Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2013, 16:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

KTM to buy Husqvarna

Something nice must have caught everyone's attention this morning if you have been reading Times of India. The business section stood out with this news

KTM to buy BMW's subsidiary Husqvarna !!

Source:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/18265824.cms

Husqvarna has a range of off-road, supermoto and street bikes, including the Nuda 900 and TR650 range of street bikes, SMR 630, 511, 125 and SMS 125 range of supermoto bikes, the TXC cross country range, the TE Enduro range as well as a mini cross range

Imagine the 125 or the 511 or the 630 or TR650 hitting Indian shores!!

Mods: If there is already a thread regarding the above, please merge the same.
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 16:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: KTM to buy Husqvarna

All I can say to you and Djay is that I would put good money on this happening before Triumph's "coming soon" actually (if ever) comes.
Old 31st January 2013, 16:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
All I can say to you and Djay is that I would put good money on this happening before Triumph's "coming soon" actually (if ever) comes.
nobody likes life difficult. but I am loving this "life difficult" scenario! Heart and mind all set out for the Triumph but their "coming soon" is like that of a never to be released blockbuster. But you never know, djay has had some very encouraging news on the Triumph front.

Doc I would dare to use your phrase "Bring it on!!"
Old 31st January 2013, 17:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
nobody likes life difficult. but I am loving this "life difficult" scenario! Heart and mind all set out for the Triumph but their "coming soon" is like that of a never to be released blockbuster. But you never know, djay has had some very encouraging news on the Triumph front.

I will not be going for the Street Triple bro. I need something more off road and not necessarily as powerful.
Old 31st January 2013, 17:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will not be going for the Street Triple bro. I need something more off road and not necessarily as powerful.
So what have you set your eyes upon? The faired 390? but that isn't going to be an off road machine, will it be?
Old 31st January 2013, 17:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So, you're almost certain to go the ST way? 6 lacs for a super cool naked bike, which has a 3 cylinder engine that belts 100+ bhp and super exhaust note, isn't a bad wait I guess. That'll be quite an upgrade I guess. Frankly speaking, the real cool bike gang (nakeds or cruisers) starts@6+ lacs (read Iron883 and ST 675/Ducati Monster)

Quote:
So, KTM Duke 390 then? Or not sure about it? Do you like dirt type (semi offroad) bikes or simply nakeds? Read elsewhere about your love for bullets. So, why not consider an HD then? If I get your strategy, you'll be keeping the Bullet and will keep changing the other bike. Why not retain the D200 and get an HD(as a Bullet replacement)? Just a thought.

If you're keeping the Bullet and changing the other bike, then which one to replace D200? D390? Or something bigger?

BTW, I am almost certain on the KTM Duke 390. Just that they don't have the bike yet!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 31st January 2013 at 17:58.
Old 31st January 2013, 18:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
So, you're almost certain to go the ST way? 6 lacs for a super cool naked bike,
You are right! "Almost" certain! For now its wait and watch!
Old 31st January 2013, 21:53   #8
BHPian

Speculations were true.... Husky is sold to the KTM majority owner Stafan Pierer...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...0B0FRF20130131

Prajwal
Old 1st February 2013, 11:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
Speculations were true.... Husky is sold to the KTM majority owner Stafan Pierer...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...0B0FRF20130131

Prajwal
Read between the lines (words) It is sold to the "owner" Stefan is taking over Husq's through another company not via KTM.
Old 1st February 2013, 13:20   #10
BHPian

Aah, what i'd give to be 18 again. By the time the today's 18year olds start earning, they will have some superb motorcycles to choose from and have a blast riding it during their active riding days. Now, I will be the old fart with some nice bikes, riding out occasionally! Damnit. SO be it! BRRING IT!
Huskys have always been a fantasy and this is great news, considering KTM is here in India to stay. I hope they do have a plan for huskys in India. Definitely looking forward.
wolfy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 16:18   #11
BHPian

BMW sells Husqvarna to KTM

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11302015...-stefan-pierer
Old 5th February 2013, 13:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So what have you set your eyes upon? The faired 390? but that isn't going to be an off road machine, will it be?
The sensible thing would be to wait for the 390 Adventure (that's not what its called officially - just easy to get the point across, and most bikers are using this name for now).

However, hear from an auto journalist friend that its not coming before early-mid 2015 (Europe launch late 2014).

Can I wait that long while the rest of the world is blasting away on the 390 Duke - I really do not know. I suspect not.

P.S. Scoop! The faired version will be a 250 - not a 390.

Quote:
So, KTM Duke 390 then? Or not sure about it? Do you like dirt type (semi offroad) bikes or simply nakeds? Read elsewhere about your love for bullets. So, why not consider an HD then?

If I get your strategy, you'll be keeping the Bullet and will keep changing the other bike. Why not retain the D200 and get an HD(as a Bullet replacement)? Just a thought.
I like nakeds. Something that's tough, fast, and light, and can be equally at home on mud and rocks and gravel, as it is on smooth tarmac. Good suspension, good ground clearance.

I just came back from an amazing 4 days in Goa at the India Bike Week. Saw over 500 Harleys. Rode back to Pune with one.

Simply put - a Harley ticks none of the boxes which I need in my bike.

It weighs in at over 350 kilos. Big guys can hardly move it at standstill. The de rigeur method of backing it into a parking formation is for one guy to pull the rear grab rail while another pushes on either the handle or the forks.

Its got gobs of torque, no two ways about it. But its not very fast. And it vibrates and shakes. There is a 110 year legacy of Harley Davidson never advertising their BHP values on any of their models. Something worn as a badge of honor by owners sold the spiel by the slick sales teams.

The reason is not difficult to understand. A stock Harley on a dyno would be as underpowered (vis a vis engine displacement) as a stock Bullet.

And finally the super soft suspension and ground clearance of all of 4 inches before you scrape the underside of your 10 Lac+ pride and joy as you maneuver through the badlands off Nippani. Maybe perfect for the arrow straight smooth US roads. Woefully out of place here in India. Harley offers better/stiffer progressive coil rear shocks as after market fitments. Cost only 58K a piece (the front crash bar cost 19K).

If you see a Harley go over an undulating surface it will be bobbing front and rear up and down like a ship in a choppy sea. That is with only the rider. Put a normal weight pillion on, and the rear collapses, to the extent that the exhaust pipes are now sloping and pointing down to the ground.

Give a Harley to a good rider, and send him up Amboli (or any other smoth tarmac ghat) and see how he squirms on every corner as he threads the bike carefully semi upright for fear of his shiny chrome Screaming Eagle pipes touching down in a shower of (very expensive) sparks.

Summary - no Harley for me, thank you.

Quote:
If you're keeping the Bullet and changing the other bike, then which one to replace D200? D390? Or something bigger?
Yup the KTM 390 in all likelihoood. The Duke if I cannot/will not wait. The Adventure if I can and will.

Maybe even a Husky now?!!

Wish Yamaha brings the WR450 (what a bike man!). Or Suzuki the DR650.

Now that would mean serious decision time .....

Last edited by ebonho : 5th February 2013 at 14:04.
Old 5th February 2013, 15:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can I wait that long while the rest of the world is blasting away on the 390 Duke - I really do not know. I suspect not.

I like nakeds. Something that's tough, fast, and light, and can be equally at home on mud and rocks and gravel, as it is on smooth tarmac. Good suspension, good ground clearance.

Yup the KTM 390 in all likelihoood. The Duke if I cannot/will not wait. The Adventure if I can and will.

Maybe even a Husky now?!!

Wish Yamaha brings the WR450 (what a bike man!). Or Suzuki the DR650.

Now that would mean serious decision time .....
Okies, got it And you beauty...for giving the inside news that the faired version is a 250. I think that may be correct since it may be derived from the MotorGP bike and not D390, as most have expected.

So, decision made simple then. D390 it is! If I can resist the temptation (and manage the moolah) for a Street Triple 675 With my close to 16-17 lakhs D segment car purchase impending this year, that's highly unlikely. Have you considered extending your budget for the ST? It's an ideal bike for a person who has preferences like yours.

BTW, why do so many folks stay away from the Ducati Monster on the forum? Is the A.S.S that bad? Coz it looks cool for sure. And yes, I agree that the HD for all its oomph factor, is underpowered (w.r.t displacement). A guesstimate pegs the Superlow/Iron's 883 cc engine at around 42-45 bhp, an abysmally low figure for a relatively large heart (even with all the torque)

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 5th February 2013 at 15:41.
Old 5th February 2013, 16:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think that may be correct since it may be derived from the MotorGP bike and not D390, as most have expected.
Yup same platform. But except for bragging rights, there will be very little similar between the production faired 250 and the MotoGP race 250.

Quote:
Have you considered extending your budget for the ST? It's an ideal bike for a person who has preferences like yours.
I said it before about the ST. A bit too much plastic. A bit too little ground clearance. A bit too expensive. I would have said a bit too much power as well ..... but no biker says that.

Quote:
A guesstimate pegs the Superlow/Iron's 883 cc engine at around 42-45 bhp, an abysmally low figure for a relatively large heart (even with all the torque)
My friend was riding a 1600 cc Street Bob. He's taken it a little over 160 kmph, though it would do about 185 kmph when fully wrung out.

Wide open meandering roads like the NH4 are where the Harleys are in their element.

On the way back, between Sankeshwar and Nippani, just for kicks, I was fully crouched on the tank and touched 139 before the limiter cut in. My friend touched about 150+ on the same stretch. But slouching comfortably upright.

Last edited by ebonho : 5th February 2013 at 16:44.
Old 5th February 2013, 16:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sorry to be dumb here - what is it going to be? 250? 390?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks