Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2013, 18:58   #1
BHPian

How would you keep your (motorcycle) engine rust-free?

I have an 8+ year old TVS Victor that is starting to show rust on the engine block and it's got me worried. I had installed a fancy engine guard for 'coolness' sake back when I was a teenager but that has thankfully helped keep all the grime and water away from the front of the engine, which is almost spot free. However, the rear side which collects water during washes has rusted:

How would you keep your (motorcycle) engine rust-free?-img_3551.jpg

The vehicle runs well and I'd like to keep riding it for some time to come (until I replace it). It had some rust on the body which I sanded and touched up myself (black is an easy color for touch ups), but I would like to know what I could do to avoid the engine block from rusting any further.

I could paint it, probably, but sanding would be really difficult what with the vents so tightly packed! Could I just spray some engine oil on it every once a few months? I understand oil would attract dust, but would it do the job without turning into fumes (or worse, fire)?

If you have other ideas, please let me know!

Last edited by hellmet : 23rd February 2013 at 19:00.
Old 23rd February 2013, 20:33   #2
BHPian

Re: How would you keep your (motorcycle) engine rust-free?

Even I had similar problem, I just sanded it up and applied black paint using a canister spray. Its still holding, but I know it will repeat.
You could sand it up using a pencil file or something like that, apply red-oxide and then paint it black. It should last but I do not know how long.

Dont try applying oil or any inflammable substance there, its a safety hazard. The oil will burn leading to smoke and carbon deposits later which would be again difficult to remove.
amit_purohit20 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 20:34   #3
BHPian

Apply WD-40 thoroughly to the affected areas.

Let it sit for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Scrub the area with a wirebrush or glass wool.Even those metal dishwasher things would work.

Hope this was helpful

B O V
B O V is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2013, 21:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I had installed a fancy engine guard for 'coolness' sake back when I was a teenager but that has thankfully helped keep all the grime and water away from the front of the engine, which is almost spot free. However, the rear side which collects water during washes has rusted:
If it is not for aesthetics, I would suggest not to worry much about it. As per my knowledge, this rust is only on the surface and is not going to affect the engine even in the long run.

Meanwhile, could you also put up a picture of the front portion where there is no rust? Just to have a comparison and to know how effective is an engine guard.

Last edited by thoma : 24th February 2013 at 21:27. Reason: Sorry for the part that I am not sure about.
Old 25th February 2013, 09:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hellmet, I would agree with what BOV has mentioned. Even I had some minor rust on the cylinder fins of my RX135 (lesser than that on your Victor, but still, the paint had bubbled up considerably). I sat with a pack of glass wool and sanded down the surface rust gently till the surface became smooth and right now, it is fine. Try and make sure you clean the fins also when you clean your bike (at least once a week). That should go a long way in further rust build-up.
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 09:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

+1 to WD40. It should take care off most of that rust. A nice sunday job should do it !
Old 27th February 2013, 19:07   #7
BHPian

Thanks a lot everybody. I got some steel wool and a box of black paint. I will get to rubbing the rust off this weekend, and then will apply paint over it. I did not invest in WD40 or Red Oxide as I will barely be using a fraction of both for the job. I plan to coat the area twice with paint just to be sure.

I'm unable to take pictures of the engine front since the engine cowl is in place. I'll try taking some when I open it this weekend.

EDIT: My motorcycle completed 60K today!
Old 27th February 2013, 22:53   #8
BHPian

There are several High Temperature Paints ( Not the Bosny cannister one) which comes with specific temperatures. Remove the rust and apply such paints. I had used once this http://www.bosny.com/hitemp.html, on my endcan.. It gave up within a months time. After that I have used some canned ones, came with two different liquids and some procedure, I don't see any deterioration in the surface even after 5/6 months.

Logically if a boiler can stay rust free largely ( compared to the job does), then engine can also stay. Gurus correct me, if I am wrong.

Last edited by dip27in : 27th February 2013 at 22:56. Reason: wish to add few more informations

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks