Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2006, 11:27   #1
BHPian

wet clutch vs dry clutch and slippers clutches

hello guys,
what's the difference between wet multiplate clutch and dry clutch and from both of these which one is better and why?
Old 13th May 2006, 12:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

Also,

Could someone please explain the benefits and drawbacks of a "slipper clutch" like on the `06 R6.

cya
R
Old 13th May 2006, 13:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Rehaan, a slipper clutch, as the name implies, slips (ok sorry, bad start!). It is basically designed to slip when sudden torque or load is applied, like when you downshift hard into a corner. This prevents the rear from breaking free and the rider is able to stick to his optimum line.

The downside is a lack of engine braking, I guess.

My definition is based on my own understanding, so if anyone has anything to correct/add, please feel free.

OT: Happy birthday Rehaan...I see some promises of a night of alcohol on some thread...

Last edited by v1p3r : 13th May 2006 at 13:15.
Old 15th May 2006, 13:37   #4
BHPian

As Explaind by v1p3r, Slipper clutch is for basically when you down shifting and not to lose the speed in the corners. slipper clutch is basicaly for the race tracks, it is not recommended in the city traffic where you relay on engine braking if you have the habit to do so.
Old 15th May 2006, 13:49   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
slipper clutch is basicaly for the race tracks, it is not recommended in the city traffic where you relay on engine braking if you have the habit to do so.
My understanding is that it will be of great benefit for both, track and street. The "slipper" aspect would only cut in if you downshift at too high a rpm/speed, where, without the slipper, you would lock up the rear wheel, and unsettling the bike. If the downshift if done with the correct blip of the throttle, the slipper clutch would not have any real effect. Also, it would not have an effect on your engine braking.

So, this aspect would be ideally suited to all sorts of riding.
Old 15th May 2006, 22:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
If the downshift if done with the correct blip of the throttle, the slipper clutch would not have any real effect. Also, it would not have an effect on your engine braking.
I thought the major disadvantage of blipping or rev-matching was the loss of engine braking.
Old 15th May 2006, 23:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes Rtech slipper clutch is of no real effect under revv matching but the sure advantage of slippers are they cut down wheel locking by a large extent. When the wheels lock at downshifts even for few milliseconds there is a probablility that the rider would lose control of his rear end(especially in the wet when the traction is more in demand)... We have observed what used to happen to 500cc 2strokers...downshift-wheel lock-suspension throw-slide-crashhh!!!

For more inf try this link...it gives everything http://www.sigmaperformance.com/slipperclutch.html
Old 16th May 2006, 10:08   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes Rtech slipper clutch is of no real effect under revv matching but the sure advantage of slippers are they cut down wheel locking by a large extent.
Exactly Wolf. Thats why I said that it would be equally useful on the street as well as the track.

V1p3r, engine braking still takes place after revmetching. You basically blip the throttle when downshifting to prevent unsettling the vehicle as when you match the revvs on the downshift, the weight transfer is minimised. However, if you simply downshift without blipping, you can feel the vehicle getting unsettled.

As far as engine braking, this will always take place as long as the clutch is engaged. Matching revvs while downshifting does not change this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks