Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2012, 19:29   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Long term ownership report of Pulsar 150 DTSi

I am or rather was a proud owner of a silver grey Pulsar 150 DTSi. It is a May '04 model, with round headlamp and has clocked 43k kms. I got it 3 years ago with 17k kms under its belt.

A bit of background: The story starts on 6th April 2009. I was delivered a 5 year old,shining P150 at my doorstep. It belonged to a colleague of my dad who was retiring shortly and didnt want to use a heavy bike at all, wanted to move on to an Activa. My dad heard his offer to sell his bike and decided to buy it for me.

The bike was in very good shape but had a rusted silencer(a common Bajaj problem). Also the stock shock absorbers were replaced with the new gas charged ones.

After buying, I changed the lock set and started saving for a new silencer set. The bike was very peppy and stable but heavy and difficult to maneuver in city. Tried once and attained 115 KMPH indicated, before running out of road.

I changed the silencer to a new Exhaustec one(Rs.3050) and there was a significant change in the driveability in the lower gears. The bike pulled cleanly from 2k RPM with a sudden surge comming post 3k RPM(almost like a turbo-spool). I loved it and the new silencer was definitely worth it.

The downside was I felt the top-end had become blunted/restricted. The bike wasn't free/happy beyond 90kmph, though it did go upto 100 kmph whenever I took it. I never ventured beyond. The sweet-spot was cruising at 70-80kmph all day long, with no vibrations and a sweet burble behind you.

Performance:

Acceleration was good but was a bit in-sufficient for the new-gen 150cc/180cc bikes. But I was happy with it. It lacked a bit of top-end but I used it in the 70-80kmph range and the bike had quite a punch.

Handling:

The bike was very stable on the highways and wasn't much affected by the cross-winds. Corners were never its forte and you need to plan before approaching a tight corner. The bike was heavy and wasn't very nimble in the city,compared to the Caliber.

Braking:

The front disc was a life saver for me on several occasions and were pretty much adequate for me. The rear brake was also fine. Panicky situations didn't bring any drama.

Fuel Efficiency:
Now the best part. My Caliber used to return anything between 40-50 kmpl in city and 50-55 kmpl on highway. To be noted: I use heavy throttle and like ripping the bike in the city.
The Pulsar returned a min. of 45 kmpl in city and max. of 53 kmpl. On the high way, it returned min. of 57+ kmpl at speeds 60-70kmph and a best figure of 69 kmpl. It hovered over 60+ kmpl many a times.

Will be putting up a list of spare-parts change and regular maintenance that I did during the 3 years.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 12:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Long term ownership report of Pulsar 150 DTSi

The bike, my Silver Streak, proved to be reliable for the 3.5 years that it was with me. It never let me down and was fuss free.

After buying the bike, the first and only problem that I faced was the rusting of fuel tank(a common problem due to water seeping into the fuel tank). I got the tank drained and more than a litre of water came out. Got the tank cleaned and repainted.
Total cost Rs.500.

Also changed the whole lock set, consisting of the main handle lock, the 2 side-panel locks and the fuel tank lock(total of 4 locks + 2 keys). Cost me Rs 510.

At 20,000kms, the rusty silencer was roaring at higher RPM, to my disliking. Placed an order for a new one as it was not readily available.
Also the tail lamp was fused.

The parts changed were-
Silencer - Original Exhaustec(black color)- Rs 3050 + Rs. 20 for fitting
Tail lamp bulb- Rs 20

At 22,000 kms, the brakes felt a bit inadequete. Got then checked at the routine service. Rear pads were changed. Front pads were fine another 5-8k kms but I got then changed as they were almost 6 years old.
Rear brake pad - Rs 120(Bajaj Genuine part)
Front brake Disc pad - Rs 137(TVS)

After the front brake pad change, the front wheel wasn't free. I felt the brakes didn't release properly after braking. Got it checked and found that the release/rebound spring in the brake assembly near the brake lever was rusted and broken. Since the spring isn't available standalone, I had to buy the whole brake assembly(consists of a spring, a piston, a couple of washers and a rubber bulb type cap).

Top Brake assembly(Bajaj KBX make)- Rs 312

At 31,000 kms, the rear tyre(MRF Zapper 90/90) was giving up during cornering or rash riding. I was also getting wheel-spins in 1st/2nd gear under hard acceleration(which I loved and yet, safety is more important). So I got the rear tyre changed. (The tyre store owner was trying to convince me not to change the tyre as according to him, it still had thread for another 7k kms.)
Rear tyre- Ceat 100/90 -Rs 1600
Tail lamp Bulb- Rs 20
Rear left side indicator- Rs 100

At 33,000 kms,
The horn was not working properly. It didn't work sometimes. The mechanic said one of the dual horns had turned weak. It was changed but the problem persisted. Checked out the horn switch and found that it was corroded. Since the switch isn't available separately, had to change the complete switchgear.

Left switchgear set(non-illuminating type)- Rs 560.
Left dual horn- Rs 120

At 34,xxx kms, the speedometer went kaput. Got the speedo cable changed and everything was fine. Also got the clutch cable and accelerator cable changed, as a preventive measure(probably they were the original 7 year,35k kms old) and for smoother feeling. I was happy.

Speedo cable - Rs 70
Clutch cable- Rs 130
Accelerator cable - Rs 120

At 37,xxx kms(Dec '11), the bike had been lying idle for almost 3 months as I had been posted at B'lore and my bike was at Bhubaneswar. The battery had become weak and dad got it changed.

Amaron MF battery- Rs 1600

After that, got my bike transported to B'lore and received it on 17th Jan '12. Started using it here in B'lore.

At 39,xxx kms, the headlight illumination felt low. Got the bulb changed at a Bajaj A**. They didn't have any branded bulb. I had to make do with a local one.
Bulb- Rs 40 + fitting Rs 10.

I wasn't happy. So at the 40k kms service, I again got the bulb changed. To my dismay, again a local brand bulb was available. I wasn't getting time from office to look around for Philips/Osram, so again compromised. But, I was happy. The local brand bulb was more than upto the mark.

Bulb- Rs 50
Front Left side indicator- Rs 110
Tail lamp bulb(again?) - Rs 20

Now after 8 years and 43k kms later, the bike could still happily cruise at 80-90 kmph all day long and still delivered 50+/- kmpl in B'lore traffic. I felt the front tyre was due for replacement(it was 8 years old and had miniscule cracks on it). The paint was also fading slowly. Time for replacement bug was biting me.

So I decided to get myself a new bike as I didn't feel like to ride an old bike anymore. Sent off my Silver streak to be sold off in Orissa.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 17:32   #3
BHPian

having left motorcycle driving long ago (KB100) i was driving a LML Select daily even long distance on work-it was good fun, then moved up to car and for past 10 years have not driven a bike (though i just move around on my this select scooter for local shopping etc.) now this passion for biking has risen after driving one of my cousin's Pulsar 220; i am about to now go for a Pulsar either 150 or 220 but need your guidance to help decide, 220 has no kick lever, is it not a problem, to depend on self start always which may fail due to weak battery! I just want to drive for fun on weekends so please help me decide. For the price difference of 150 & 220 -the 220 seems worth more than the difference (tubeless tyres, both disc brakes, projector lamps, and the engine power of course).
Old 12th October 2014, 13:11   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeep-ivon View Post
having left motorcycle driving long ago (KB100) i was driving a LML Select daily even long distance on work-it was good fun, then moved up to car and for past 10 years have not driven a bike (though i just move around on my this select scooter for local shopping etc.) now this passion for biking has risen after driving one of my cousin's Pulsar 220; i am about to now go for a Pulsar either 150 or 220 but need your guidance to help decide, 220 has no kick lever, is it not a problem, to depend on self start always which may fail due to weak battery! I just want to drive for fun on weekends so please help me decide. For the price difference of 150 & 220 -the 220 seems worth more than the difference (tubeless tyres, both disc brakes, projector lamps, and the engine power of course).
Hi Pradeep,

I traded my P150 a couple of years back to get a P180 (it doesn't have a kick-lever too). Initially I was covering >1000 kms pm while was working. But last year I quit to pursue MBA and hence my running has trickled down to ~300 kms pm. As my home is in the same city, I have access to my dad's car and have been using the same during the rains the last couple of months. As a result, my bike lies idle for 20-25 days at a stretch before running for a couple of days. Yet it does start with a single self start, without any hesitation (the auto-choke must be helping here). So don't worry about starting problems even if the bike lies idle for 3 weeks.

Coming to 150 Vs. 220, I would definitely recommend the 220. Its definitely VFM and a fun bike for weekends. 150 is more of a sedate daily user with a relaxed riding posture. Just test ride extensively the 220 and the 200NS too and check if you are comfortable with the postures and the extra weight. The 220 does have a slightly lower FE (35-40 kmpl) but I guess it shouldn't be a concern since it is a weekend ride with low running.
The 180 is very similar to the 220. The only differences are the the bigger engine, rear disc and projector lamp. I find my bike to be a very comfortable long distance cruiser. You can check out my thread for more details: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ip-report.html

Regards,
Ashis
Old 15th October 2014, 15:33   #5
BHPian

thanks Ashis for your helpful reply! i am about to take delivery of pulsar (90% in favor of 150) with due regard to your opinion, i feel having left motorcycling for many years and being a married man, i may not have much liberty to zoom out at 100 kph on highways just on weekends and even the current 150cc bikes are more powerful & better than the one i drove long ago (KB100) so even the 150 will do for me. after all i will need it only on weekend and as i travel out of city on business so bike may be left dry for many days hence a kick-start will help, riding posture is basic so wife can sit normally, even the gear shift lever can be used by sole of the shoe which is difficult in 220. Plus i have read many problematic reviews of 220. Although the price difference is tempting! are you sure you have no problem at all with your 220!
Old 18th October 2014, 19:53   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeep-ivon View Post
thanks Ashis for your helpful reply! i am about to take delivery of pulsar (90% in favor of 150) with due regard to your opinion, i feel having left motorcycling for many years and being a married man, i may not have much liberty to zoom out at 100 kph on highways just on weekends and even the current 150cc bikes are more powerful & better than the one i drove long ago (KB100) so even the 150 will do for me. after all i will need it only on weekend and as i travel out of city on business so bike may be left dry for many days hence a kick-start will help, riding posture is basic so wife can sit normally, even the gear shift lever can be used by sole of the shoe which is difficult in 220. Plus i have read many problematic reviews of 220. Although the price difference is tempting! are you sure you have no problem at all with your 220!
Sorry Pradeep for the late reply. Let me clarify first, I own a P180 (2012 model) which has the same riding posture as the 220 and is kick-less. The only differences between the 180 and 220 are the bigger engine (220 cc vs. 180cc) and rear disc setup (and of course the projectors). The price difference between 2 bikes were 11k, which made 220 a salivating proposal. Unluckily though, the 220 had a 1 month waiting period which made me settle for 180. I don't regret the decision and I haven't faced any issue in my 2 yr ~16k km old bike till date.

Coming to your query on 150, I guess I understand your requirement now. You need a powerful and yet sedate comfortable city bike (I had earlier assumed you needed a powerful weekend fun bike). You are correct in assuming that your better half would be more comfortable on the 150. The 150 has a flatter single long seat (vs. a forward slanting split seat on the 220). The toe-heel shifter of the 150 is better too. It would be cheaper to own and would give way better FE too.

The 220's seating posture is slightly sporty which may or may not be to your liking. But 220 will not give you any issues with basic regular maintenance. To decide between the two, I would suggest you take a longish test ride of both the bikes along with your wife.

If you are not particular about it being a bike, can I beg to confuse you further? How about a powerful scooter? How about the Vespa 125 (will remind you of your Select)? It's powerful, easily to ride in city, it looks cute and your wife can ride it too.
Old 18th October 2014, 21:35   #7
BHPian

thank you Ashis for taking out time to helpfully advise me. Tell you what, I have taken delivery of my P150 2 days ago and enjoying the ride- though the engine needs some time to break in (may be 1000 kms!) before it can really show speed. I am posting some picture for the benefit of dear members.
Old 18th October 2014, 22:31   #8
BHPian

here are pics of my fresh P-150 taken out for ride in New Delhi area today. Long term ownership report of Pulsar 150 DTSi-pulsar2.jpg

Long term ownership report of Pulsar 150 DTSi-pulsar1.jpg
pradeep-ivon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 00:48   #9
BHPian

Glad to see here an old Pulsar 150 club!
I have a Pulsar 150 that would be completing 10 years coming September 2015. I am absolutely happy with the performance even now while it is busy giving an economy of 60+ kmpl at this age. It has crossed beyond 1,50,000 kms.

Just a query, is there anything with regards to synthetic oil that anyone has tried here? And what were the experiences, any precautionary note, etc.?
Old 24th July 2015, 14:57   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyawaghmare View Post
Glad to see here an old Pulsar 150 club!
I have a Pulsar 150 that would be completing 10 years coming September 2015. I am absolutely happy with the performance even now while it is busy giving an economy of 60+ kmpl at this age. It has crossed beyond 1,50,000 kms.

Just a query, is there anything with regards to synthetic oil that anyone has tried here? And what were the experiences, any precautionary note, etc.?
Since your bike has been running fine for past 10 yrs on a staple diet of mineral oil, why change it now? I have been using mineral oils in the 3 bikes I have owned in the past and the engine was in the nick of health when I passed it on. Stick to the recommended grade and change the oil every 2k kms. This will ensure that your engine receives fresh oil frequently and it won't pinch your pocket too. For more information, you could have a look at the below threads:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-4t-oil-9.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...neral-oil.html

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Wishing you many more happy miles on your Pulsar.

Last edited by ashis89 : 24th July 2015 at 14:58. Reason: Added another link for reference
Old 14th August 2015, 20:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

Wishing you many more happy miles on your Pulsar.
Sorry for the delay in response. Thank you a lot for the views and the links shared, that should definitely help me.

I have switched to Shell synthetic from the past 5 to 6 years and did experience a significant smoothness. My query was more around alternative synthetic oils that may be cheaper or VFM.

in any case, my bike does really struggle to go beyond speed of 65 kmph. Although not a worry, I've reduced the use on highways or for pruposes of long drives. A major overhaul is near, likely at the point when it completes a good 10 years!
Old 2nd February 2021, 10:29   #12
BHPian

Hello guys,
I have a Pulsar 150 - 2009 Model. I currently have tyres with tube.
Can I replace with a tubeless tyre of the same profile/size to this model ?
I asked a local workshop guy, and he told it might leak. So, I wanted to get some expert advice here.
Old 2nd February 2021, 14:07   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicCharcoal View Post
Hello guys,
I have a Pulsar 150 - 2009 Model. I currently have tyres with tube.
Can I replace with a tubeless tyre of the same profile/size to this model ?
I asked a local workshop guy, and he told it might leak. So, I wanted to get some expert advice here.
Hi ComicCharcoal, yes you can replace it with tubeless tyre. You need to use a screw type tubeless tyre valve.

https://www.amazon.in/MOTOR-CYCLE-TU...%2C341&sr=8-21

Then you can install any tubeless tyre. Ensure that the valve hole on the rim is scrubbed and cleaned before fitting these valves.

A suggestion, stick to 80 section tyre when you replace. Do not upsize to 90 section. P150 has a smaller rim width hence a 90 section tyre will bulge out
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 20:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Hi ComicCharcoal, yes you can replace it with tubeless tyre. You need to use a screw type tubeless tyre valve.

A suggestion, stick to 80 section tyre when you replace. Do not upsize to 90 section. P150 has a smaller rim width hence a 90 section tyre will bulge out
Hello Mr Sagarpadaki,
Thanks for your reply.
Currently my tube-tyre size is 100/90-R17 (rear tyre). Are u suggesting to change it to 100/80-R17 with the tubeless tyre?
Old 3rd February 2021, 08:54   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicCharcoal View Post
Hello Mr Sagarpadaki,
Thanks for your reply.
Currently my tube-tyre size is 100/90-R17 (rear tyre). Are u suggesting to change it to 100/80-R17 with the tubeless tyre?
My bad. I should have specified which tyre. I was referring to front. For the rear the tyre size is correct - 100/90-R17

For front I would suggest 80/100-R17 or 80/90-R17

Do not bother upsizing . I have tried 110/80, 110/70, 120/80 on my pulsar 180 which has same rim width as p150 and concluded that the stock size is perfect.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 3rd February 2021 at 09:02.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks