Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2013, 11:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Yamaha's Male Scooter, Ray Z

IAB have reported (courtesy Yamahafreaks.com & Bikeadvice.in) the sighting of Yamaha's male version of Ray - Ray Z, which will be launched today.

Here is the link to their report:

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/05/y...s-launch-77737

From the images it appears that Yamaha have pulled a Hero Motors trick on us , by getting few stickers on the Ray (which no doubt is a handsome... err, beautiful scooter), to make it male specific.

To be honest, I was expecting more from Yamaha (125cc, 10bhp), but they have failed me this time.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 11:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Yamaha's Male Scooter, Ray Z

I don't see any "male-ness" in the design.
Perhaps the designers felt that other "scooterettes" have curvy flowing lines, and this one has sharp and straight lines - thus masculine?
Old 24th May 2013, 11:38   #3
BHPian

Looks like the same old wine in the same bottle with a colorful skin. I think they could have named it "CRay-Z" - would have sounded better with their marketing strategy. I too expected a more powerful engine, 125 cc would have been pretty good.
Manzone799 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 12:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is a common trend in India I believe, manufacturers release five different version of the same vehicle with just some not so valuable cosmetic changes.

Ray & RayZ looks just another example. Same engine, same chassis, even same body clads.

I thought they already differentiated the gender choice by colors in Ray. Matt grey isn't dude?

Why not some powerscooters for India? Kinetic's Italino Blaze is still the biggest scooter sold in India?

Last edited by jacs : 24th May 2013 at 12:05.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 12:16   #5
BHPian

Looks inspired by the IronMan. But a little hard to digest the change in gender.
Old 24th May 2013, 13:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Definitely nothing for the masculine masses in the new launch. Seriously Yamaha should send their designers to some good bike designing school or a trip to Italy to understand bike designing. This flashiness wont work with the Indian crowd. Atleast they could introduced the launch in lower engine capacity and priced it better than the Ray
Old 24th May 2013, 13:41   #7
BHPian

Since this being a Male scooter, will it be man enough to accommodate a full-face helmet under the seat?!

May be it's only a boy & should wait for a 'grown up' scooter from Yamaha.
Old 24th May 2013, 13:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

This was clearly inspired by the Honda Dio and it's runaway success with the youth.
Old 24th May 2013, 16:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yamaha's Male Scooter, Ray Z

It has been launched at Rs.48,555 (ex-showroom Delhi).

Link to Zigwheels report:

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...aunched/16451/

The company has also added 2 variants to existing 150cc SZ-R motorcycle range - the SZ-S & the SZ-RR priced at Rs 59,500 and Rs 62,500 respectively.

But, seems like the company which introduced the masses to pocket rocket bike R15 forgot its own past wonders with innovation & performance. I would have been happier is they had introduced the FI to Ray to generate more power from the puny mill.

Lesser said about the SZ-R range is better, except for handling, it is beaten down on almost all parameters hands down by all 150cc bikes & even the Disco125ST.
Old 24th May 2013, 16:52   #10
BHPian

Yamaha has launched “Ray Z” scooter along with 2 variants of the SZ motorcycle in Goa today. The Ray Z is targeted at young males in the 16-22 age group. The Ray Z is essentially a variant of the "Ray" scooter that was released in September,last year. The 113 cc, 4-stroke air-cooled engine with CVT, is the same as that on the Ray. The Ray Z retails at Rs 48,555 (Ex-showroom Delhi).

Whats new on the Ray Z:
  • Smoked-finish visor.
  • aluminum wing-shaped rear tandem rider grab-bars.
  • Instrument panel with carbon fiber patterned background.
  • Carbon fiber patterned seat cover material
  • New coloring and graphics.
Yamaha's Male Scooter, Ray Z-image004.jpg

The Ray was developed specifically with a female audience in mind and has proven successful for Yamaha, with sales of approximately 70,000 units as of the end of last month

The company also introduced 2 new variants of the SZ motorcycle today. The "SZ-RR" comes with a smoked windscreen, aluminum grab-bars and 3D “SZ” emblem and will cost Rs 62,500 (Ex-showroom Delhi).The "SZ-S" features a simpler fuel tank design and will cost Rs 59,500 (Ex-showroom Delhi).

Last edited by Redline6800 : 24th May 2013 at 17:00.
Redline6800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 06:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is simply awesome, now you know why people keep crying out to YAMAHA to take more interest in the Indian Auto-Industry, they have tremendous potential, its like the eagle that lived among the chicken and thought it was a chicken too
Old 25th May 2013, 10:27   #12
BHPian

Not doubt it does look a little more "manly", but it looks like Yamaha have lost all sense of direction. Or maybe they're gonna wait for a while, lower our expectations and bring out another stonker like the R15!
Old 25th May 2013, 22:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

So this is what I saw today morning.

I was near Perfect Riders, Lalbagh Road and was wondering what this new scooter was in new batch of vehicles that the showroom was receiving. I couldn't wait and satisfy my curiosity. But I do remember seeing the Z on the side.

Looked good in my opinion.

Might give the Dio a run for its money now. Looks very, very youth-centric.
Old 6th October 2015, 19:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

I acquired a pre worshipped Yamaha Ray Z, partly due to my affinity towards Yamaha brand.
Absolutely no regrets, its a powerhorse and gives a good FE, though I have not personally checked the mileage.
Essential Features:
Yamaha Ray is a medium sized scooter powered by a 113 cc Air Cooled Engine with Electric and Kick start.The engine intake/exhaust systems and new transmission settings have been optimized for performance in the traffic and road condition of India.
A new visor (smoked finish) is adopted on the front that creates a "downforce" image and adds a sporty look to the front view.
Wing-shaped tandem rider grab-bars made of aluminum at the rear have been adopted. They contribute to the sporty look of the body and the "downforce" image. There are also louver-like rids on the inside of the bars that give an impression of strength.

What you will like :
  • Sporty /Racy look
  • Nicely features decals/graphics that enhance looks
  • Ample boot space under the seat to store a medium sized helmet and few essentials.
  • Headlight on the front bodyshield
  • Easy Kick start
  • Less engine noise compared to its counter parts.
What you will hate :
  • Seat position jettisons downward.
  • Less legroom
  • Battery is located behind the front bodyshield and is not secured properly. It keeps jumping up and down when you go over speedbrakers and potholes. I find this unsafe.Conventionally battery is located at the rear of any of these modern scooters and secured properly.
  • Plastic parts are tacky and of mediocre quality.
  • Absence of parking light.
  • There was no scope for much mods, hence i fitted a carry box on the grab rail, which gives it a distinctive look.
Now some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha's Male Scooter, Ray Z-1.jpg  

Yamaha's Male Scooter, Ray Z-2.jpg  

Yamaha's Male Scooter, Ray Z-3.jpg  

Yamaha's Male Scooter, Ray Z-4.jpg  

Yamaha's Male Scooter, Ray Z-5.jpg  

Yamaha's Male Scooter, Ray Z-6.jpg  

Yamaha's Male Scooter, Ray Z-7.jpg  

Yamaha's Male Scooter, Ray Z-8.jpg  

Yamaha's Male Scooter, Ray Z-9.jpg  

Yamaha's Male Scooter, Ray Z-10.jpg  

Yamaha's Male Scooter, Ray Z-11.jpg  

Yamaha's Male Scooter, Ray Z-12.jpg  

Yamaha's Male Scooter, Ray Z-13.jpg  

hillram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 14:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Am planning to pick up one myself, thanks for sharing your feedback and the pics !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks