Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2013, 10:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes

On 4th January 2013, Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveiled 2 new motorbikes for the commuter segment. The nomenclature carries forward Mahindra groups saga of vehicle names ending with an 'O'. Bikes are named the Centuro and the Pantero.

Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers.jpg

Pricing has not been announced yet. Mahindra will follow a phased launch as opposed to a pan India launch.

High Points:
  • Both the bikes are powered by the MCI-5 (Micro Chip Ignited 5-Curve) engine developed in-house.
  • This 110cc block produces 8.38 BHP of power & 8.5 Nm of torque, and has an ARAI rating of 79.4 kpl.
  • Longest seat of the commuter segment - 774 mm in length.
  • Both the bikes get LED pilot lamps and LED tail lamps. Pilot lamps of the Centuro have a follow me home feature. (Stays on for approximately 7 seconds after switch off).
  • Both the bikes have a fully digital dashboard, however the unit of the Pantero is a lift off from the Mahindra Rodeo RZ. The Centuro's digital console also comprises of a programmed service indicator & real time DTE. (Calculates range based on every 100ml petrol consumed)
  • Centuro gets a 128-bit encrypted flip key, engine immobiliser & anti-theft system. The flip key has a find me button (20m range), a LED torch, and is water-proof as well.
  • OT: The Mahindra Mojo is nearly ready. The engine powering this bike will also be developed in-house. A 2013 unveil cannot be ruled out.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th January 2013 at 12:09.
parrys is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 10:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils Centuro & Pantero bikes.

Mahindra Centuro:

The Centuro had no branding on the bike at the time of this launch. Mahindra will surely add it before the bikes reach the showrooms.
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers001.jpg

Snake skin like decal on the tank. Paint used is metallic. A very boring exhaust pipe design.
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers002.jpg

The flip key for the Centuro is a smart move by Mahindra. It'll give owners that premium feel that only 20+ lakh sedans offered not so long ago.
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers003.jpg

Full digital speedo console.
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers004.jpg

LED pilot lamps which serve as follow me home lamps as well. Stay on for approximately 7 seconds after switch off.
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers005.jpg

Horizontal gold bars below the tank, replicating the Mahindra Mojo's tubular frame design.
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers006.jpg

MCi-5 engine decal below the pillion seat section.
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers007.jpg

Notice the red plate. This is not a full under-belly, but just a cosmetic plate on the both sides.
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers008.jpg

The manual choke lever has made it's way back to the handle-bar switches.
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers009.jpg

LED tail lamps. (Common for both bikes)
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers010.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th January 2013 at 11:53.
parrys is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 10:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Pantero:

Share's the same engine like the Centuro - this bike is just cosmetically changed with a few features skipped too.
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers011.jpg

Head lamp will remind you of the Mahindra Stallio. Well, this bike is a re-badged Stallio after-all.
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers012.jpg

LED pilot lamps do not have the follow me home function.
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers020.jpg

Notice the gap between the head lamp panels. The top section is actually attached to the digital speedo console and the lower half is the head lamp fairing.
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers022.jpg

A very basic looking bike.
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers013.jpg

Wish to check out the under-body?
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers014.jpg

Tank has a plastic/fibre moulding running across it's length. Useful protection for those who end up scraping the paint on the tank by placing bags and other stuff there. Might be an inconvenience for those who make their kids sit on the tank.
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers016.jpg

No horizontal bars as seen on the Centuro, but looks like it has a storage bin instead.
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers017.jpg

Longest seat in it's class - 774 mm.
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers018.jpg

The Pantero's digital speedo console is borrowed from the Rodeo RZ.
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers019.jpg

No flip key.
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers021.jpg

MRF Zapper shoes.
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-mahindra2wheelers023.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th January 2013 at 11:49.
parrys is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 11:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Technical Specifications:
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes-untitled.png  

parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 13:54   #5
BHPian

Re: Mahindra 2-Wheelers unveils its Centuro & Pantero bikes

I'm risking an infraction here but my first reaction is "ugly" even though I was not expecting Mahindra to reinvent the wheel. Again no reason for launching the same motorcycle in two variants. I think Mahindra has to realize that the cars segment is different from the motorcycle segment in India. Overall both the bikes depict a lot of confusion since they have been designed with bits and pieces from all other motorcycles on the Indian roads today and somewhere fail to have an identity of their own. I fear a repeat of Suzuki Heat/Zeus saga. And for God's sake Mahindra cannot grow out of it's love for the disaster called "Mojo" (who on earth would name a Motorcycle that, anyways). Why put those fake pipes under the tank of the "Centuro" straight out of "Mojo". And who cares about flip out keys anyways.

Great Report @ the OP.

Last edited by GTO : 5th January 2013 at 14:45. Reason: No inappropriate language please. Thank you
sabret00the is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 14:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Oh Oh why does M&M want to get into two wheeler segment and give us with these poor examples :(
Understand they are meant to be commuter bikes but still lack basic safety feature like a disc. Apart from the key Fob and follow me home lights which are not deal makers the rest of the bike appears to be pedestrian. Long seat might suit Indian Families.(4 family member - 2 adults and 2 kids).
Any inkling on the price ?
Old 5th January 2013, 19:56   #7
BHPian

Who wants a 'follow me *** feature. They ciuld have given a better looking [roduct with a disc brake and more fit and finish.
Ashley Nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 20:42   #8
BHPian

I'd rather Mahindra rename itself MahindrO. Their first gen bikes were a flop and got them a bad name. Looks like ex-kinetic guys still have their say here.

Centuro / Pantero is not as easy as "hero" in pronunciation too.

The mounts for the rear panel are sure to give away easily. Potholed roads are bad for this sort of fit and finish.
Old 5th January 2013, 23:41   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Not much of an effort by M&M to redo its flop two wheeler maker image. The bikes do not look great or appear great in any department and are bound to remain at the base level in the sales sweepstakes.The competitors are much ahead and will continue to give sleepless nights to M&M which has a long , long way to go if at all it has to remain a serious player.
They do not have any known or great name as their collaboration partners while the competition has BIG NAMES to showcase.
I am not sure how many Kinetic bike models came and disappeared. A 100 cc model of a Kinetic bike that appeared around more than a decade ago, had an indicator on the console that showed the gear that is engaged. This one was promoted by Kapil Dev. But it disappeared soon from the scene.
Mahindra uses the same factory that Kinetic used. Believe they have to do some Vaastu at the site to write great stories from their marketing department.
But marketing comes later. Firstly, they must make bikes that offer newer features, are at least generation ahead to look at and lastly offer something different from the competition.
Old 6th January 2013, 00:46   #10
BHPian

Thumbs up to the LED pilot lamps and tail lamps, immobilizer, anti-theft system and the flip-key. But personally a strong thumbs down to the bikes themselves. This feels like the Kinetic story all over again - at least they had some good looking bikes (for their time i.e.).
I say Mahindra should focus on producing 150cc+ path breaking designs with segment beating performance. Period!
Old 6th January 2013, 08:21   #11
rbp
BHPian

Looks Chinese, horrible looking bikes, just check the plastic quality on the console, I hope they have sorted out the gear box issues of the earlier bike. I hope this is Mahindra's last attempt at the two wheelers segment.
Old 6th January 2013, 09:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
I say Mahindra should focus on producing 150cc+ path breaking designs with segment beating performance. Period!

a. easier said than done.
b. The money is in the bread and butter segments - 100,125 cc.

Even yamaha's profitability came from FZ, not the R-15.

Honda's profitability comes from dream yuga and shine, not CBR150R - segment beating performance that no one gives a damn about, nor buys!
Old 6th January 2013, 12:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Even yamaha's profitability came from FZ...
Yes exactly! And the Yamaha FZ16 is a 150cc+ (a 153CC to be precise ) bike. And it's design was indeed path breaking as far as the Indian scene was at that time. It turned around Yamaha India's fortunes for the better.
Quote:
The money is in the bread and butter segments - 100,125 cc.
But with so many existing players in that segment catering all kinds of needs, isn't it tougher for Mahindra to make a name for themselves? Already Hero and Bajaj together have a strong 75% hold on that segment.

Quote:
.. not CBR150R - segment beating performance that no one gives a damn about, nor buys!
Everyone very much gives a damn about it. Yes, most of them cannot afford to buy it due to both financial and practical aspects. The bike will never be a mass-seller, but is definitely an image-builder.
Old 6th January 2013, 13:49   #14
BHPian

Dear Mahindra! Please leave the bikes to bike manufacturers! At a time when Indians have started to see the design envelope being shred to bits by Bajaj, KTM, Yamaha and Honda, you keep bringing out these relics that can only serve to make other bikes look futuristic. Mahindra's got to swallow the bitter pill and suicide before the market commits a murder.
Old 6th January 2013, 15:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra knows the art of enticing buyers by filling their UVs with electronic gadgetry; lets see if a similar strategy will pay off in two wheelers?!

But personally I feel the Indian commuter segment is highly matured and know their bikes. When makers are shifting to 5 speed boxes, mono shocks, 4 valve heads and some really world class designs, launching something like this without even a front disc looks very very conservative!!!

Best of Luck nonetheless.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks