions are performing.
i also thought of coming up with a review but since most people had already published their reviews on c3 n c5 so i never came up with one..
But after riding the bike for over 2months and covering up almost 2800kms on it i feel that an ownership review on Bullet 350 is needed as its differnt from classics and other bullets.

i'll surely post a detailed review by today evening or by tommorrow afternoon..
abhishek24x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 11:59   #18

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 21st September 2012 at 14:46.
AB_Cruze is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th September 2012, 10:26   #19

Hey abhishek24x, still waiting for your write-up on Std 350.
My decision on buying the bull hinges on your review.

Please post some pics as well.
Old 18th September 2012, 13:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry for the delay, my post I ready & will be available by the evening. In the mean time you can go through the pics of my bike..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vbpicg...do=view&g=4877
Old 18th September 2012, 14:04   #21
BHPian

Re: 350 Twinspark vs Electra Twinspark

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
But I have always felt that the Electra packs a more spirited acceleration due to it's final drive ratio and less crank weight.
When you say final drive ratio is different, is it the sprocket tooth that you are talking about?
How different is it from that of the Standard?
Old 18th September 2012, 17:50   #22
BHPian

Hi,

I do not wish to hijack this thread or the discussion, but would like to share my experience on Bullet STD UCE. This is not a complete ownership report, but some feedback based on my experience with the Bullet 350 UCE.
I purchased the bullet after having 3 test rides – 3 rides because I was apprehensive about the weight of the bike and hence wanted to be sure that I can handle it.

Ownership experience so far:
I have been riding since almost 2 years now and have clocked around 8500kms. It has generally been a trouble free vehicle. I had read horror stories of multiple problems faced by many bulletiers, and was in dual minds at the time of purchase, however most issues were pertaining to the C5 model and hence I was convinced that 350 UCE would just be fine.

Touch wood, but so far it has not given me any major trouble. Problems faced during initial period (of around 6 – 8 months from date of purchase):

a. Dark (almost black) exhaust gases: This was due to incorrect tuning of the carburetor. It was addressed by the dealer here in Pune.

b. After the 3rd Service, the bullet started giving lot of starting troubles – The problem was to the extent that it required 20 – 25 kicks to bring it to life. The RE dealer sorted out the problem. He told that there was a problem with the carburetor ‘slide’ – which he fixed and also adjusted the carb. He also set the idle RPM to correct level. Apparently due to incorrect idle RPM setting the engine was dying out.

c. After starting the vehicle in the morning, I observed that without running it on idle, if I take it out for ride, after about 300 meters or so, the engine used to die completely. The bike used to behave as if there is no fuel left. It used to come to life only after 10 – 15 kicks and then too I had to rev it really hard to keep it alive. After travelling a km or so, the bike used to behave completely normal.

As usual, I took it to the dealer. The dealer told me to follow the ritual of warming up the bike in morning hours i.e. start it (preferably with choke on), and let it idle for around 2 minutes, then gradually increase throttle and hold it for another minute or so.

I have not faced this problem ever again since I started following this method.

d. Water coming out of silencer: I had observed this in the mornings that some drops of water used to come out of the silencer along with the exhaust gases. I was under impression that that somehow water was entering the silencer (say at the time of washing it, or may be rains water) and it would damage the vehicle. I took it to the A.S.S. They told me that this actually is a sign of a correctly tuned engine and it implies that catalytic convertor is doing its job well – only water vapors are exiting and no carbon monoxide!

e. Last one: This was not a problem as such. Basically I came to know from an internet forum that RE is doing free upgrade to resonator box for Standards and Electras sold in a specific time period. I dropped a note to the dealer on this. I was called in for the free replacement the same weekend. They replaced the resonator box, the air filter and the carburetor slide.

If you are a potential buyer and confused on which model to buy but inclined towards standard UCE, here are some points that you may read through.

1. The look and feel of legendary bullet: Looks are subjective, but for me it was Standard all the way.
2. Heavy Crank: While I was not aware of this at the time of purchase, and thus this was not a decision making factor for me, but it does help in city driving. It can easily pull through in 4th gear at speed of 30 -35kmph; Can pull through in 5th gear at 45 - 50 kmph.
3. I somehow feel that the thump it generates is different than that of Electra or C3.
4. Mileage (though most bulletiers do not care about this) - I have been getting mileage of around 43 - 45 kmpl.

Standard UCE Cons:
1. Lacks the thump - Don't buy this if you are expecting thump like 70's CI bulls. Thump can be taken care to a good extent by changing the silencer to Short Bottle one (or Goldstar silencer).
My bullet is on Short Bottle (Indore ) silencer and I find it fine to my taste.
2. Engine is generally quite noisy - Tappet noise is at times more than the engine exhaust note. (This is common for all UCE engines and not only Standard UCE).
3. Only kick-start is available - No electric start. Personally I don't feel that this is a con because kick-start is extremely easy. It comes to life in one or two kicks.
4. Poor Braking: With drum brakes for both wheels, the braking is below expectations. One needs to manage braking by means of a) applying both brakes together b) Decelerating and shifting down the gears

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2012 at 11:13. Reason: Removing FONT Tags. PM coming up
bulletboy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 17:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:

I've come up with a long term review..plz go through the following link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...rm-review.html
abhishek24x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 17:41   #24

Re: 350 Twinspark vs Electra Twinspark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I am not sure if it is the exact same crank as the CI500 that was on the CI350 Std.
But I know for a fact it was a heavier one than the one used in the Electra CI350 as it was told to me on a REM Factory tour a couple of years back.
yes the standard 350 has got a heavier crank. It is in the royal enfield website too.
http://www.royalenfield.com/motorcyc...s.aspx?model=6
Old 2nd October 2014, 13:52   #25
BHPian

Which Bull to go for??

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I am in a similar dilemma. I've had a taste of the Bullet way of life by riding a friend's 2008 Electra (CI engine, 5 spd, LHS gear) and I am absolutely hooked on the feeling of riding a Bull. Now I have to have one of my own. But which one? Old or new? Std, Electra, or Classic? 350 or 500? I'm utterly confused and need a bit of advice!

The only bullets I've ridden are latest Thunderbird 350, the 2008 Electra, and an old monster - An '85 model 350 with gears on the 'wrong' (or right, depending on who you ask) side, heavy crank, customized to look like a Desert Storm with split seats and Classic bits.

Of these, the TB350 felt like my old Pulsar 150, I had to revv it quite a bit to get it moving, and it definitely did not have the thump I was expecting. I'm just 5'2" and the bike felt just wrong. I was barely able to see over the meters!

The old '85 was really hard to ride for me, because of the switched pedals. I had to take care to shift correctly, emergency braking always had me clawing at the non effective front drum brake and it was not fun... at least, not until I got it to the open road, and was able to relax and enjoy the thump. But even after repeated tries, I kept mucking up the controls and I don't think I want one, even though the thump is pretty awesome.

The 2008 Electra was the best of the lot. It was quicker revving and faster than the '85 and felt more solid and stable than the Thunderbird. The tall seating and the high handlebar also made it the most comfortable.

I haven't had a chance to test out the Classic or the new UCE Electra/STD yet. I've arranged for a test drive later this week. Is there a difference in the feel of the UCE engine in the new STD, Electra and Classic vs. the Thunderbird?

I am pretty sure that I won't be replacing this Bull anytime soon. This will be my primary ride, for office commute, weekend trips (less than 500 kms round trip) etc. The Pulsar will also be with me, as it has run just 34k in 10 years, is a gem, and will fetch only peanuts if I sell it now.

I generally expect my bikes to work properly, and am not inclined to modify it too much, other than perhaps a louder exhaust, better tyres or a performance air filter. The less time I spend at the mechanic the better, though I do love tinkering with my bike myself.

Fuel costs are not a huge concern, anything above 35 kpl would be great.

I have shortlisted the Std 350, Electra, Classic 350 and the Std 500 as of now. The only shortcoming I can find in the Std 350 is the lack of disc brake (I'm used to using the front brake more, from the Pulsar) and electric start. From here, I've heard that the 350s have inferior internals compared to the 500s. Is this right, and should I skip everything else and just go for the Std 500?

My friends are urging me to go for older pre-UCE Bulls instead, saying that the 5 speed Electras and Machismos are a real bargain in second hand markets now. They insist that the UCE though more reliable, does not feel anything like a bullet. All advice is appreciated!!

Last edited by vivekgk : 2nd October 2014 at 14:18. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd October 2014, 02:42   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

As you say fuel costs are not a huge concern, you will be doing yourself a disservice if you don't take a ride on a fuel injected RE 500 UCE.

The difference in torque and acceleration when compared with any of the RE 350's is impressive, to say the least.

The fuel injection, made by one of the worlds premier Japanese companies in automotive and motorcycle fuel injection is totally dependable.

The electric starter (also Japanese made) and the sprag clutch on models newer than 2010 also can be trusted to give you dependable starting, as long as the battery is maintained.

Although the pre-UCE Royal Enfields have their followers, the 500cc UCE powered models do not overheat or seize pistons. The hydraulic valve lifters totally eliminate the need to constantly readjust the valve clearance. Fiddling around with a compression release is no longer needed. The front disk brake is dependable and powerful and, perhaps most important to many, the same basic frame and good handling is still there.

Does anyone need a 500 cc Royal Enfield?
Perhaps not if it is going to be ridden only in the cities but as soon as the bike is taken out on the highways its ability to cruise along at 100+ kmph for hours without effort is a blessing.
Passing power is instantly available if and when needed as is the ability to climb steep grades if any are encountered.

All this plus the engines willingness to putt along at low speeds gives the owner all of the good things the old Royal Enfields had without the hassle of the past.

The only negative thing that comes to mind is the cost.
Because of all of the things I mentioned above plus more, a used UCE 500 will be expensive.
On the other hand, they will hold their value as more and more people recognize the vast improvements these motorcycles have incorporated into their design.

At least, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 13:11   #27
BHPian

Re: Which Bull to go for??

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I am in a dilemma
Well.Let me make it simple for you,I own an 83 CI and have ridden both the UCE 350's and 500's extensively(EFI).

I strongly suggest that you go for the UCE.Its much better as compared to the old CI's.I would never tell anyone to go for a used CI,especially as their first bike,Unless they are grease monkeys.

Since you mentioned a highway trip.

The 350 can average 80-90 km/h.

The 500 EFI can average around 110-120 Km/h.

An old CI 4 speed(like mine)would be most comfortable(least stressed) puttering around at 60-70 km/h.

About the feel of the CI,well I think the ones who've owned them for a while can truly tell and feel the difference between the UCE and CI.Hence thats why a lot of bulleteers say that the UCE lacks "feel".

Since you are new to Enfields its best to go for the UCE.Between the various models or the 350 or the 500,once you TD em you'll have a pretty good idea.Just my 2 cents.
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 13:45   #28
BHPian

Re: Which Bull to go for??

Beautifully explained. I agree , the new breed of Software/BPO Enfield buyers are better off on the UCE. Easier to start, easier to ride, cheaper to service.

On the other hand , when things go wrong , the UCE is very, very expensive to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Well.Let me make it simple for you,I own an 83 CI and have ridden both the UCE 350's and 500's extensively(EFI).

I strongly suggest that you go for the UCE.Its much better as compared to the old CI's.I would never tell anyone to go for a used CI,especially as their first bike,Unless they are grease monkeys.
Since you are new to Enfields its best to go for the UCE.Between the various models or the 350 or the 500,once you TD em you'll have a pretty good idea.Just my 2 cents.
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 20:48   #29
BHPian

Thanks for taking your time to reply, everyone! I've had a chance to visit the dealer and test drive almost everything I wanted except for the Electra, Classic 500 and the Continental.

The test drive was a great experience, the staff were well informed and willing to let me draw my own conclusions than try and railroad me. They were attentive, even on a crowded day.

Marikar Motors at Trivandrum have been selling Ambys and Bullets since before I was born and today, there was a yellow Continental GT parked right at the main lobby area. I was drawn to it like a moth to a flame and I really wanted to take it out for a spin, but the salesperson, Rahul informed me that the demo Continental was being serviced.

Bullet : 350 Twinspark vs Electra Twinspark-upload1.jpg

They did not have an Electra for demo. In fact, they did not have it in stock at all and would have to be ordered. The staff were asked by RE to make sure that all customers test drove at least three models, and I chose the Std 350, Std 500 and the Classic 350 & 500.

Here's the price list I got.
Bullet : 350 Twinspark vs Electra Twinspark-upload2.jpg

While I was waiting for the TD bike to be ready, I clicked some pics of the various beauties on display. Enjoy!!

Bullet : 350 Twinspark vs Electra Twinspark-upload3.jpg
Classic 500 - New Shade -Tan with Cherry stripes

Bullet : 350 Twinspark vs Electra Twinspark-upload4.jpg
Classic 500 - New Shade -Silver with Black stripes

Bullet : 350 Twinspark vs Electra Twinspark-upload5.jpg
Another Continental GT on display. There were three, two red and one yellow. Incidentally, there is no waiting period for them.

Test Riding the Bulls

The Classic 350: Drove this one first. While it was noticeably more powerful than my Pulsar, it did not have the oomph of the CI Electra, and I felt there was a bit of a lag between my twisting the throttle and the power coming on. The bike was a new one, barely a month old from the registration, and had the new decals. Vibes were much improved, the engine revved smoothly with a muted thump from the silencer. Handling was stable, and I had no difficulty leaning into corners speed, braking was good and it felt great overall.

The Standard 350: The sales guy mentioned that this was his favourite, because of the heavy crank and the original looks. He was the one who insisted that I give this one a chance although I had initially dismissed it due to the lack of disc and ES. To me, the old Std looks weren't that appealing at all, and the Machismo and the Electra were more my style. I prefer the round rear fender and the extra chrome.

You sit taller on this bike. The kick start is much improved over the CI models, with the auto de-comp and not having to watch the amp meter. As I pulled out, I felt the engine was slower to rev, but I could feel the thump much more on this. The gears were harder to slot. The bike pulled cleanly at lower revs, and the heavier crank was making this feel a bit more like the CI engine. The nasty surprise though, was the handling. It was absolutely horrible. The bike was reluctant to lean, was highly twitchy on every corner, and the front drum brake was every bit as horrible as I imagined it would be. Mind you, I was not exactly scorching the tarmac on this ride, I'm talking about taking a corner at about 45-50 kph and a sharp turn at about 20 kph.

The tyres on this bike are 3.25-19. I did not notice the brand, it could have been CEAT. Anyway, there was a block pattern on the rear and a rib on the front. I feel this is entirely irresponsible of RE, to provide such undersized tyres in outdated patterns on a bike costing 1 lac. At least a Nylogrip and proper treads on the front tyre should be offered as standard. I'm told that the Electra too comes with similar rubber, but my friend has changed the rear to a Nylogrip 3.50 on his.

The Standard 500: Now I get to the best part of the experience, the Standard 500. This was the oldest of the three, and there was even a bit of rust on the silencer, and the Forest Green shade looked like it was due for a good wash and polish. But then, it all went away as soon as I had inserted the key and started the bike...

Someone on the forum posted that you should NOT test ride the 500 if you are considering the 350, and they were 100% right. From the moment I started off on this bike, till the moment I took it back into the lot, I had a grin stretching my face. The engine sounded much better, the gearshifts were more positive, the low end response was awesome, and the handling was beautiful. At a traffic light, I could feel the engine slowly thumping away under the seat, and it felt somehow more grown-up than the 350. I did try giving her a bit of throttle on an empty straight, and was surprised to see 85 kph come up on the speedo in what felt like no time at all. I haven't had enough experience with bullets to judge between the UCE and CI engines, but the 500 UCE felt like the best of two worlds to me: It felt like what I wanted a bullet to feel like, and it is a new engine with better reliability. I feel this is it!!!

As for the Classic 500, it started to drizzle just as I was parking the S500, and I was already sold on it and didn't think I needed to drive the C5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Beautifully explained. I agree , the new breed of Software/BPO Enfield buyers are better off on the UCE. Easier to start, easier to ride, cheaper to service.

On the other hand , when things go wrong , the UCE is very, very expensive to fix.
I'm not exactly the typical software/BPO new bullet buyer, I am a boring guy, who works at an old State Bank.

I've always loved bikes and for long, I despised the Enfields for their leaky, hungry, unreliable nature, and age old obsolete tech. It's just that I feel I've reached a point in my life where I would like to slow down my pace and enjoy the trip. And the bullet seems like the kind of bike that would be a perfect companion. Plus, now that they seem to be doing some actual R&D and improving their bikes.

I agree that the UCE might turn out to be expensive to fix, but then, I am counting on the warranty. (fingers crossed). With an older bike, ironing out every small niggle will require me reaching into my own pocket, and going by some threads on this forum itself, even the old engine's parts arent that cheap. My friends' bikes seem to need regular TLC from the mechanic to keep them running trouble free. This is one of the reasons I'm also keeping a lookout for any late model CI 350s or 500s. Only Electras or Machismos, as I really need the ES and the Disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post

Since you mentioned a highway trip.

The 350 can average 80-90 km/h.

The 500 EFI can average around 110-120 Km/h.

An old CI 4 speed(like mine)would be most comfortable(least stressed) puttering around at 60-70 km/h.

About the feel of the CI,well I think the ones who've owned them for a while can truly tell and feel the difference between the UCE and CI.Hence thats why a lot of bulleteers say that the UCE lacks "feel".

Thank You. As I mentioned above, I think I will go for the Std 500. My comfort zone on a bike is between 80 and 90 on the highway, sometimes 75 if I'm not in a rush to get anywhere. I think the 500 should be ideal, because it would have the reserve power to overtake without having to shift down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
As you say fuel costs are not a huge concern, you will be doing yourself a disservice if you don't take a ride on a fuel injected RE 500 UCE.

The difference in torque and acceleration when compared with any of the RE 350's is impressive, to say the least.

The fuel injection, made by one of the worlds premier Japanese companies in automotive and motorcycle fuel injection is totally dependable.

The electric starter (also Japanese made) and the sprag clutch on models newer than 2010 also can be trusted to give you dependable starting, as long as the battery is maintained.

Although the pre-UCE Royal Enfields have their followers, the 500cc UCE powered models do not overheat or seize pistons. The hydraulic valve lifters totally eliminate the need to constantly readjust the valve clearance. Fiddling around with a compression release is no longer needed. The front disk brake is dependable and powerful and, perhaps most important to many, the same basic frame and good handling is still there.

Does anyone need a 500 cc Royal Enfield?
Perhaps not if it is going to be ridden only in the cities but as soon as the bike is taken out on the highways its ability to cruise along at 100+ kmph for hours without effort is a blessing.
Passing power is instantly available if and when needed as is the ability to climb steep grades if any are encountered.

All this plus the engines willingness to putt along at low speeds gives the owner all of the good things the old Royal Enfields had without the hassle of the past.

The only negative thing that comes to mind is the cost.
Because of all of the things I mentioned above plus more, a used UCE 500 will be expensive.
On the other hand, they will hold their value as more and more people recognize the vast improvements these motorcycles have incorporated into their design.

At least, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
Thanks for all the great advice. All of it has been immensely useful in helping me make my decision to go for the Std 500. I am reluctant still to go for the EFI 500, because of RE's decision to offer a cut down version of the export version EFI here. They have compromised, and that makes me wary. But I will heed your advice and take a test drive of the Classic before I make the booking.

As for resale value, the only models that seem to be holding on to their value down here in the South are the Classics, which actually command a premium owing to the waiting period, and the Standard 350, which seems to be immensely popular, though I cant figure out why. Must be a Bullet thing. The 500s are hard to dispose of here in the South, as is the case with any bike that gives less than 35-40 kpl. I have seen 2014 model Electras on sale for about 1 lac, which is 20% off the price of a new one. 500s are also rare here, and not popular. Though that's starting to change.
Old 14th June 2015, 14:24   #30
BHPian

Hello
The bullet bug seems to have bitten me as well. So, after a long search, I've managed to lay my hands on an Electra 5S with front drum brakes. The owner quoted 75k initially but I managed to get him down to 65K. Its a 2007 model and is supposed to have done around 15000 kms only. Is 65k ok price for a 2007 electra 5S with left gear and front drum brakes? Pl advice bullet gurus

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks