Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Have you ever claimed your two wheeler insurance?
Yes (Total Loss/ Fire/ Theft) 2 7.69%
No (Never encountered any of the above) 14 53.85%
Yes (For minor cosmetic damages) 4 15.38%
No (Prefer paying out of pocket for minor damages) 9 34.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2013, 20:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Two Wheeler Insurance: How often do you claim?

It is conventional wisdom that any two wheeler/ four wheeler we own cannot legally ply on the roads unless it has a valid insurance in place.

As far as Four wheeler insurance is concerned, we all know that it comes handy in case of an accident/ theft/ loss due to fire/ minor accidents & cosmetic damages etc. Any genuine claim by the insured are most often honored by the Insurer without any fuss.

Now coming to two wheeler insurance, am just curious as to how useful it is in the real life context. I have only seen people claiming insurance in case of Theft/ Grave accident.

My specific concerns:
  • Can we use our two wheeler insurance to pay for mechanical damages to the engine/ other critical components caused by self (accident)/ third party.
  • Will the insurance pay for the cosmetic damages like fuel tank dented beyond repair/ broken fender etc.,
  • How practical/ economic sense does it make to do so?
  • Lastly, have you guys ever claimed your two wheeler insurance? *Poll added*

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 4th February 2013 at 20:52.
Old 5th February 2013, 07:21   #2
BHPian

Re: Two Wheeler Insurance: How often do you claim?

Oh, yes!

A couple of years ago I lost balance and fell on the road because of a moron on moped. Only minor damages like a bent handle bar, a few scratches on headlight cover and front cowling, a broken headlight bracket, etc., Not all ASCs in Hyderabad suggested me to claim insurance for these minor damages. But, one particular SC was very prompt in generating a quote, providing me with a form, and calling the insurance agent themselves. I never met that agent, but I got 2500 for a total of 4000 (because plastic parts were a majority).

Insurer: Bajaj Allianz
Old 5th February 2013, 07:50   #3
BHPian

In late 90s, on advise of my mechanic, I successfully claimed compensation for my bike's dented beyond repair fuel tank.
Since insurance premium, and therefore the NCBs on Indian bikes is not very significant, might as well claim for damages if need be.

Last edited by AlokSriva : 5th February 2013 at 07:53.
Old 5th February 2013, 10:44   #4

I had claimed full insurance on theft of my classic 350 last year, Bajaj Allianz was my insurer , had a very good experience with them , they were very professional in addressing the claim. after submitting the necessary documents , claim amount was settled in 10 days. I only had problems with Madiwala police for issue of No trace certificate.
Old 5th February 2013, 23:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have owned 3 two wheelers over the last decade and never once claimed insurance. All 3 of them have/had comprehensive insurance done. Now that I think about it, is ot better to get a TP insurance done for T/W? I know the amount is not substantial, but when I add up what I have paid for all these years, I could atleast buy nice seat covers for my car..
Old 6th February 2013, 17:56   #6
BHPian

I have owned 4 two wheelers till date (Kinetic Honda, Yamaha Crux, HH Pleasure and Bullet UCE) and have not claimed the insurance ever.

I think the so-called co-pay and deductible part usually makes sure that you pay enough through your pocket anyways; so unless there is major spend required, I would prefer to pay it myself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks