Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2006, 12:24   #1
BHPian

Cheated by Royal Enfield Factory outlet

I have written this to make fellow TEAM-BHP-ians know how RoyalEnfield(RE)'s factory outlet cheated me.

When i went to purchase my thunderbird (TB), I asked the sales man in the factory outlet (Besant Nagar - Chennai) whether there would be a self start version in 6 months time so that i could wait for it as i had my Rx135 as standby. He promptly replied that it won't happen for another year, also added on that they are the people who will know it first as it was the factory outlet and also told there would be a kit released by RE of it happens which would cost around 6-8K. He also told me that even nothing is in design phase too. I co-related this with the disc brake kit which RE released when they went for an upgrade and consoled myself that if RE releases a self start they will release a kit too and happily got by TB delivered by paying table cash.

Just in a period of 3 months my heart broke when i saw advertisement of new TB's with self start. I was so pissed off bcz being cheated deliberately by a RE factory outlet. If it was a dealer who has done this i would not have felt this bad.

I just went to the same guy and asked what will be the cost to get self start fitted. He replied that no kit's will be released and the inclusion of self start would take 25K+ and explained that there is a big change of internals and so on. How will they release a internally re-designed bike within 3 month's time (design,prototype,testing, manufacturing... etc....). I know there is no use in arguing for all these anymore.

When ever i kicked my bike i alway's felt cheated and at last kept it aside for few months. Wanted to write this when i used it after long time yesterday..... Sorry to say that i have lost faith in RE .

Regards
Sethuram.
Old 20th April 2006, 17:26   #2
BANNED

hi ,

Since you are in chennai ,you might as well ,get intouch with the Enfield factory at tondiarpet . Get in touch with the works manager or some manager to help you out . I think things might work out ,and you might be able to get a self starter fitted ,barring the extra cost .
Old 20th April 2006, 17:54   #3

I think my friend,
U should ask somebody in the press or something to publish this experience in a news paper and then watch how this outlets Manager would be there at your service.
Old 21st April 2006, 04:41   #4
BHPian

Hey! Sethuram, I feel sorry for you buddy, seems like having a self starter really meant something to you. After kick starting a bullet, anyone would wish for a self start.

But then, this is not something that can be helped man, there is a reason why companies don't leak out launch dates until the last minute like a few days before the lauch. It would affect current sales figures. If the RE guy would have told you that it would be better to wait, he would have to be willing to miss his current sales targets.

There ain't nothing much you can do or anyone can do except tell other people not to buy from that dealer. They can always say that they had absolutly no idea at the time and there is nothing that you can do to prove that they did know about it. Face it! its as common as the world spinning.

You can surely try what great mana said. Talk to them and find out if there is anything that they can do. I remember when i booked for the CBF150 i enquired about the self start and they told me that there are no plans to offer this model with a self start. It didn't bother me much. But one month later when i went to take delivery. The same lady who took my order with a sly smile asked me if i would like the self start installed for an additional 3k and i said yes and got it. But to tell you the truth I did know the manager at that showroom and that might have helped a bit.

Never regret anything you do bro. Thats the only way you can not let this bother you.
Old 21st April 2006, 06:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Masybe this will ease you a bit.

I was cheated the same way for a 10 lac car.

I asked the dealer when the lancer 1.8 invecs is expected. He said its not expected within the next 1 years. I said k. We went ahead and purchased it.

3 months down the line the invecs was released. Now whenever I hear of the invecs A part of my heart cries.

Btw there is some mistake with the prices of the self starter kit. I had enquired for a self starter kit some 2-3 years before(when lml adreno fx came out) for my lml adreno v1. The price then was 10k. So I dont think you should have to pay more.
Old 21st April 2006, 18:12   #6
BHPian

@greatmana2000 - I got in touch with the guy who is the head of servicing at the service centre(factory outlet). As far as i got inputs from him, the internal's in old model thunderbird is not capable of holding a self starter directly. If i need to go for a starter it is only after changing many internal's, entire left side casing and many more which is why the cost has shooted up to 25K+.

@storm162 - Good idea, but we do not have any proof that they cheated me.

@TheCockroach - A self starter was not an issue when i owned my first bullet way back in 2000.
Moreover some traffic signal's in city are having 150+ seconds. It is better to switch off the bike and restart it. I am unable to do so now because i am really concerned about starting it back. Also i find every commuter bike with self start switching off and on in the signals which adds to the fustration.

@devarshi84 - What happened to you is really sad. I can understand how you would be feeling when you see invecs !
I had thought that car dealers were responsible when compared to bike dealers. I remember 2 instances where the dealers had acted responsibly. One was when we went to buy a santro for my friend, though ready stock was available the guy he told to wait us for 2 months as Xing version would be released. Another instance is in a maruti showroom where the guy told me to wait 2 weeks as there is a face lifted alto on the way.

The words of care from the seller actually helps us gain confidence in them and in turn fetch them good business. After all these i know devarshi84 will never refer the same dealer anymore, also i will not refer this crap factory outlet guy's anymore.

I would not have taken this to my heart if i had not asked about self starter when purchasing it. I know they deliberately cheated me which makes me not to go to them again.

Paying 25K+ for a self starter is not in my books.... So better not think about it again.

One thing i understood was that all outlets are only concerned about numbers, not bothering how they get it.
Old 21st April 2006, 18:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram
@greatmana2000 - I got in touch with the guy who is the head of servicing at the service centre(factory outlet). As far as i got inputs from him, the internal's in old model thunderbird is not capable of holding a self starter directly. If i need to go for a starter it is only after changing many internal's, entire left side casing and many more which is why the cost has shooted up to 25K+.

@storm162 - Good idea, but we do not have any proof that they cheated me.

@TheCockroach - A self starter was not an issue when i owned my first bullet way back in 2000.
Moreover some traffic signal's in city are having 150+ seconds. It is better to switch off the bike and restart it. I am unable to do so now because i am really concerned about starting it back. Also i find every commuter bike with self start switching off and on in the signals which adds to the fustration.

@devarshi84 - What happened to you is really sad. I can understand how you would be feeling when you see invecs !
I had thought that car dealers were responsible when compared to bike dealers. I remember 2 instances where the dealers had acted responsibly. One was when we went to buy a santro for my friend, though ready stock was available the guy he told to wait us for 2 months as Xing version would be released. Another instance is in a maruti showroom where the guy told me to wait 2 weeks as there is a face lifted alto on the way.

The words of care from the seller actually helps us gain confidence in them and in turn fetch them good business. After all these i know devarshi84 will never refer the same dealer anymore, also i will not refer this crap factory outlet guy's anymore.

I would not have taken this to my heart if i had not asked about self starter when purchasing it. I know they deliberately cheated me which makes me not to go to them again.

Paying 25K+ for a self starter is not in my books.... So better not think about it again.

One thing i understood was that all outlets are only concerned about numbers, not bothering how they get it.

as a matter of fact I really respect the dealer and would certainly recommend him. He told me that the company didnt give out news though every1 was sepculating. In exchange we had received lots of goodies(no discount though) like leather, cd changer, Pard distance control, White lights, free services and all. The dealer also never charged us for small stuff like a touching up a paint.

he did all he can to make up for his mistake. What I liked was that he accepted his mistakes and tried to do all he can to make it up.

the wound has healed but the scar remains for which I dont care much.

check out for a local system. It will be cheaper than the company price.
Old 21st April 2006, 18:28   #8
BANNED

hi seturam ,

I guess you have spoken to the service centre manager and not the guys who are with the factory .

Anyways ,you could still get the self starter done at a cheaper price . get in touch with JAF on pudupet high road . he might be able to help you out on the issue . the name of the mechanic is jaffer .Most of the mechanics on pudupet will do the fix for a few thousand rupees .
Old 21st April 2006, 18:44   #9
BHPian

@devarshi84 - I really like your dealer who has handled this very neatly. I will check for after market starters if any.

@greatmana2000 - This weekend i will check this out at Pudupet.
Old 22nd April 2006, 13:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you confirm this with the dealer. Try to find a way to see that he speaks whether he cheated or was it a mistake or it was really a quick company decision.

Its sometimes bad to jump to conclusions. Not that I doubt your statement but still to have facts is better.
Old 1st October 2012, 19:58   #11
BHPian

Re: Cheated by Royal Enfield Factory outlet

I went to jaffar at pudupet for some engine head work. I was very unhappy to see their attitude. They sounded pretty rude. I visited their workshop two days after giving them the engine. To my amazement, they hadn't even opened a single bolt of the engine.

They made a commitment that they would be returning the engine in two days, so i gave them a call two days after.The gentleman tells me that how can we do the work in two days *rudely*!

I am sure this would be the first and the last time i would be visiting this workshop. They simply give more preference to those whose work earns more.
Old 1st October 2012, 20:20   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H
I went to jaffar at pudupet for some engine head work. I was very unhappy to see their attitude. They sounded pretty rude. I visited their workshop two days after giving them the engine. To my amazement, they hadn't even opened a single bolt of the engine.

They made a commitment that they would be returning the engine in two days, so i gave them a call two days after.The gentleman tells me that how can we do the work in two days *rudely*!

I am sure this would be the first and the last time i would be visiting this workshop. They simply give more preference to those whose work earns more.
Shocked to hear this. In the 1980's Jaffar was legendary in fixing and modifying bikes especially Rajdoot Yamaha 350's. and he used to work out a joint off Spurtank Road or Casa Major road in those days. He was synonymous with first class motorbike work! I assume you are referring to the same Jaffar!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks