Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fitness Test for 15 year old Bikes : Need Advice

Related Thread: Fitness Test for 15 year old Cars

Dear All,

My Hero Honda Splendor is completing 15 years of succesful journey and need to be presented for retesting with RTO. It was bought and used by dad for local commutes but I was lucky enough to have a major share of ODO during my School-College days.

With approx 60K KMs on ODO, total hassle free 15 years, only regular lube, battery, tyre changes so far. Once I had a safe fall (touch wood) leaving the bike with a broken wisor and bent shock and I introduced a round doom light along with a bar handle which is the only non-factory fitment in the bike.

Below are the tasks I could list down
  1. Red splendor is known for fading over a period and obviously the 15 year mark left some faded patches on the bike. Bike needs to be repainted to perfection.
  2. Head doom light has no life left, its dull and need change
  3. Custom made handles are also rusted and need change
  4. Wheel rims are rusted and 15yr old. Needs replacement?
  5. Clutch phasing needs change, kicker often slips.
  6. Decarbonizing and new sparks?
  7. Engine needs any treatment for this age? No issues as such.
Some advises around the above points would be helpful.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd January 2013 at 17:21. Reason: Adding link to related thread. Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:58   #2
BHPian

re: Fitness Test for 15 year old Bikes : Need Advice

I didn't really know you had to re-test 15 year old vehicles. Do you know what they check during these tests? They should check for road-worthiness but not sure how they do so.

Anyway, this being India, I don't think you have to worry about getting all these fixed. Because, fix or no fix, you'll still end up paying tea-water to a public servant. If the bike still runs without polluting the air, I'd suggest you leave it as it is. Unless you want to restore it to its old glory.

Now, what in the world is a "doom light" ?
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:03   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Headlight I believe!
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't really know you had to re-test 15 year old vehicles. Do you know what they check during these tests? They should check for road-worthiness but not sure how they do so.

Anyway, this being India, I don't think you have to worry about getting all these fixed. Because, fix or no fix, you'll still end up paying tea-water to a public servant. If the bike still runs without polluting the air, I'd suggest you leave it as it is. Unless you want to restore it to its old glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
Headlight I believe!
Yes guys. Headlights similiar to the ones people have in Yamaha RX.

AFAIK, testing is to validate the fitness of the vehicle for next 5 years. So after first 15 years (or Life Tax ends), vehicle needs re-testing every 5 years. A high-level expectation is as below but god knows who is checking all this other than collecting fees.
  • Reasonably good cosmetic condition (no rusts and dents, visible number plates etc)
  • Good condition Tyres
  • All electricals working fine (headlamps, indicators, meters, brakelights)
  • All documents made current including Insurance, emission certificate etc
jacs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@HellMet: I think Jacs is reffering to a headlight like this:
Fitness Test for 15 year old Bikes : Need Advice-1340981367_406701628_2picturesofherohondasplendorupforsalemodified.jpg
(Pic Courtsey: Google). This, short black handle bar and chopped off rear grab handle with thick foam padding are fairly common mods done on Splendor in Kerala.

Jacs: If you plan to keep the bike for long time, open up the engine and see how healthy the internals are.

If you feel that the engine is in good condition, get a decarb done. If the kicker is slipping, check the clutch plates, the inner and outer bell \ Clutch Housing and clutch cables.

Other than this, check all cables, brake pads, spark plug,clean the carb and may be you can revert the headlight to original.

About the rims, I think better go for brand new ones than trying to restore the rusted ones to former glory.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
@HellMet: I think Jacs is reffering to a headlight like this:
Attachment 1034033
(Pic Courtsey: Google). This, short black handle bar and chopped off rear grab handle with thick foam padding are fairly common mods done on Splendor in Kerala.

Jacs: If you plan to keep the bike for long time, open up the engine and see how healthy the internals are.

If you feel that the engine is in good condition, get a decarb done. If the kicker is slipping, check the clutch plates, the inner and outer bell \ Clutch Housing and clutch cables.

Other than this, check all cables, brake pads, spark plug,clean the carb and may be you can revert the headlight to original.

About the rims, I think better go for brand new ones than trying to restore the rusted ones to former glory.

--Anoop
Thanks Anoop. Useful tips. Stock headlamps are not to my liking due to the limited road visibility, else should try some higher watt halogens with relay. What say?

Also would you recommend opening the engine proactively since painting job needs dismantling of the bike to skeleton.
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:29   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fitness Test for 15 year old Bikes : Need Advice

From what I've seen of 4-wheeler fitness tests, the officer will be most concerned with:

- Overall look of the vehicle (excessive rust, poor paint, body damage are bad news).

- Tyre condition.

- PUC. Make sure to get a PUC done right before your visit.

With the way you speak of your bike, I think it's going to clear the test with flying colours. And if all other engine parameters are fine and you've gotten the oil changes on time, I don't see why there is a need to open the engine up.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. We could learn from your experience.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Also would you recommend opening the engine proactively since painting job needs dismantling of the bike to skeleton.
I agree that the light throw of stock headlight is poor. I think a good sealed beam unit can improve the throw - for bullets, we used to use Ambassador’s sealed beam. Try if you can do that inside your round headlight doom\cowl. I have never loaded up the headlight with relay to make it brighter but I have heard that the heat from high wattage bulbs melts the reflector if used for long time – do keep this in mind if you plan to upgrade the headlight to a higher wattage bulb.

I would suggest you open up the engine and get a decarb done - I recently had to shell out a considerable amount on engine rebuild, which would have been averted if I had decarbonized my engine periodically. There were lots of carbon build up on the head of my engine (Honda Unicorn - Run 74K+) which resulted in the exhaust valve not closing completely which eventually lead to lose of compression. According to the mechanic who worked on my bike, if I had done a decarb at 50K, the engine would have been still going on without the rework. I have always changed the engine oil at 3K or less and I always use Shell oil.

After seeing the amount of carbon deposited on the head, I firmly believe that a proper decarbonizing by opening up the engine is very good for the health of the engine when you cross 50~60K. Do not forget to check and replace the cables if necessary.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 3rd January 2013 at 18:10.
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 19:32   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post

Dear All,

My Hero Honda Splendor is completing 15 years of successful journey and need to be presented for retesting with RTO. It was bought and used by dad for local commutes but I was lucky enough to have a major share of ODO during my School-College days.
  1. Red splendor is known for fading over a period and obviously the 15 year mark left some faded patches on the bike. Bike needs to be repainted to perfection.
  2. Head doom light has no life left, its dull and need change
  3. Custom made handles are also rusted and need change
  4. Wheel rims are rusted and 15yr old. Needs replacement?
  5. Clutch phasing needs change, kicker often slips.
  6. Decarbonizing and new sparks?
  7. Engine needs any treatment for this age? No issues as such.
Some advises around the above points would be helpful.

I own two two wheelers and two four wheelers, (the oldest one is from 1955 and the youngest 1990) that have to be taken for the 5 year fitness tests.
While getting these done I have never ever found my machine on test faltering or failing any test. These are got done at the RTO,Nagpur, however.
The points you need to take note of are as hereunder:-

(1) Most Important of all:- They check the engine and chassis numbers physically with those on the motor vehicle to look for any unreported changes. A lead pencil impression of the two numbers on paper needs to be appended with the application form, in Maharashtra.

(2) They may tell you to start the engine and they usually look out for the fumes whether too obnoxious ?? It is mandatory to enclose a valid Pollution Under Control Certificate.

(3) A valid insurance (third party too will do) receipt needs to be enclosed in original with a xerox copy. The original is returned after due verification.

(4) If there is any colour mentioned in the R.C. book, be careful before you change the paint. The M.V. Act says we need to take permission from the RTO office to change the colour! But if the colour is not mentioned you need not worry.

(5) Please keep the headlight/s/ tail light/s, brake lights and indicators in perfect working condition.

(6) Please also check for play in the front and rear brakes. They usually check for worn out brake pads.

(7) The number plate should be neatly painted in the designated manner.

Other than these points try and make the bike look as presentable as possible. Privately used motor vehicles are usually passed, with exceptions of a few not faring well.
The commercial vehicles are subject to some gruelling tests for fitness.Though its a pity that despite all these tests, the commercial vehicles many a times, let us down! They insist or reflective tapes at crucial portions of the commercial vehicle's too (truck and buses).

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd January 2013 at 19:48.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 20:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have over 25 Vehicles (2 & 4 Wheelers) which go for a fitness test every 5 years and it is a very smooth process. You pay a green tax which varies from every state i guess.
You need to mainly check on :
- PUC
- Overall looks of the vehicle (No rust, No broken parts , good tyres etc.)

But overall , its a easy procedure to get fitness done for a 15 year old vehicle.
hillram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 22:02   #11
BHPian

Doing a complete decarbonizing of an old engine after 15yrs is not a good way of maintenance, as while you do so it creates decompression due to loss of carbon deposits inbetween the piston rings and the cylinder lining. I would suggest you to do this process only if you find a loss in compression due to worn piston rings at the present state. A good head overhaul which involves changing the valve seats and polishing the valves would be the right thing to do. I'm not a motor bile person so I don't know if the hero Honda splendor came with an over head cam operated valves, well if it does, then checking the tolerance of the cam lobes and replacing it if required is also a good way to restore smooth engine performance. cheers.
Old 23rd February 2013, 15:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Bike reached back home after a make over last week. Shall come with the details of the work carried out shortly. Its sounding as good as when it was bought. Really happy with the work, here's some snaps

Fitness Test for 15 year old Bikes : Need Advice-img00438201302221744.jpg

Fitness Test for 15 year old Bikes : Need Advice-img00437201302221743.jpg

Fitness Test for 15 year old Bikes : Need Advice-img00439201302221744.jpg
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 17:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

The following are checked during the FC in Bangalore
1. Physical availability of the vehicle in front of the Inspector
2. Verification of chassis number and Engine number (Normally done by some subordinates/ agents available with him)
3. Verification of documents: RC in original, Insurance and PUC
4. Check the vehicle for Right side mirror (Mandatory requirement), Indicators, Legible number plates.
5. Start the vehicle and show the functions of Headlight, indicators and brake light.

The RC is held back for renewal stamping and a slip is issued instructing you to collect at a later date against the surrender of the slip.

Touts collect 1000INR upwards for the above process and rises sharply if the vehicle is not physically available in front of the inspector (Back door entry). But if you decide to get it done yourself, then be prepared to walk around a few counters for the process which is not as terrible as some may describe. Things have changed for better in Bangalore these days.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 16:30   #14
BHPian

Which head lights are those ? Are they Yamaha libero's light. what about the clamps , were they custom fabricated ?

I am planning for a similar upgrade . Please do throw some light.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks