Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2013, 17:44   #1
BHPian

Looking for a light, easy to ride bike for the city?

This is probably a strange request for some of you. I am considering getting a two wheeler. have driven Honda Activa and Kinetic Honda and even a scooty in college days. Now, when I am trying to get back to the two wheeler zone, I am not quite in the mood to get back to a gear less scooter. My question is, can i try a a light bike by Bajaj or hero for an interesting change, Here are my requirements:

1. Self start, strictly no kicking required
2. Must be light weight in handling. two women have to handle it all by themselves
3. mileage - to drive to workplace in peak traffic hours
4. low maintenance
Old 5th January 2013, 18:11   #2
BHPian

Re: Looking for a light, easy to ride bike for the city?

Why dont you have a look at the TVS Jive. It works on a clutchless mechanism with rotary gears and as a result no headache of using the clutch. Not expensive to buy either and pretty cheap on maintenance too.
balenopower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 19:17   #3
BHPian

Any thoughts on Honda Shine?
Old 5th January 2013, 19:22   #4

2nd the opinion. I am using a Jive for lasr two years and it's simply fantastic and extreamly user friendly. In kolkata traffic it's boon. Go for it with your eyes closed. You won't regret.
Old 5th January 2013, 19:41   #5
BHPian

Honda Shine is a 4 geared 125cc motorcycle. Very low on maintenance and very high quality engine. However, if you are new to motorcycling and need to learn, then expect a few parts for replacement during your course of learning. Maybe the clutch plates, which are the usual high wear parts during the learning process.

Perhaps I could suggest a used motorcycle first to get a hang and then once you are more confident then you could invest in a new motorcycle.

Prajwal
Old 5th January 2013, 19:48   #6
BHPian

Question here is are you well versed with motorcycles with gears? If you are then there are like a dozen motorcycles in the 100-125cc segment which you can look at.
Old 5th January 2013, 22:54   #7
BHPian

Why do you guys assume womanonwheels hasn't driven a motorcycle before?

@womanonwheels, I'm a fan of TVS for it's reliability. You could take a look at their TVS Star City which shares the engine from the TVS Victor, a bike I've owned for 8 yrs. Quite lightweight (dry weight = 95kgs) and very reliable engine and mechanicals. No rusting anywhere either. Also, their clutch lever is the lightest - you won't feel tired holding it in traffic. Haven't changed clutch and cables yet in 60K km, still running on original air filter with regular cleaning. All forward gear system will give you peace of mind. You can happily switch to neutral at traffic lights. And finally the tires are larger (both height and width) than bikes such as the Splendor so you have better road grip.

All the best with your search!

Last edited by hellmet : 5th January 2013 at 23:00.
Old 5th January 2013, 23:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanonwheels View Post

1. Self start, strictly no kicking required
2. Must be light weight in handling. two women have to handle it all by themselves
3. mileage - to drive to workplace in peak traffic hours
4. low maintenance
Well first n foremost suggest you to check yourself on the bike. Ensure the bike is good for you in terms of your ground reach. If you are a beginner to motorcycling world suggest you to check on RX 135. They are easily available in seconds and very forgiving. Very easy on maintenance because of its simple engine any roadside mechanic will be able to help you. You might have to compromise on fuel economy however, but once you master it, will be a very potent mobike.

PS: not sure on your expertise with motorcycles hence my call as a novice.
Old 6th January 2013, 00:17   #9
BHPian

I'm guessing you already know how to ride a geared motorbike and that you have a license for geared bikes too. In this case, you should start by getting a test ride of the bikes you fancy. There are many light weight, low maintenance, and even fun bikes in the 100-135cc category.

From 150cc and upwards the bikes tend to be slightly heavier, but I have two women colleagues who use 150cc bikes for their daily commute - a Yamaha FZ and a Suzuki Fiero F2. So maybe you should test ride and shortlist a few. It will then be easier to zero in.

However, if you are a novice, and have little or no experience with geared motorbikes then it might be hard for you to distinguish between a good used buy and one that's not. It will then be better to buy brand new.

The TVS Jive is real fun because of the way it functions (It's simply impossible to stall ).The Hero Splendor still rules the 100cc segment and its reliability is legendary. The Honda Shine is a zippy city bike, and there are many other 125cc bikes which look better and ride well too. You can even join the Bajaj Pulsar club by getting a Pulsar 135 LS (the name itself stands for 'Light Sport').
You are spoilt for choice actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
...suggest you to check yourself on the bike. Ensure the bike is good for you in terms of your ground reach.
And +1 to that!

Last edited by Miel : 6th January 2013 at 00:20. Reason: Grammar!
Old 6th January 2013, 01:03   #10
MHG
BHPian

If you're already experienced with bikes, ignore this line but other wise, I don't see any reason why you should have any difficulty riding a bike if you're already acquainted with scooters. Its just a question of changing gears.

If you're finding Activa easy to use, atleast 50% of bikes should be a cakewalk then because given identical weights, a bike is much easier to Balance because your thighs also aid in balancing the bike. Try sitting on a scooter that is not in stand, remove your hands off the handlebar and see if you can keep it stable while having a chat with someone. Its going to be hard. But in the case of a similar situation with a bike, your thighs hold the fuel tank and keep the bike stable much more easily.

Now back to suggestions for a bike, I think you should give the Bajaj Discover 125 ST and Bajaj Discover 150 a thought. Onroad prices of the two are 65k and 62k respectively. They are the best commuters I've sat on this side of 65k, whether you're looking at power, functionality or comfort.

Honda Shine is overpriced for what it offers and is (no offence to owners as this is my personal opinion) 5 years behind time. It vibrates a lot after crossing 60, has only 4 gears, is priced really high but the power and torque figures are mediocre.

Oh and if you have a Suzuki dealer nearby, check out the Hayate. Its the lightest and smallest bike (not moped) on sale currently in India but packs enough punch for city rides with pillion.

I suggest you go to showrooms and get a "feel" of the bikes before buying them though. While anybody can talk about a bike based on facts, figures and statistics, you can never determine how comfortable it is without sitting on it.
MHG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2013, 15:06   #11

I think you can also consider the Hero Impulse (although, I'm not a big fan of it's design but it might suit your requirements). Also, you can look at the Yamaha FZS or the FZ15 as they're lightweight, pack enough punch to ride with a pillion and are reliable enough (Yamaha quality). Most importantly, get a prior feel of any bike you're considering by test-riding a friend's or acquaintance's machine (some dealers don't allow test-rides, hence the suggestion). I've seen women ride Enfields and R15s too so, it's all a matter of comfort and choice..
Old 7th January 2013, 10:30   #12
BHPian

I would suggest the HH splendor. It now comes with electric start as well.
Simple, light, fuel efficient and most reliable. Any roadside shop can repair it and has spares.
You can't go wrong with the best selling bike in the world
I own one since 1998. Rashly driven till 2004 and then used only 5 days a year.
Still works like a charm.

If it matters to you: its too common and hence absolutely no status symbol. You need to remember the registration number to locate it in parking lots ( like they show in the new ads)
Old 7th January 2013, 10:52   #13
BHPian

As suggested by few, try the TVS jive (though it is a market dud) if you want all the comfort of a bike, minus the clutch. Only thing to remember is to wring the throttle gently when you are in first gear else, the bike does a wheelie (on its own!) quite easily.

Not sure if this is a inherent problem or was it only with the test ride machine I rode.

My all time bet would be the Honda Shine. Got self start, its light and of all things, its a Honda and comes with words 'Peace of mind' in gold!

Although the machine is a gem, I would not rate the service the same. Almost all the service centers have problem in handling the huge volumes they encounter on any given day and this shows on the shoddy work they do.
Old 7th January 2013, 11:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

@WoW,

As opined by others, I would suggest TVS Jive for that initial seamless transition even if you have already a pro with the geared bikes. Clutchless bikes are indeed a boon for the daily city commute. If this does not appeal, then I would suggest any entry level bikes from Honda or Bajaj stables would be the right choice. Just ride them and choose one that you feel is light weight. Pls note most of the bikes are in the +100 kgs kerb weight range.
Old 7th January 2013, 11:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend the Honda Shine just for its sheer reliability and ease os use. I must admit that I have no idea of its current onroad price. You may want to test drive a used bike just to see how it would behave a few months down the line. If in Pune, I can offer my bike, perhaps some Mumbai bhpians can help out?

I own one since the last 5 years without a single glitch or issue. True example of fill it, shut it, forget it. mine was from the first batch, so doesnt have the self starter, but I preferred it this way. Thats probably the only exercise my feet see anyway!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks