Team-BHP - Royal Enfield Bullet 500 - NEW model coming. EDIT : Launched @ 1.53 Lakhs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Royal Enfield Bullet 500 - NEW model coming. EDIT : Launched @ 1.53 Lakhs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/134304-royal-enfield-bullet-500-new-model-coming-edit-launched-1-53-lakhs.html)

Hi guys,

Just saw this ad (attached below) in the April 2013 issues of Bike India and Auto Bild India magazines. Seems Royal Enfield is going back to roots to offer a 500cc standard-style Bullet motorcycle for the India market, that too in my favorite green color! I checked the site listed on the ad but it just says "coming soon" for now: http://royalenfield.com/bullet500/

Anybody have any further details they can share? Is it just styling differences from the current CL500 (probably)? Pricing? Any launch dates? They're mentioning it'll be available only in select markets - which ones? etc.

Though I like the looks of the current Classic 500, I think if given a choice I may just go for this old Standard look - harkens back to the older Cast Iron 500s from some years ago. And like I already mentioned, LOVE the classic green color that immediately brings to mind pre-1950s British vintage motorcycles. :)

There is already a STD500 being sold in the export markets which looks just like the STD UCE 350 sold in India.

My guess is selling the same one here with a different color. The color shown in the pictures are similar to the Bullet Diesel green sold many years ago.

Yup, I've seen the foreign market 500 variants when I'm in the US - Classic 500, the black STD 500, the G5 with old Machismo type chromed tanks as well as British-racing-green color variant, etc. - they're quite popular with the "cool" hipster crowd in New York and other cities ;)

Good to see RE offering more choice for the Indian market too. Now if they only work on closing the demand-supply gap, as well as their quality control! :D

Harking back on the old 'classic' design could be a marketing gimmick.

However, I think RE should interpret the classic design in modern esthetics. I never was a great fan of the metal piece attached to the tank which connects to the frame - while stark naked functional design has its own fans, in my view it is 'design' laziness.

I always thought they should have figured out how to mask the battery or whatever is there in the rectangular box which looks out of place in a curvaceous design.

The metal restraint for the pillion rider is bound to give way after a while which I've seen on multiple bullets. And there are gaps between the seat and the frame which could have been creatively 'closed'.

While they have improved the engine under the UCE rubric, there are too many pieces which have a potential to be melded together to make it look less 'agricultural' while retaining the 'back to basics' philosophy.

Retro need not be retrogressive in my humble opinion.

Somehow there is an uncomfortable 'gawkishness' to the bike, which can be interpreted in a tad sophistication without losing the basic design. Anyways looks are always are subjective. But a unified idiom if not a language is what RE should have attempted since they are not struggling with cash flows and with the sales doing fairly OK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soonya (Post 3078451)
Harking back on the old 'classic' design could be a marketing gimmick.

However, I think RE should interpret the classic design in modern esthetics. I never was a great fan of the metal piece attached to the tank which connects to the frame - while stark naked functional design has its own fans, in my view it is 'design' laziness.

You've brought up some good points. :thumbs up If RE were to address all or even some of the issues you mentioned then I too think it would make for a more aesthetically pleasing motorcycle, without losing its quintessentially RE Bullet look. I think I, and most other people, accept the Bullet's looks the way it is because that's the way it has been for so long - thus justifying its "timeless" "classic" appeal. When considering modifications (which I am considering for my current 350 Electra and future 500, whichever one it is eventually) I'm thinking about changing the muffler, handlebar, grips, mirrors, seats, sari-guard, etc. But I had never considered that piece of metal that connects the tank to the frame, as well as that square battery box. Now that you mention it, yes, these and others do seem like design "laziness" that RE, in its present position, should perhaps consider finessing.

Finally looks like some good news about a 500 standard (I assume it will be that). I was really disappointed with the Classic Seating, Good for photography/show but bad for your behind and rear seat is even worse. I was hoping that they would launch this in India as they were already exporting. But RE being RE they will test on foreigners before us desi guys.

I may be in a queue for this one if it comes with EFI and all. 500 EFi is fun to drive.

Oh on reading further looks like this may be carb version. It will be interesting to see how different will the power output be compared to EFI and how it will affect the drive dynamics.

One more thing why do RE always create such a big hype (desert storm /chrome) about new color schemes if the mechanicals and the electrical parts remain the same.

If I'm not wrong Bullet Classic 500 (new desert storm/battle green model) & Bullet Std 500(EFI) is already on sale. I have done the test drive of "Desert Storm" model. Frankly speaking, one can feel the difference of old classic model & the new one very easily. There is huge difference on sound & the body weight with the old model.

There is a world of difference between the CI/AVL and the new UCE fuel injected 500 engine mate. You need to get on all to know the difference. Be it the solid/one peice built feeling, the power, the acceleration, lack of oil leaking joints, lack of heating up, there is a huge difference to be felt. The way a TB500 or a Classic 500 gets from 0-120 or brakes from 100-0 or tops out at 140+ can never be experienced on the older engines.
Somewhere on the way the bullets have lost their thump, now they produce refined growls but not the CI thump.

Dear colleagues, all said and done, RE thrives on its name only without doing much homework. It would have gone the AMBY way had not RE attempted its newer babies. On a thinking side, are we really trublu RE fans? For me, RE=Ambassador+a little bit of recent survival efforts! We should not blame our Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis, HDs etc as they are masters of innovations in biking. Do any of us own and praise Amby cars? I can expect a lot of brickbats for my opinions but it's time we stop praising RE and demeaning other bikes. We should learn to grow up. If we are only following RE for only thumps and power, its unfortunate. I ride safe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grplr02 (Post 3078538)
You've brought up some good points. :thumbs up If RE were to address all or even some of the issues you mentioned then I too think it would make for a more aesthetically pleasing motorcycle, without losing its quintessentially RE Bullet look. I think I, and most other people, accept the Bullet's looks the way it is because that's the way it has been for so long - thus justifying its "timeless" "classic" appeal. When considering modifications (which I am considering for my current 350 Electra and future 500, whichever one it is eventually) I'm thinking about changing the muffler, handlebar, grips, mirrors, seats, sari-guard, etc. But I had never considered that piece of metal that connects the tank to the frame, as well as that square battery box. Now that you mention it, yes, these and others do seem like design "laziness" that RE, in its present position, should perhaps consider finessing.

oops, sorry. Was talking to Grappler. He's my Bro based out in the US.

By the looks of it,it seems its a carbed version.Why can't R.E bring something like http://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/bullet-electra-efi for domestic market:Frustrati

Suppose there will be nothing but a new set of clothes for the RE. Mechanically will still be the same with no alterations. Wish this color came out in the Classic & Thunderbird. It would have been a good head turner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ku69rd (Post 3083217)
Suppose there will be nothing but a new set of clothes for the RE. Mechanically will still be the same with no alterations. Wish this color came out in the Classic & Thunderbird. It would have been a good head turner.

Yeah gotta agree. Really cheap wine in a new bottle lol:.

But seriously, what is going to be different other than the colour scheme?

RE Cafe Racer has been spotted testing,and picture of it is doing rounds on FB.
There is a possibility that it may be the one,but its a 535 with 35 odd Horses.
and a approx 2.5L Price tag.