Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2012, 21:55   #1
BHPian

Strange starter problem with my Pulsar 220

Hello friends,
I am facing this problem with the starter of my Pulsar 220 S. When I push the starter button, the starter cranks the engine, the bike starts, but the starter wont stop cranking the engine at all. And that even after I pull out the keys from the ignition. When I turn off the key, the engine stops running but the starter keeps cranking the engine. This has happened twice in last 45 days. On both the occasions, I had to quickly remove side panel, rear seat, get to the tool kit and disconnect the battery. After waiting for sometime, I reconnected the battery, and the problem was gone. I am worried that this may lead to draining of the battery or worse, burning of the motor or some short circuit; since disconnecting the battery takes some time.
I asked the Bajaj guy about this issue and he says that he needs to check the electronic control unit located within the headlight fairing. I dont think that would be the problem. I had heard of a similar problem in the P220 when it was launched but that was the FI version, and it had been sorted out later. Does anyone know the details of it? Can I get the wiring diagram for the P220? I think it may be some relay getting stuck, or some wiring issue. But how do I pin-point it now since the bike is fine?
This is the first technical problem I got in the bike since I bought it 2 years ago. Otherwise it has given me a flawless run.
Old 6th October 2012, 22:22   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Strange starter problem with my P220.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
Hello friends,
I am facing this problem with the starter of my Pulsar 220 S. When I push the starter button, the starter cranks the engine, the bike starts, but the starter wont stop cranking the engine at all. And that even after I pull out the keys from the ignition. When I turn off the key, the engine stops running but the starter keeps cranking the engine. This has happened twice in last 45 days. On both the occasions, I had to quickly remove side panel, rear seat, get to the tool kit and disconnect the battery. After waiting for sometime, I reconnected the battery, and the problem was gone. I am worried that this may lead to draining of the battery or worse, burning of the motor or some short circuit; since disconnecting the battery takes some time.
I asked the Bajaj guy about this issue and he says that he needs to check the electronic control unit located within the headlight fairing. I dont think that would be the problem. I had heard of a similar problem in the P220 when it was launched but that was the FI version, and it had been sorted out later. Does anyone know the details of it? Can I get the wiring diagram for the P220? I think it may be some relay getting stuck, or some wiring issue. But how do I pin-point it now since the bike is fine?
This is the first technical problem I got in the bike since I bought it 2 years ago. Otherwise it has given me a flawless run.

Its a case of sticky relay.Check if they relay near the battery is square or dome shaped.Square shaped ones had this problem.Change to the latest design relay and your problem will be solved
sagarpadaki is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 20:59   #3
BHPian

Re: Strange starter problem with my P220.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Its a case of sticky relay.Check if they relay near the battery is square or dome shaped.Square shaped ones had this problem.Change to the latest design relay and your problem will be solved
^^ +1

I had the same issue and got the relay replaced 3 years back on my Pulsar 220 Fi. The square relay had issues on many bikes.

Whatever the relay type is on your bike now. Get it replaced from the probiking !!!
Old 9th October 2012, 16:35   #4
BHPian

Re: Strange starter problem with my Pulsar 220

Yep this is a starter relay problem. As a temp solution till i found time to replace it i used to smack the starter relay on the head and it would stop acting up. Got mine changed about a year ago and no problem since.
Old 22nd November 2012, 00:27   #5
BHPian

Thanks to this thread, I was able to solve the same problem I had in my P-180.

The new relay:
Strange starter problem with my Pulsar 220-23102012518.jpg

The new one and the old one:
Strange starter problem with my Pulsar 220-23102012519.jpg

The location:
Connector removed, old relay removed.
Strange starter problem with my Pulsar 220-24102012521.jpg

New relay in, connector attached; good to go.
Strange starter problem with my Pulsar 220-24102012522.jpg
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
Hello friends,
I am facing this problem with the starter of my Pulsar 220 S. ........Otherwise it has given me a flawless run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Yes that is the problem of the starter relay as sagarpadaki suggested.
I had this problem three and half years ago when Pulsar 220 Dtsi was launched then.
This problem was present in the first lot of bikes( Mine was 100th in Hyderabad city) and Bajaj has called us and offered to replace it for free.
They replaced it with dome shaped relay if i remember.

I think you are lucky enough to run on the original problematic relay for last two years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks