Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2013, 02:26   #16
BHPian

Re: Queries about Touring on the KTM Duke 200

I haven't done any extraordinary long rides on my Duke 200 yet. Maximum I have ridden is 100 kms in a day. The problem is that most of my friends are not biking enthusiasts and own cars, so we generally do the longer trips together in the car. I do believe that the Duke 200 can easily handle long trips, and am quite eager to do it too

Really want to take a long ride sometime soon! But after summer and monsoon end of course. Don't want to get roasted in the sun or soaked to the bone in the rain either
Old 1st May 2013, 19:10   #17

Thanks you for the photos and information, all very helpful.

Always keen to see other ride reports on people who have done the trip!

To answer a couple of questions

- I am using a Kriega US30 tailpack as per the following link which give sinformation on how it mounts too

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/Kriega/Kriega.htm

Basically it uses 4 cloth straps that loop onto solid parts of the subframe underneath the seat and leave 4 exposed cloth loops outside the edges of the seat once it is affixed back on. The tail pack then secures onto these loops

- The choice of bike- This bike is being lent to me so its the best choice . I will have to put faith in the bike for mechanical reliability and hopefully it will handle the terrain. As for comfort....not a big deal for me, I am accustomed to racking up consecutive 800km days on my GSXR. A couple of my ride reports from around the eastern states of Australia can be found here

South East Australia Loop- Alpine Regions

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743848

North East Australia - Outback Australia & Tropics

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877666
LOE200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 19:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussantiago View Post
Hi LOE200 and welcome.

Over at another forum, someone rode a KTM Duke 200 up to Leh / Manali / etc with no mechanical problems or issues whatsoever, so ignore the naysayers

If interested, I can PM you the link later when I get home.

Also, if you're swinging by Delhi, feel free to crash at my place if needed, or at least meet up for a few beers

- Marcus
Marcus, Thanks for the generous offer. At this stage I am on a bit of a tight schedule. I am flying in from Brazil to Delhi and straight onto jammu the same day on the 20th August.

12 days riding starting 21st and flying out of Delhi to Sydney on 2nd August. That does leave a day or two flex in there but I am thinking of leaving my Leh > Delhi flight as same day too; just in case. I would like to visit Delhi again however I don't think time is on my side this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Hey there!
The rear seat is removable. Will post a pic as soon as I can. What type of tailpack/luggage are you planning to carry? Have a super trip!
For a few details on luggage carrying on the duke, you can see some pics on my blog about my trip to leh last year on my duke 200. The log is incomplete though.
http://motorcyclesonly.wordpress.com/
Thanks a lot for the pic wolfy. I have posted a link to a document about my tailpack above but as an indicator wil lalso post a couple of pics of it on my bike

LOE200 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 22:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Great photos , how do you find gixxer for touring long distances ?. Don't you get arms ,shoulder and back aches ?.More pics please
Old 2nd May 2013, 07:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Great photos , how do you find gixxer for touring long distances ?. Don't you get arms ,shoulder and back aches ?.More pics please
Thanks mate. There are more photos in the 2 ride reports I posted in my earlier post but I will link a couple more.

I dont find it too bad, I guess I am fairly young so can tolerate the stresses a bit better.

My ass was the most sore out of everything, I definitely need a different seat. In terms of body, my back was fine, i did feel some stress in my wrists and shoulders and also knees. But it wasn't unbearable.

LOE200 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:01   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yes, this is the best part about the new bikes on this kind of terrain. And glad that the OP is also chosing a KTM and not going all macho - trying to do it on a Royal Enfield.
As an RE rider, I absolutely agree with this comment. I've done this circuit twice on my RE but over the last few years (as I've grown more mature) I've realised the RE can be just a royal pain the butt at times. It's macho, no doubt, but sometimes one just wants convenience. Which is what the newer bikes give and the KTM is an excellent machine. Wait till June the new KTM 390 launches and I'm sure that'll blow almost everything else in this segment to dust with it's performance.

If the OP has time till June, it might make sense to take the 390 instead of the 200.

The Manali-Leh highway is far too beautiful to miss seeing the sights just because you were worrying about burning your clutch or your brakes not stopping the bike in time.
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:35   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOE200 View Post
To answer a couple of questions

- I am using a Kriega US30 tailpack as per the following link which give sinformation on how it mounts too

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/Kriega/Kriega.htm

Basically it uses 4 cloth straps that loop onto solid parts of the subframe underneath the seat and leave 4 exposed cloth loops outside the edges of the seat once it is affixed back on. The tail pack then secures onto these loops

South East Australia Loop- Alpine Regions

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743848

North East Australia - Outback Australia & Tropics

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877666
Hey Loe200! That tailpack should fit fine.. I had used my magnetic tank bag once as a tail bag and used a bungee cord to hold it down once on the duke. This bag should hold with no problems.

PS: that's a fine gixxer being put to some good use man! Have a super trip in India. Do ask us questions/help if you need any.

Cheers!
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:05   #23

Quote:
Hey Loe200! That tailpack should fit fine.. I had used my magnetic tank bag once as a tail bag and used a bungee cord to hold it down once on the duke. This bag should hold with no problems.

PS: that's a fine gixxer being put to some good use man! Have a super trip in India. Do ask us questions/help if you need any.

Cheers!
Thanks wolfy. The Gixxer has led a tough life, ridden hard on the street, then I tracked it (and subsequently high-sided it)...put it back together and now it gets taken off road haha. I'll share a picture below of how she looked in her glory days haha.

While you have mentioned tank bags. I also have a magnetic tank bag where 2 attach to the forward part of the tank and 2 towards where a riders knees/thighs rest

I have noticed in pictures of the Duke that the rear part is plastic. Is there any metal behind this that would allow my tank bag to 'grab' ?

Thanks again mate !

Mod Note: learn how to upload images!
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:36   #24

Also just realised these questions tie in to the tail end of the travelogue posted on this same forum

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...2007-09-a.html

Looking forward to adding an Indian ride report of my own
Old 2nd May 2013, 14:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOE200 View Post
Thanks wolfy. The Gixxer has led a tough life, ridden hard on the street, then I tracked it (and subsequently high-sided it)...put it back together and now it gets taken off road haha. I'll share a picture below of how she looked in her glory days haha.

While you have mentioned tank bags. I also have a magnetic tank bag where 2 attach to the forward part of the tank and 2 towards where a riders knees/thighs rest

I have noticed in pictures of the Duke that the rear part is plastic. Is there any metal behind this that would allow my tank bag to 'grab' ?

Thanks again mate !

Mod Note: learn how to upload images!
pics pics pics? where are they?
Magnetic tank bags will not work on the Duke tank. it's plastic everywhere. A friend of mine picked up a Nelson Rigg tank bag with straps for the duke and is extremely happy.
You must open a new thread about your exploits on the Gixxer. I am all eyes for that beau-t!
Old 2nd May 2013, 15:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

I'm on ADVRider and read your thread there. Some awesome pics and writeup! Looking forward to reading your RR to Leh here on Team-BHP!
Old 2nd May 2013, 16:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

If you can ride a highly strung Gizzer with those tyres on gravel, then riding the baby Duke in Ladakh should be a walk in the park.

P.S. Is that kangaroo road kill? Man they are big. Would hate to hit one in a car, forget my bike.

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd May 2013 at 16:07.
Old 3rd May 2013, 10:26   #28
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a link that might help you:

http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/2...dakh-solo.html

Ride safe !!
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 10:31   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Here is a link that might help you:

http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/2...dakh-solo.html

Ride safe !!
Thats a great ride report. Amazing photography. I can't say I will be solo on this trip however as I will be there with my uncle who has already posted his ride to Leh on these forums before.

Thanks also to those who liked the photos from my Australian rides. I would love to post my whole ride reports here but I already seem to have breached forum rules for externally linked photos and its simply too much effort to re-upload all the photos here again.

Maybe when I have a couple of hours spare I can try
Old 9th September 2013, 20:34   #30

Quote:
Hey there!
The rear seat is removable. Will post a pic as soon as I can. What type of tailpack/luggage are you planning to carry? Have a super trip!
For a few details on luggage carrying on the duke, you can see some pics on my blog about my trip to leh last year on my duke 200. The log is incomplete though.
http://motorcyclesonly.wordpress.com/

Hi Wolfy,

My name is Anand Krishnan from Navi Mumbai. Request your phone # . Wanted to know about the cans that you have behind the luggage. I am unable to see any closeup shots.

cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks