Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2013, 17:25   #1
BHPian

My KTM Duke 200 - Ownership Review

Statutory Warning :- This is a very long post.

My story begins in Feb end of this year. My Pulsar had a major heart attack and I was traveling daily on my RX135. I was near damn tired of that bike. I decided that, with my girlfriend now learnt riding and soon needing to buy a bike for her daily travels, we would buy the bike now and before she would need it daily I would get mine fixed. We decided a budget and short-listed these 4

Hero Impulse - Low powered, by the looks sturdy and lightish. Handles bumps very well.

Bajaj Pulsar 200NS - Decently powered, again looks sturdy but heavyish same weight as my 220(which was a little on the heavier side for her).

Yamaha R15 - Low powered(easier to control), very delicate(due to fairing) and light. Impeccable reliability.

KTM Duke 200 - Decently powered, she loved the looks, quite light. Good city ride.

I too liked the duke alot, but I felt that due to the power to weight ratio she might not be able to handle it easily. But we decided to go ahead with this plan.

So in end of may went to KTM Mumbai East and got all details.
On Road Cost = 148800
Down payment = 54300
EMI For 1 Year = 9275
For 2 Years = 5108
For 3 Years = 3719

Loved the White + Orange alot but had seen it on the road. The Black + White on the other hand was quite rare, so we decided on that. We got a list of all the papers and decided to get back soon. I needed to get the down payment ready and that would take some time. In a few days or so got it ready but then due to some personal problems, used up the money. Gave them a call and told them that I would not be able to get the duke.

The daily ride on the RX was getting very tiresome and weary. It was also a gas guzzler, but then I did not have anyother option. I had ordered for another piston for the pulsar, but that was taking longer than expected. My cousin who had gone to Muscut(me and him got the RX together, he for a month of daily rides after selling his 1982 Enfield and me just because I wanted a local bike) he told he would be needing the bike till he is in town. I now was in an predicament. My daily ride was around 50 kms and hours involved were either I went to work at a hour when public transport wasn't an option or returning wasn't. So I got to find a way to get my pulsar back on track. It was again not to happen.

My brother returned and I gave him the RX. Gave a call to my friend and he lent his Karizma to me for a few days as he was heading out for that time. I meanwhile talked to another friend and he was going for his honeymoon for a month and he agreed to lend me his R15 v1 for that time. I had a ride for another month and had to get my bike back to running condition till then.

A few days with the R15 and I was liking it alot. I had always known its capabilities and ridden it also for sometime but never for this long(after 1 week of having it with me). The bike even though was nearly 3 years old and run 30k+ kms it was extremely smooth, much more than my earlier daily rides, the RX and also the Pulsar. It was returning a very decent mileage of 40 kmpl. I was really happy with the R15. I daily use to cruise at 80-100 kmph and even after that the R15 returned a decent milage, good comfort and contenting power.

During this time the new Ninja was launched and I was really excited about it. Wanted to get it, could afford it (if I was earning double of what I am earning ), but it just wasn't a practical daily ride for me. So I decided to go ahead and get the R15 V2, ridden the V1 now almost for a month I was completely satisfied with the decision.

I expected the bike cost to be around 1.25 and down payment around 30-35 which would not be that hard for me(but the duke's 50k was, as its hard for me to have money on my hands). I called up the guy who I had booked my R15 with earlier(yes I had, on the day the V2 was launched) and asked him about details.

1.3L On Road but waiting period of over a month. I was not interested in waiting and even subtly suggested that I would not mind paying a little extra for a immediate delivery for ANY color. I was settling, never had thought of doing it but I was. I then tried to contact Yamaha Factory Shop in Malad, but I was informed it had closed down. I then contacted Kamla Yamaha who was far from my home but I had dealt with them before (for sourcing the mono shock for my Pulsar) and I was very happy with whatever little interaction with them. I called and got the details.

1.29L On Road
43300 Down Payment

I was satisfied with this. I went ahead and gave them my papers and a cash booking amount of 5k and they started the loan process. I was waiting for the loan process to finish and almost everyday as I slept, or wokeup or rode to/fro work, I just kept on thinking, with just 10k more as DP and barely some more in EMI I can get the duke, but then that meant, 10k more innitially and 500 more per month for 3 years and a lower milage, so I kept explainging to myself, "Think about it practically, right now you need a practical bike, you have your Pulsar for the fun." This was my daily though but it soon faded into the practicality of my situation - No working condition bike, can't use a 240 bhp vRS as a daily drive in this kind of traffic, using someone else's bike, being miserable everyday. I was then happy with my settlement.

They first started with some local bank. We currently have 2 homes which are in 2 connecting buildings in the same society. We have shifted to the 2nd home as its a 2 bhk instead of the 1 bhp, my complete documentation is from the earlier home. So when the guy came to check, I was at work and due to the house being closed he put in a remark as I don't stay at the address provided. I came to know this only a few days later. The salesman then turned my papers in with HDFC bank. I had expected the bike to be with me by the 8th-9th of May and the papers were sent to HDFC on 8th. I was told that someone would come for verification ASAP. The weekend passed and no one came, I called up on monday and the salesman said he would call the HDFC guy. He called me back saying that the papers have been logged in and a verification guy should be in by the same day or the next day max. I waited Monday and Tuesday. Then on Wednesday I called back and got the number for the HDFC guy.

I called him up and he said he would call me back in 5 mins, he did. I talked to him and told him my situation. I told that I have the keys and can open the house for the verification guy and the house is perfectly furnished but I don't currently stay there. Then he said the most absurd thing I could think of, actually not just a think, but the following conversation after that point was utterly illogical. I will try to quote as much of his actual sentences as I can remember. I will be ME and he has HG = HDFC Guy

Me - I can arrange or open the house myself, its fully furnished.
HG - That's not a big problem sir, that I can handle. Do you live with your parents and is your name in the same ration card as theirs?
Me - Yes, I live with my mother and I and her name are on the same card, but its on our older address.
HG - Again sir, no problem, we will just need your mother as your guarantor.
Me - Why? Is it because of the house situation?(Both the houses are in her name)
HG - No, its because your under-aged to get a loan from HDFC for the R15.
Me - What? I am not under 21. I have turned 21 this January.
HG - For any other bike, it would be 21, but for the R15 its 25.
Me - That really doesn't make any sense. Are you completely sure? And if so, could you tell me the reason for it?
HG - Yes sir, its company policy.
Me - Ok, what if I go for a Pulsar 150?(Thinking its 150cc)
HG - No need, as its barely 70-75k
Me - Ok, so if I go for a Pulsar 200NS?(Thinking its got more cc + is at the 1L mark)
HG - No, its around 98k
Me - What about the Duke 200 then?(More power, more cc and more price, this has to also have that clause then, which I already knew didn't exist)
HG - No, its not, its not for ANY OTHER bike except the Yamaha R15.
Me - Now I guess you really are trying to make a fool out of me, because this is completely impossible. I want to know the reason for this rule.
HG - Sir, this is company policy and I dont know why it exists.
Me - Ok, ask your senior and if he doesn't know, then ask his, and keep asking till I get my answer. I will but provide the documents you will need from my mom. You can send a guy today as she is home for them.
HG - Sorry sir, I wont be sending anyone, come and drop in the docs at the Dealership, I'll ask them to send them to me. She will also need to sign some docs there.
Me - I live in andheri and the dealership is in Lower Parel.
HG - Sorry, cant help it.
Me - So I am suppose to ride down to lower parel, get the docs, come back home, get them signed and then come back to lower parel and give the docs to the dealer, who will then send you the docs, while you sit in your office?
HG - Well, yes. Why dont you bring your mother to the Dealer to get everything done then?
Me - Thank you for your great help, I will give you a call back if and when I might need your help.

I then called the sales man and told him about the insane conversation I had with the HDFC guy and how I was upset about him basicly lying to me. I then said, let me get a loan done on my own.
After that I called another HDFC guy who I had spoken to for a loan for the Duke. I called and asked if what the other guy said was true, he said no. I insisted to ask his seniors and get back. He called me back saying that there is no such rule and there is no loan in process in my name, I told him that I was told that my papers were already logged in. He then told me to just get the papers back from that guy and he would send a guy to my home for collecting all the needed papers and he would start the loan process from his side, he would also get me a lower rate of interest.

I agreed and proceeded to call the salesman and asked him to return my papers and that I would get the loan on my own. After that I went off to work and when I returned home I started to dig about for loans. I found out that I was taking a loan for around 85k and at the end of the term(36 months) I would pay an interest of around 50k. Which seemed extremely high for me. After this I talked to my mom and we searched the net high and low for better loans options and after 2 days of searching, we finalized with Standard Chartered for a loan amount of 1.25L at a 18.5% ROI on reducing Capital, which meant at the end of term (24 months) I would pay 23k interest, where as with HDFC I was going to pay 38k(24 months).

I submitted the papers on 16th May. I was told I would receive a DD/Cheque or NEFT Transfer by Saturday max. I gave a call to the sales man and repeated this to him and told I would need the bike by the following Thursday. He said he would need a total of 7 days for Registration and Delivery if given a Cheque and 4 days if given a DD. I said ok and that I would give a DD on Saturday or Monday max. My friend who had given me his R15 also returned from his honeymoon and I returned his R15 to him. I then gave a call to another friend and borrowed his Discover(4 gears).

Saturday came and went and the Money didn't arrive. I gave a call on Monday asking why did it become so late and he said that it took time as the weekend came and the money should be with me by same day or next max. I then gave the sales man another call stating the new situation and told that I would still need the bike on Thursday even if it wasn't registered. Then came Tuesday and another call to the Standard Chartered guy who said the loan's been approved and the money should come in by the same say or the next max.

The next day came, i was really tired and not able to think much. My innitial plan was to get the R15 as quick as possible, I took the White and Red color because it was available, even though I loved the White and Blue. I had waited nearly 1 month after booking the bike and week after week my bike was delayed. I check my account again and the money hadn't come.

I gave a call to the Standard Chartered guy again. He told me that the money had been sent and that it should have reached me. He told it was a NEFT transfer. The time was 12:37 and I decided to wait till 13:15, as sometimes NEFT transfer can take 1 working day, upto 13:00 the next day. I waited till 13:15, then gave a call to my bank who said that they couldn't see any waiting transaction and if there was one I could get a reference number from the sending party and track it myself or they would do it for me. I again gave a call to the guy, who said that he didn't have the number and a different department would have it, he also tried to insist that it takes 2 days, I told him too that I am not a guy who just says something without knowing, and I know for a fact that it does not. He said that he would get the tracking number and give me a call by evening. I knew that it wasn't going to happen the same day, so I just gave up and decided to head to office. I ate and left by 3 pm.
The discover I was riding wasn't in great condition, leave great, it was barely in riding condition.

The speedo would show 70 kmph and I would be at 40. The front brake didn't work. The rear one didn't work much and when it did, it would lock the rear as the tyre was bald. The bike when at 60 kmph (on speedo) the handles would shake. I was in all sense just unhappy. After I left from home nearly 1 km out on the road, the bike just stopped, just wouldn't start. I gave a call to my mech who said who would come in 5-10 mins as he was working on an open engine. I was standing in the sun at nearly 35 degrees, sweating just thinking one thing - Why? Why? Why am I here? Why? I was just trying to be hopeful, thinking to myself that maybe its for the good, maybe I'm suppose to get late, I'll get a call from mom that the money has arrived, then I was thinking that maybe its just fate's cruel way of saying I have to wait more. That was when I was at my lowest. My mech came, we opened the carb cleaned it a little and fit it back. The bike started. We then started discussing about my 2 Projector 2 High Beam setup for the R15.

While I was talking to him I remembered - I did not consider a 2nd hand bike as there were no loans for used bikes. I did not take a bike loan, but a personal loan, so it does not matter what it is used for, new or used. That's why it struck me, maybe I was being held back for this right here. I immediately asked him to call the Duke guy(this was an opportunity I had missed a month ago because of the loan thing). I told him only 2 things, that I would give the complete amount as a cheque or DD, meaning white and I would not pay a rupee over 1L, also I would like to see the bike the next day and if I liked it I would get him the money by the week's end. He said, lets see because the guy has been quoting 1.2L but has come as low as 1.15L. He called the guy and was speaking to him and that's when I got a call, from my mom. I was not thinking straight or I would have guessed, I answered and she said that the Cheque has arrived, I said ok, but why are you telling me? She said that its from Standard Chartered and that they hadn't done a NEFT Transfer but sent a cheque.

I said ok and cut the phone hurriedly. I then spoke to the Duke guy and I told him of my 2 conditions and he said that he wouldn't mind. I also told him that if I liked the bike, I will pay him the complete sum right then and there. We agreed to meet at 12:00 the next day, i.e. Thursday, i.e. the day I had set in my mind as the final day I would get the bike, if not that day, then I would just give up.

After I again left for work, I started to think about how fate played it's tricky hand on me. Right from the beginning. If I would have bought the Duke in march I would have paid nearly 50k extra(I prefer used for the VFM factor). If the initial loan would have been processed I would have had the R15 nearly 2 weeks ago. If the HDFC guy had not lied to me then I would have paid a huge interest to them for the R15. If my friend had returned a week later I would have been using his R15 and once he loan would have been approved I would have gotten the R15. If the discover I was riding would have been in good condition I wouldn't have called up my mech to help me. If it wouldn't have been so hot I wouldn't have been thinking about my situation so much.
But all that did happen and I was in a completely unforeseen circumstance.

I did not know what to expect, I just knew that I had to check the bike completely and properly. I was truly happy when going to work, I was happy after a long long time, to be precise, after 1 year and 2 months(23rd March 2012). I guess most of us here know the wait, the final countdown for the delivery of your prized possession is how hard and how irritating and how exciting and how energizing. I just waited to come back home. Told my gf and mom about this and both were complete against it, but because I do have an eye for finding bargain deals, they said ok, but to NOT settle for a used bike, if I were to buy this, then I should be happy with everything.

The next day was very short till 12 pm. He came, I saw, I liked and I bought. That was it. The bike was and is in pristine condition. Run 8654 kms when I bought it. Serviced on 11th May 2013 at 8411 kms.

My KTM Duke 200 - Ownership Review-d2.jpg

Click 10 mins after buying the bike.

This here is an ownership review from the 23rd of May to 1st of June.
Some details of the bike.

End November 2012 Model, White + Black color.

Done 8654 kms when bought, last service at 8411 kms. Currently clocked 9154 kms.

Bought with all original accessories, but 2 of them removed by previous owner - Saree Guard + Mudguard and Front Mirrors. Mirrors reinstalled.
Bike nearly scratchless, no major scratch or dent. Only minor scratches due to improper washing. Bike looks brand new, can not be distinguished as a 6 month old among young 1 month old bike.

Bike running completely stock, as of now, except number plate which are not of my liking.

Soon to change - Headlamps, Number plates, rear sprocket. Maybe Clutch and Brake levers.

I have run the bike for 500 kms now. I have ridden it in dense traffic and on open highways. I have ridden it in the wee early hours of the day to the sleepy late nights. I have ridden the bike in a very calm and economical sense and in the Hooliganistic way it was made it be. The following review is just my personal opinion and will compare my Pulsar, my RX135 4 speed and a R15.

For the first 6 kms I did not ride the bike in any fast way. Just easy and calm. I was just starting to get use to the bike. I got comfortable with the RX in around 2 weeks of daily travels. For the R15, it took 3-4 days for relaxed riding and around 1 week for completely being adjusted to it. But the Duke? Just 10 kms. I mean I was completely settled into the bike withing that time. I live in Marol and Sangam Big Cinemas is about 3 kms from my home. On Friday morn I went for FF6 and while going I was just having final adjustments to the bike and while returning back I was siting just right. I was use to the extremely short clutch and gearing.

After that I have used the bike for my daily travels office in CrossRoads, Haji Ali. So thats around 22 kms of congested traffic and open highway. I have till date clock around 125-130, dont know dont care. But yes the bike is extremely short geared for me. My pulsar use to do 65 kmph at 4k rpm in the 5th gear and this does around 55-60 kmph at 4k rpm in 6th gear. Will definately go for a smaller rear sprocket, maybe a 40T from Karizma or 38T from the P200.

The bike:-

There are many many reviews of this bike and I guess I will say the same things. It is quite light(not that much than my Pulsar), but it feels much much more agile than any other bike out there. The reason is very simple. You sit nice and low, but high enough for you to be comfortable. It has really good power low down and in the top end(the mid lacks, IMO). It is light. It has a very aggressive gearbox whose ratios are set very near to each other. Like in most shifts you lose around 500 revs, perfect for normal city riding and drag racing. All these 3 things mixed together - Seating, Power, Low Weight and Short Gear - mean just 1 thing. It feels like a really fun bike. It might be lacking in sheer numbers from its competitors in Acceleration and Top speed, but I can say 1 thing for sure, none of them are this fun.

Engine:-

Its very refined, smooth and torquey. Its a decently powered engine with a not so linear powerband. Its got good power low down and really opens up in the top end, but the mid range leaves alot to be desired, especially 4-6k rpm. Between 4-5k there is almost no power whatsoever. It also doesn't have the kind of power that satisfies me. I was use to - Shift down a max of 2 gears and leave everyone behind me. Here it really doesn't happen that quick and not at all speeds. It does have alot of potential though. Will be upgrading this one too, but not in any major way. Just a better inhale and exhale system and upgradation to its brain to suit might just be enough.

The engine heats up quite a bit, contrary to popular belief, it does not overheat, but that is actually the temp it runs at. After just sometime in traffic the heats gets quite alot and you start to get uncomfortable. The Radiator though shuts itself off once you turn off the engine irrespective of engine temp, unlike the R15.

Gearbox:-

Really smooth, not as smooth as the R15 though. Will be shifting to Full Synthetic oil soon. Will update then. On the R15 I could shift to Neutral even while the engine was running. I can even in this, but there are times when I need to rock the bike front and back to make it happen. The gears feel like a well designed for 1 purpose. Fun Riding. Well if you want to do that, then its perfect. If not then a change of the rear sprocket will change that. It will become a calm and cool highway rider with the capability to overtake with fair ease.

Suspension:-

I have really loved this. The bike feels alot more planted than my Pulsar and feels softer than the R15. This bike just absorbs so many bumps. Many which I was use to and I even today take a second look if the government has filled it or has the bike taken its toll on itself, leaving me siting comfortably. I am completely dumbfounded as to how is it that the bike can handle these bumps and feel alot more planted in the craziest leans I can throw at it. I really cant compare it directly but I really do think its better than my Pulsar (Running a painstakingly done up rear Mono-Shock and running 110/70 and 140/70 Pirelli Sport Demon tyres). I will compare once I get my bike running again. I now know why KTM want WP just for themselves. Good for them and for people like me who have their product.

Tyres:-

I am content with them. They are ok, nothing great. They CAN'T handle the power of the bike, I have accidentally drifted the bike quite a few times, even when the roads were clean of any dirt and dry which was completely impossible in my Pulsar, even though it run much more power and alot more aggressive acceleration. I do like the drifting and wont change the tyres yet. Will be practicing drifting a little more(can't in my car, so bike will do).
The rear locks up quite easily under braking, have to be very careful of that.

Brakes:-

The front brake is really amazing, maybe even at par with the Ninja 250r. The rear lets things to be desired or maybe its the tyre which lets down.

Electrics:-

The bike is extremely electronic and I like it. The MID is very useful, especially the RPM shift light. I have set the lower one at 3k rpm and higher one at 9.5k. The best part of the MID is I look at it and either try to get a really good FE or a really good Average Speed.
The lights are really nice wont be going in for a projector setup, but HID is definitely coming in.

Practicality:-

This is something I was looking for when getting a new bike. Is this a Mind purchase or a Heart?

I am happy to say both. It is quite practical when need be and has its fun side always available. I have gotten a FE of 36.34 kmpl for my first tank full and once on one particular ride, the MID showed a FE of 48 kmpl.
My KTM Duke 200 - Ownership Review-20130526_012405.jpg

Pros:-
1 - Light.
2 - Powerful.
3 - Good Brakes.
4 - Really Fun.
5 - Practical too.
6 - Nice to look at.

Cons:-
1 - Tyres
2 - Short Gear

Here are a few pics of the bike. Will be updating the thread with more insights on the bike.

My KTM Duke 200 - Ownership Review-dsc_0017u.jpg

My KTM Duke 200 - Ownership Review-dsc_0021u.jpg

My KTM Duke 200 - Ownership Review-dsc_0036u.jpg

My KTM Duke 200 - Ownership Review-dsc_0042u.jpg

My KTM Duke 200 - Ownership Review-dsc_0051u.jpg

My KTM Duke 200 - Ownership Review-dsc_0062u.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 3rd June 2013 at 13:37. Reason: Adding your review post to the opening post itself
abhayshanu is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 18:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: My KTM Duke 200 - Ownership Review

Congrats @abhayshanu.

But, what exactly went wrong with your modded P220. P220 was the best from Bajaj's stable till P200 was launched. I believe you were the one posting about modding P220 with Joel's kit & participating in drag races (& even wining quite a few).

... &, I must say that dealing with HDFC could be the worst, if the Nationalised banks are not considered, I have multiple accounts in HDFC & Citibank & can confirm that its a pleasure dealing with Citi & a headache in HDFC's case, despite my brother being a manager with the bank, having a PBs attached to my & family accounts in HDFC bank.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 1st June 2013 at 18:31.
Old 1st June 2013, 19:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thats one hell of a story behind you purchase decision. You have got a pretty good deal. Bike practically looks like new, and with just 8k kms it should feel like new too. Congrats and ride safe.
Old 1st June 2013, 19:38   #4
BHPian

Congratulations!
I started reading from "Hero Impulse" and after reading the entire post I scrolled up and just came across the 1st line (Statutory Warning :- This is a very long post.)

That was a sweet dilemma there choosing between two premium bikes available in the country today.
Ok I know we petrolheads can't resist the word "BHP" but here you moved from you 1BH(P)K house to 2BHK

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 02:45   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Congrats @abhayshanu.

But, what exactly went wrong with your modded P220. P220 was the best from Bajaj's stable till P200 was launched. I believe you were the one posting about modding P220 with Joel's kit & participating in drag races (& even wining quite a few).
I was running a custom flat top 71mm piston making the bike nearly 250cc(247) and due to the big size piston, the liner was very thin. I had really abused the engine for nearly 10k kms, ripping it like hell, even though it was running lean and I hadn't filled oil. The engine seized with a bang though. I was irritated of a few 220 guys just roaming around me, overtaking then slowing down just because I had my exhaust, so I just wrung my throttle and left them behind and at 150+ kmph my engine just died. When we opened the engine the next day, there was absolutely no oil and the liner broken. The High lift cam and the ported and polished head on the other hand are fine. Now getting a new, high compression piston made. And ordered a new custom exhaust from a friend, told him of my engine specs and he is making to that specs. Minor tinkering might follow if need be. My pulsar should be ready for the next drags and hoping to enter the 15.xx league(earlier clocking a best of 16.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Thats one hell of a story behind you purchase decision. You have got a pretty good deal. Bike practically looks like new, and with just 8k kms it should feel like new too. Congrats and ride safe.
Yup, the ups and downs were truly something not to be felt by anyone. The bike is just like new in everyway. Extremely well maintained. Even engine crevices were clean of dirt. The bike has actually become more dirt in the 1 week that its been with me than I got it from the previous owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Congratulations!
I started reading from "Hero Impulse" and after reading the entire post I scrolled up and just came across the 1st line (Statutory Warning :- This is a very long post.)

That was a sweet dilemma there choosing between two premium bikes available in the country today.
Ok I know we petrolheads can't resist the word "BHP" but here you moved from you 1BH(P)K house to 2BHK

-Bhargav
It was really not a dilemma, the VFM factor was the deciding factor and its even more as I am getting 35 kmpl and not 30 as I had expected.

Will create a ownership experience in a few hours and refine the photos and post in by morning.
Old 2nd June 2013, 11:55   #6
BHPian

Re: Ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
This here is an ownership review from the 23rd of May to 1st of June.
A very honest write up there unlike the "All-Duke-Praise" reviews I have read till date.
The color looks great; I liked it more than the snazzy orange. If I am not wrong then the front disc is even bigger than that on the Ninja250r.

Must say, you have maintained the bike quite well. Tip-Top. *Touch Wood*

-Bhargav
Old 2nd June 2013, 15:55   #7
BHPian

Nice review, actually very lengthy as you first mentioned. The color combo looks awesome, unlike the racer boyish Orange Black(no offense other duke-rs)

Immediately noticeable things are that this bike has been maintained extremely well. Moreover, it looks big and proportionate which I feel is missing in other colors.

Enjoy your ride,
Always wear a helmet.

PS: If I hadn't read the review and had simply gone through the pics, I'll have predicted you got a NEW bike. *thumbs up*
Old 3rd June 2013, 21:54   #8
BHPian

Re: My KTM Duke 200 - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Statutory Warning :- This is a very long post.

Pros:-
1 - Light.
2 - Powerful.
3 - Good Brakes.
4 - Really Fun.
5 - Practical too.
6 - Nice to look at.

Cons:-
1 - Tyres
2 - Short Gear

Here are a few pics of the bike. Will be updating the thread with more insights on the bike.
Congratulations with your new bike.

How is the seating comfort? I have heard that the rider as well as pillion seats lack comfort and it needed an extra padding of cushion to be done for comfortable long rides.

Drive safe.

Cheers
Old 4th June 2013, 05:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
A very honest write up there unlike the "All-Duke-Praise" reviews I have read till date.
The color looks great; I liked it more than the snazzy orange. If I am not wrong then the front disc is even bigger than that on the Ninja250r.

Must say, you have maintained the bike quite well. Tip-Top. *Touch Wood*

-Bhargav
I believe in honest write ups. The Orange+Black is ok, it was always ok, never something to really ogle at, this color on the other hand makes the bike look much better. It really accentuates the body lines too.
Also I have not maintained the bike well, the previous owner did. I hope I can maintain half as well, but I dont think that will be easy with Off-Roading plans in the pipeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenttismo View Post
Nice review, actually very lengthy as you first mentioned. The color combo looks awesome.

Enjoy your ride,
Always wear a helmet.

PS: If I hadn't read the review and had simply gone through the pics, I'll have predicted you got a NEW bike. *thumbs up*
Thanks. I always do, most of the times I even wear my Jacket + Gloves too.
My reason to buy this one was because it was well maintained and the guy agreed to sell for low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Congratulations with your new bike.

How is the seating comfort? I have heard that the rider as well as pillion seats lack comfort and it needed an extra padding of cushion to be done for comfortable long rides.

Drive safe.

Cheers

Well honestly, that is something I forgot to mention here. The seats are the worst. My rear aches even in a short half an hour ride. Will be doing something about it soon. For the pillion, the seat can be made softer but not bigger. If you have a guy siting behind you, he will be uncomfortably near to you(so as to have max rear on the seat). Girls on the other hand will have a better time, but not that good.

On an other note. The MID is a Auto-Lit unit. I was trying to decipher it since I got the bike and now I'm sure of it. A really nice and intelligent unit. Never faced an issue of readability. 1 more + for the Duke's Console.
abhayshanu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 12:57   #10
BHPian

Update

Changed my Sprocket from stock 43T to 39T.

Earlier
6th Gear at 3k RPM - 40kmph
6th Gear at 4k RPM - 50kmph

Now
6th Gear at 3k RPM - 45kmph
6th Gear at 4k RPM - 60kmph

This is much better for daily riding and will yield a better top end. The chain and sprocket aren't a complete match, so will change that soon. Using Pulsar 180 UG4 Sprocket and Karizma Chain. Will change to the Pulsar chain.

My KTM Duke 200 - Ownership Review-20130605_123822-copy.jpg

I also removed the rear grab rails.

Last edited by abhayshanu : 5th June 2013 at 13:01.
abhayshanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 13:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Abhay first of all congratulations on your new Duke. She really looks pristine and for just a lac that is one really sweet deal you got there.

What is the mis-match between the Pulsar sprocket and the Karizma chain? Afaik, the pitch is the same for both.

Did you do a top speed run with the original KTM 43 tooth sprocket?

You could probably PM me the top speed you are hitting now, if its against the open forum policy here (@mods). I am really interested in knowing.

How is the acceleration through the gears? How badly is it hit? Again, did you ride the bike enough with the original sprocket to really appreciate the difference?

How does she take off in 1st or climb a really steep slope?

I know the Duke 200 has a powerful motor, but I do have some doubts as to goings down from 43 to 39 without losing something significantly.

Incidentally theoretically (pure calculations based on ready-made formulae) each tooth less on the rear sprocket (provided of course the bike can rev out with the new gearing) equates to an additional 3-4 kmph at the top end.

So you should theoretically at least be able to touch about 150 kmph - assuming yours is the new lot with top speed limited to 134 kmph in stock form.
Old 5th June 2013, 17:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
What is the mis-match between the Pulsar sprocket and the Karizma chain? Afaik, the pitch is the same for both.
Well even though the pitch is the same. The Pulsar sprocket is made for a different chain and the Karizma has a different chain.

Quote:
Did you do a top speed run with the original KTM 43 tooth sprocket?
I have not a 6th gear 10.5k run, but I have clocked 130 kmph and it was very near to the redline.

Quote:
You could probably PM me the top speed you are hitting now, if its against the open forum policy here (@mods). I am really interested in knowing.
I have not tried any top speeds yet. Will try them when I get a proper place to test. I normally ride in sane speeds and my reason for getting a smaller sprocket is the same. My daily ride is at 80 kmph and that use to be at around 7-7.5k rpm, a tad too high for me. I wanted it to be in the range of 5.5-6k.
Also AFAIK, the rules say to not post/brag about street/illegal racing.

Quote:
How is the acceleration through the gears? How badly is it hit? Again, did you ride the bike enough with the original sprocket to really appreciate the difference?
The acceleration has taken a hit, but not as much you would think. It is not that much noticeable. Yes, I use to climb my building's hill in 3rd gear and now the bike feels more comfortable in 2nd, FEELS like it will knock in 3rd so I use 2nd not that it needs the 2nd gear.

Quote:
How does she take off in 1st or climb a really steep slope?
That has taken none to negligible difference. The bike now actually feels more stable than its earlier jumpy self.

Quote:
I know the Duke 200 has a powerful motor, but I do have some doubts as to goings down from 43 to 39 without losing something significantly.
Well, as I said, it is not very much noticeable. I will be heading to work now and will be able to write up a more comprehensive report tonight.

Quote:
Incidentally theoretically (pure calculations based on ready-made formulae) each tooth less on the rear sprocket (provided of course the bike can rev out with the new gearing) equates to an additional 3-4 kmph at the top end.

So you should theoretically at least be able to touch about 150 kmph - assuming yours is the new lot with top speed limited to 134 kmph in stock form.
The top speed of stock was around that, and theory cant equate to reality because of my body weight - 85 kgs. My Pulsar use to do 150 with ease, but I dont know how much will the duke do.
Old 6th June 2013, 12:43   #13
BHPian

Update

I rode the bike yesterday and I can say 2 things. The bike is no more Fun, but is much more practical. I need to downshift in my usual riding speeds for overtaking where I never had to earlier. It is not because of a smaller sprocket, but because now my usual riding speeds come at the RPM range where there is no power whatsoever. I use to ride at 70-80 kmph and sometimes go upto 90 kmph on straight highway roads. Yesterday I was riding comfortably at 90 kmph without any stress to the engine. I did a top speed run too and I wasn't disappointed. The top speed has increased but the bike will need either more road or more power or a fairing to reach that speed. I am happy with my 90-100 kmph relaxed riding.

I had earlier marked my highest FE. I was riding mostly at 50-60 kmph never above. This time I rode at 80-90 kmph and had a top speed run.
The difference?

Earlier
Fuel Efficiency - 48 kmpl or 2.0L/100km
Average Speed - 45 kmph

Now
Fuel Efficiency - 43 kmpl or 2.3L/100km
Average Speed - 55 kmpl.

Now I'm sure if I would have ridden more sanely I would have gotten a better mileage, but I am happy with 40 kmpl in my night trips and 35 kmpl in my day trips.

If there is anyone who is looking to add practicality or is looking for a more relaxed engine for long highway rides, I would suggest this change. A 40T should also work perfectly fine.

My KTM Duke 200 - Ownership Review-20130606_015055.jpg

Last edited by abhayshanu : 6th June 2013 at 12:45.
Old 6th June 2013, 13:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like you are lugging your engine to be honest. I am a little surprised as to why someone who use to ride a Pulsar and an RX135 and who has now bought a Duke, would want to so drastically neuter the bike?

Golden rule of sprocketing - go down or up one tooth at a time. The 200 is a small motor. With very limited torque. Its not going to pull anything and everything you throw at it.

It will run, but it will not run like a Duke should.
Old 11th June 2013, 14:27   #15
BHPian

Nice ride. Looks way sweeter in white than in orange. Slightly off topic, but why is your check engine light on in all your pics?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks