Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2012, 11:28   #1
BHPian

Fuel leak from the carburettor (Royal Enfield CI)

All,
Today morning, I notice this fuel leakage from the carburator of my enfiled ( 1999 model, 350 CI, 20kms done). Have been browsing teambhp since then.
I see certain other threads which point to 'float' or a 'needle' problem in the carburator. I thought I will post the pics and consult anyways.
Photographs are taken after I cleaned the fuel on the bottom of the carb.

To elaborate, Yesterday evening I rode all the way to Ranigunj from Mehdipatnam to meet Sudhakar Anna. (Wanted some basic service done since the bike is my new acquisition.) Unfortunately his shop was closed. ( But atleast located his shop). I came back home and forgot to close the fuel tap.
Today I see this leakage :(. The leakage stops when I close the fueltap properly. But it starts immediately, once I open it.

Here is pic1. The fuel drips exactly from where the arrow points. (accumulates and drips since that is the bottom most point)
Fuel leak from the carburettor (Royal Enfield CI)-cab3.jpg

The area circled seem to have the fuel accumulated. The source of the leak is not on the lateral surface of the carb. But somewhere in that circled portion.
Fuel leak from the carburettor (Royal Enfield CI)-carb4.jpg

Please help, if you have come across such a issue.
-Vivek
Old 15th November 2012, 11:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Fuel leak from the carburettor (Royal Enfield CI)

Its classic overflow case.

Check - Float level - Best to take to competent mechanic.
Check - Float Pin - If its worn out or getting stuck - Again a competent mechanic is the best bet, if you are not a DIY guy.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 13:59   #3
BHPian

re: Fuel leak from the carburettor (Royal Enfield CI)

Thanks Jaggu. I'm not YET a DIY guy. I am taking it to an expert mech. But could I ride the bike for 10 kms in its present condition?
I was supposed to visit the mechanic today but since I saw this leakage, postponed it by a day so that I can do so research.
Old 15th November 2012, 14:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fuel leak from the carburettor (Royal Enfield CI)

Take to a mechanic and get it sorted.
Old 15th November 2012, 17:39   #5

Float trouble. Usually a simple cleanning & adjust is enough. If you are worried about riding to the mech, switch off the fuel tap once the overflow starts. Ride the bike and once it starts missing open the fuel tap again. Close the tap before it overflows again. Painful but can be done.
Old 15th November 2012, 19:47   #6
BHPian

Simple job. Just take it to a mechanic and he will fix it. Nothing so major to worry.
Old 15th November 2012, 21:02   #7
BHPian

To take it to the mechanic wrap a brick in a towel and hit the Carb from below. This will dislodge the obstruction and close the float. I learned this the hard way!

Most probably your float is eroded and is flooded with petrol.you will need a new one.
Old 25th November 2012, 00:17   #8
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your kind reply's. The leak stopped on its own next day .
I finally managed to take it to him today( I was sick last w/e) who said that, sometimes due to dirt accumulation in the carb, fuel leakage happens. If the leakage has stopped, well and good. Will get in checked as a part of full service.
Old 24th October 2016, 11:36   #9
BHPian

Folks, will the bike(Bullet CI) start if the carburettor is flooded? I am trying to start the bike but no success. Tried for 20 min & gave up with a sore right sole.
Old 24th October 2016, 11:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Folks, will the bike(Bullet CI) start if the carburettor is flooded? I am trying to start the bike but no success. Tried for 20 min & gave up with a sore right sole.
If the carb is overflowing, either tap lightly on the side of the carb and wait for sometime and then try to start it (desi method as we call it, and it worked many times for me), or else get a mechanics help who will adjust the float.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks