Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2012, 21:22   #1
BHPian

Sparko Hi-Tech Petrol Saver

I filled petrol in my 2001 TVS Suzuki Samurai at the Shell petrol outlet, and was shown this "Sparko Hi-Tech Petrol Saver" by some guys near the exit. I was sceptical and fully believe that the 35% petrol savings advertised on the box is bunkum. But the other claims like quick starts even when cold and more speed at lower RPMs was interesting, so I decided to try it. The MRP on the box was Rs. 360/-, but they were selling it at Rs. 250/-. So the guy quickly fitted it on my bike by removing my spark plug cap and fitting this contraption. Bike started fine and revved fine, and I carried on.
Experienced a couple of mild sputters on the day I fitted it. But noticed something different the next day. The bike started in 2 kicks when cold, and I was actually revving a little lower to achieve normal speeds. Earlier, the bike was starting in 6-7 kicks when cold, and that was not acceptable for this bike. Was planning to take it to my mech to get the excess kickstarting fixed, but this contraption seems to have fixed that.
Please note, I am not advertising this product. I just want to know if anyone else tried it, and what was their experience. I am no automobile expert, but I have been riding this bike for 11 years, and know it well. I hope this improvement lasts. However, I can't really check the fuel savings claim, as my fuel gauge is faulty, and it is tough to get the original fuel gauge components that are fitted to the tank. My mech advised me not to do anything about the fuel gauge. Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Sparko Hi-Tech Petrol Saver-dsc03983.jpg  

Sparko Hi-Tech Petrol Saver-dsc03984.jpg  

Sparko Hi-Tech Petrol Saver-dsc03985.jpg  

Sidman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 00:53   #2
BHPian

Re: Sparko Hi-Tech Petrol Saver

Thanks sidman for sharing.
It's great to see such products do work wonders to some extent.

Hope you are enjoying your samurai more with each mile,
considering :

(a) Increase in performance to some extent.
(b) Your leg will be less stressed.

Wishing you many miles and smiles with your ride.
Old 15th October 2012, 03:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm glad to hear your happy but it is physically impossible for any change to a part that is not in the mechanical drive train between the engine and the rear tire to make "... more speed at lower RPMs" as the advertizing claims.

Changing gears, sprockets or even tires can effect the ratios between the engine and the ground but things that go elsewhere cannot.

Usually things like this lessen fuel economy and cause more problems than they claim to fix so IMO you are fortunate in installing something that seems to have helped.
I hope it continues to help but remember, if your engine suddenly starts mis-firing, this is the first thing to remove.

As for fuel economy calculations you really don't need a fuel gauge.

When filling my fuel tank, I use a black fine tip marker to write the mileage (or kilometers) indicated on the odometer on the handle bar.
The next time I refill the tank I again write down the mileage (or kilometers) shown on the odometer.
I then record both the distance and the amount of fuel it took to fill the tank on a piece of paper and remove the old distance value.
This gives me the information I need to caluclate my fuel economy value.
ArizonaJim is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 05:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Gadgets like this existed since long. They used to appear and vanish too soon only to make a reappearance again in another avatar.The fitment is exactly as in this case. This unit is a sort of condenser and is available for four wheelers too.
But how revving less for usual speed is one point which is not quite clear technically.
In your case, the spark plug cap cum socket connection to the HT cable appears to have been the culprit.
Keep the performance and behavior updated.

Last edited by rajeev k : 15th October 2012 at 05:22. Reason: correction
Old 15th October 2012, 08:13   #5
BANNED

Here is the product - http://www.gimmagency.net.in/products.htm

for Rs. 150.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 08:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

@Sidman,

Good to know that you are satisfied with the product you bought. So was the petrol saving in the reduced no of manual kicks, you can still check the fuel saved by the usual tank full method basis (odo readings) even though your fuel guage isnt working. Pls do let us know if you have been able to save considerable fuel with the product.
Old 15th October 2012, 12:08   #7
BHPian

Thanks for your responses! Bike is still running fine. I think I caused some confusion here. It's not "more speed at lower RPMs", but more like "normal speeds achieved at slightly lower acceleration". Does that make sense? Will keep you updated on the performance and will try to calculate the fuel efficiency.
Old 15th October 2012, 14:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
However, I can't really check the fuel savings claim, as my fuel gauge is faulty, and it is tough to get the original fuel gauge components that are fitted to the tank. :
Do the reserve to reserve method to calculate the exact fuel efficiency.

I believe your odometer is working just fine?

1. Note the odometer reading when the reserve fuel is reached.

2. Fill in exactly 1 litre of petrol.(Whenever time permits. No urgency.)

3. Note the odometer reading when the reserve fuel is reached again.

Exactly one litre of fuel will be used in between the two readings.
Old 15th October 2012, 19:45   #9
BHPian

Humbug. Feel good feature- i once got a taiwanese contraption to put in the windshield wiper fluid tank - to increase my average. Balls.
)Not a bad word, but it looked like that- if you believe me)
Old 15th October 2012, 23:14   #10
BHPian

I have seen this kind of product being sold around 10 years ago. If such a simple thing was actually useful then bike manufacturers would have fitted it themselves.
Old 16th October 2012, 01:08   #11
BHPian

Sadly and frankly I would like to say that you have been conned. It is not even worth a single paise that contraption. Some years back even I was fooled but then I got the bargain for 35 Rs the same thing which seems fit in your bike. I thought the guy is giving me a discount and 35 rs is not much so I got fooled.
I used it for many years till my mechanic threw it out during the service .
With my experience I can sincerely say that the contraption didnot add any value to the bike, no reduced fuel consumption, no good in cold starting, no less vibration nothing.
Infact the additional wire length might reduce the intensity of spark to a very less extent due to more resistance in the contraption because of added length of the contraption.
Please dont fall in such traps again. Any automotive R&D would be the first one to bench mark this device and if it really adds any value the device would have been already seen in Bajaj LOL, who would not leave any stone unturned to get to the maximum out of that last drop of fuel.
Old 16th October 2012, 06:57   #12
BHPian

This is a special built-in capacitor. This design allows energy from the ignition coil to accumulate in the capacitor until the voltage at the spark plug electrodes reaches the ionization point. At that split second point the entire power of the stored spark is discharged at once, creating a spark more powerful. The result is faster, more complete combustion.
Old 16th October 2012, 09:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 16th October 2012 at 12:54.
Old 16th October 2012, 10:48   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Humbug. Feel good feature- i once got a taiwanese contraption to put in the windshield wiper fluid tank - to increase my average. Balls.
)Not a bad word, but it looked like that- if you believe me)
Er, not to sidetrack the OP's discussions, but......say what?????
Old 16th October 2012, 13:44   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
2. Fill in exactly 1 litre of petrol.(Whenever time permits. No urgency.)
Your method is the right way to check the fuel efficiency. But, why 1 litre? Just reserve to reserve should be fine with any quantity of fuel.

For ex: If you feel 500 rs of Petrol. Say approx 6.5 litres and the bike runs 300 km from reserve to reserve, the economy is approx 46 km /l.

Logically if you fill exactly 1 liter the bike should be back to reserve after 46 km. So, I guess there is no compulsion of 1 litre per say to check the fuel efficiency.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks