Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2013, 11:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

My first bike, the Yamaha RX100. Need some advice?

I could never resist the rebellious streak and the kick-in-the-pants acceleration attached with the RX, hence went and got myself one. Picked her up recently. The engine and transmission are stock for now. Footwear, wheels and suspension have been updated.

But I'd like to point out that she comes with her usual share of leaky bits that I'm still not being able to pinpoint, although working in it.

Also, there is a strange drone/whirring noise from the engine all the time, which is suddenly very discomforting. Although smoke is minimal, the usual RX fare. What could it be?

I also wish she was faster though.The torque curve seems to very erratic. So, what kind of go-faster mods can I think about at the moment, without touching the engine at all?

I'm staying in Baner, Pune. Can somebody in the know point out any expert mechanics in that region? Thanks!

My first bike, the Yamaha RX100. Need some advice?-dsc_0305.jpg

My first bike, the Yamaha RX100. Need some advice?-dsc_0306.jpg

My first bike, the Yamaha RX100. Need some advice?-dsc_0309.jpg

My first bike, the Yamaha RX100. Need some advice?-dsc_0308.jpg

My first bike, the Yamaha RX100. Need some advice?-dsc_0311.jpg

My first bike, the Yamaha RX100. Need some advice?-dsc_0304.jpg

Last edited by AyAn! : 28th May 2013 at 11:14.
Old 28th May 2013, 11:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: My first bike, the Yamaha RX100. Need some advice?

Congrats Ayan. Not able to comment on a good mech in your area. But one thing sticking out is the tail lamps. Is it not the one from Bajaj Boxer? Stock lamp is made for RX.
Old 28th May 2013, 20:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My first bike, the Yamaha RX100. Need some advice?

Congratulations Ayan for the new arrival. Its simply a great bike and I have had one since the past 23 years (1990).
Your bike appears to be cosmetically modified with the wheels and even the tail light borrowed from some other bike.The RX 100 spares are still available with authorised dealers and if you decide to keep it original and stock, do go for genuine spares before the Yamaha dealers call it quits for the RX 100. That may be years away, as many RX 100's still run on our roads and are kept rocking by people like you and me. The rear indicators are life savers sometimes and are also missing and so are rear view mirrors. A leg guard is also quite a good safety device.
What are the tyre sizes that have been fitted? The rear one appears to be a wee bit larger than the much liked 3.00 X 18 size.
The silencer muffler is dented and needs to be looking more shiny.
The chrome work gets rusted so check up for rust in the front and rear mudguards (most rust prone).
Please check up the piston, piston rings, gudgeon pin and circlips and connecting rod as these are the potential components from where the noise emanates.This needs to be done by a competent mechanic.
The oil chamber (autolube) if not topped up regularly and if the engine is starved of oil (previous owner maybe) the problems arise. I had to face the music once for a failed oil pump. The engine got seized. After the repairs, the mechanic told me to always add some oil to the petrol tank (20 ml for 3 liters) so that the engine is not starved for whatever reason. White smoke emanates but can't help.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 28th May 2013 at 20:45.
Old 28th May 2013, 22:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

I love the way your RX looks reminds me of mine, i sold it off to a friend and will be borrowing from him when i am back in india.
Attached Thumbnails
My first bike, the Yamaha RX100. Need some advice?-dsc02102.jpg  

Last edited by desideep : 28th May 2013 at 22:29.
Old 29th May 2013, 00:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Footwear, wheels and suspension have been updated.
Congrats on acquiring a classic. A bike with great character. Makes you wanting for more sometimes and surprises you with it's quickness also.

Please check the mounting of your rear suspension. Is it upside down? Not sure how effective the reservoir is, but I feel it would work best right side up.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
Old 29th May 2013, 01:41   #6
BHPian

You're a really lucky guy AyAn! I've been trying really to find a reasonably priced RX in good condition here in Bangalore. Its nearly impossible :\
Old 29th May 2013, 12:00   #7
BANNED

Strip the engine sounds more like requires rebore and crank job along with carb tuning, get the proper rebore job done and install the new crank as reworked cranks are waste of time, new cylinder kits are available at showroom, pick and keep it as stock.
Small TLC work and you'll be ready for the 2 stroke adrenal rush.
Get her the stock looks as the alloy n all are good for Pulsars not for the legendary RX.
There are many ways to go faster but you need to touch the engine, 1-1.5 mm lifting the exhaust port will help you revving the bike freely, bigger main and pilot jets if not the carb, better ignition system, weight reduction, chamber etc, the list is endless.
I had the ported RXZ which use to show dirt to RD's and tops at true 140, Big bore 165 CC RXZ again a high revving killer bike along with one stock RXZ, but in process of moving to bigger bike gave way to them.
Do a good mod you'll enjoy this small pocket rocket that's for sure.
Old 27th June 2014, 09:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yamaha RX100: Removing the 'sissy bar'

I have seen a lot of RX 100s without the sissy bar, the sissy bar also acts as a mounting point for the indicators.

If you have this mod, I request you to share the pics/ detailed drawings of the bracket. Let other RX owners get to cherrypick the best designs and use it on their bikes rather than relying on their mech building them one.

Pramod

Last edited by GTO : 27th June 2014 at 16:31. Reason: Typo
Old 27th June 2014, 09:33   #9
BHPian

re: Yamaha RX100: Removing the 'sissy bar'

Noob question . What is a sissy bar ? Why is it called like that ?
Old 27th June 2014, 10:00   #10
BHPian

The rear backrest for the pillion or rider is called the sissy bar.

Origin

There are many theories on its origin.

Some suggest that the name alludes to its purpose of stopping the "sissy" from flying off the bike when the rider accelerated hard.

Others claim that real bikers don't use them and one would be a "sissy" to use them.

Last edited by batterylow : 27th June 2014 at 10:12. Reason: Adding information
batterylow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 12:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I have seen a lot of RX 100s without the sissy bar, the sissy bar also acts as a mounting point for the indicators, if you have this mod, i request you to share the pics/ detailed draings of the bracket. Let other RX owners get to cherrypick the best designs and use it on their bikes rather than relying on their mech building them one.

Pramod
I had a RX between 1990 and 1994 in my college days. I had removed the grab rail too.

The bajaj M 80 tail light bracket is welded or screwed on to the rear mudguard. The indicators fit on that.

Very easy , very cheap and looks perfect too.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th June 2014 at 13:22. Reason: Embedding image. Please use our image upload feature in the future. See details in the announcements section. Thanks.
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 16:44   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

With the experience of doing various cosmetic and mechanical mods on my RX, I would suggest that you rather rebuild the engine completely if you want to do any mods to make it go any faster. Or else just leave it the way it is.

I say so because, any external performance mods would just add up to the stress on the engine and components would start failing quickly as they are already weak and not working at optimum performance levels.

Finally, I would suggest before doing any performance mods in the future it would be a better idea to improve the brakes on the bike, as I had ported my bike and was still on the drum brake setup and while I was accelerating a Skoda Octavia suddenly decided to come and brake in front of me and almost rear ended into him.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks