Team-BHP - Would a 700 cc fuel-injected Royal Enfield sell in India?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Would a 700 cc fuel-injected Royal Enfield sell in India? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/137515-would-700-cc-fuel-injected-royal-enfield-sell-india.html)

For some time on the American Royal Enfield website the members have discussed the possibility of a new, larger Royal Enfield twin from India.
Rumor, and it is just rumor is that something might be under development but no one knows for sure and if anyone does, their not talking.

In discussing a larger Royal Enfield, the engine type is a leading subject on the forum with many guesses about what it could be.

There are several V Twins that have been built by private individuals using slightly modified existing cylinders and heads so obviously this type could be made. It also wouldn't be the first. Royal Enfield made V Twins back in the 1930's.

A more popular design in the discussion would use a modernized parallel twin similar to the original Royal Enfield Interceptor that was made in the 1960's and 1970. Perhaps a 700cc or larger? The originals were 750's beating out both BSA and Triumph in engine size back then.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...ld+interceptor

This brings up the obvious question.
If Royal Enfield did make a new 700+ cc fuel injected Interceptor would there be a market for it in India?

Would it be: Too thursty? Too large and heavy? Too expensive? Too fast?

Would the Indian people buy such a Indian made twin cylinder motorcycle if it was made?

Wow!!!
Wish whatever rumours are going around turns out to be true.
Well; if RE launches a higher capacity engine in India, I believe people would love to possess it.
One thing is sure, a bike from RE has got to be rightly priced (somewhere between $5-5.5k or INR 2.5-3 lakhs). More over being an Enfield we have a lot more ASS and reasonably priced spares as compared to HD.
So as the cost of ownership would be less, any new offering above 500cc should get enough takers.

Hope seniors would agree with me here!!

Yet another poor quality, poor powered and over priced product from Royal Enfield?
I wouldn't buy but many bitten by the TASHAN bug will!

Sure it will sell like hot cakes.The current demand for enfields cement's the ever growing demand for RE.Yes the quality is not up to the mark but the charisma and feel RE provides have no competition in that price bracket.Simply absolute pleasure for those who love's torquey motor that's what RE provides the owners and the retro feel of course.Royal Enfield is never about power.OHV engines are build for torque like harley they never advertises horsepower .They always advertises torque as they have it in plenty.RE is not about high speed riding.Its about enjoying sedate riding.If you are looking for speed and refinement its better to look else were.

RE has never been about driving fast. And we all know about that it is not the most reliable thing going around. However the aura around it is simply huge. People (including me) simply are in love with the "Bullet". Count me in for a bigger engine.

I saw a few Classic models when I saw in Sydney being drive by non- Indians, so I believe it has a following overseas as well. I know a few foreigners who frequent my office who go ga-ga over the same!

Only wish - they get the old thump back.

P.S. : I own a Classic 500 (2011) and a Standard 350 (Carb - 1982).

The upcoming RE Cafe racer is coming reputedly with around 38-39ps of power from the 535cc engine. Also a reported weight reduction of around 15kgs making it about 170kgs odd.
Considering the power to weight of the cafe racer it fares well atleast on paper with any 250/300cc offering from Kawasaki or Honda. It may not be an old school thumper anymore, but then the world is not living in the 1940s today, so new thrust from RE is more than welcome.
I believe RE is working on a parallel twin concept for a while, and the next offering after the cafe racer might well be the bullet parallel twin :)

I don't see why not. We are lapping nearly century old products from RE, even that would fit the retro tag.

Not only RE.Harley,victory,Indian all these brand's uses the same 1940's technology with added modifications like RE did with the UCE engine.hydraulic tapplets,better cooling,fuel injection etc correct me if I am wrong.only difference as per me is all other biggies offer twin cylinder engines with massive displacement to cover the lack of horsepower with much added torque.RE still gives singles in affordable rates in retro package.if RE as a brand was with any other big group then with the heritage RE posses we can't even dream the legendary model in this price tag ,of course with much needed quality.Pushrod engines are what RE is all about.same goes to Harley and Indian they offers the same in much more developed package and bigger price tag.Harley lauched V-Rod which was a change from harley traditions.engine is a 2 cylinder DOHC 8 valve which Harley hardcore fan's never called a true harley it never was.The name gets some characteristics from history. RE too have some characteristics which makes it a true RE.If they loose those characteristics then RE is just a name .same goes to all legendary makers.Those characteristics makes the legendary motorcycle a true legend

As the old saying goes, lay the foundation right and later worry about building the 3rd floor. Forget a 700 twin- the moment RE irons out all the niggles on the Classic 500 and makes them about as reliable as a Honda, I'll buy one in a heartbeat. The C5, IMHO, is the most beautiful Indian-made motorcycle- if not ever. Sure, most of the niggles are ironed out- but when one is paying CBR250 kind of money, I think it's kind of fair to expect a premium ownership experience.

In my point of view, heritage is cool, but that shouldn't mean technology and innovation should be sacrificed at its altar- just for the sake of maintaining purity or being retro.
Take for example the Porsche 911- engine at the rear behind the wheels- not the best design choice for a sports car, right? Porsche couldn't change that design- fans would consider that a sacrilege and moan about the 911 losing its classic layout. Porsche didn't sit complacently for decades, didn't it? It tweaked and tweaked and perfected the 911- the 911 GT3 RS being a great epitome of that.
What about Triumph? The Bonnie is a classic retro looking bike, but aren't the mechanicals are thoroughly modern and comparable in reliability to the Japanese bikes?

Both the 911 and the Bonneville aren't cheap- but one can at least justify the premium considering the innovations and tech they offer besides the heritage. So, it makes me sad that RE, which charges for its bikes more than any of the Indian manufacturers can't even match the core reliability of even a lowly Hero Honda. Complacency rules among Indian auto makes- RE isn't alone- look at HM, Premier and Tata (at present). Compared to the last three makers, RE is better of the lot- at least they are trying to improve (by adding fuel injection to the C5) but they really need to speed up the process.

Forgive my OT rants- I mean no offense meant to any RE owners/fans. I would personally love to see an Indian made 700 twin (a v-twin would have been cool- like the Musket; but parallel twins are more likely) on our roads. Irrespective of it being thirsty, heavy or too fast (no such thing as enough power, is it?)- it would sell quite well- even for such a niche product.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaJim (Post 3145580)
Would the Indian people buy such a Indian made twin cylinder motorcycle if it was made?

As with any market, cost and usability are 2 main criteria here as well:

Cost:

The Indian market is perhaps more price sensitive than most. However, Royal Enfield bikes, despite costing 3-4x than a regular commuter bike, still buck this trend owing to various unique aspects going for it - strong heritage, unique USP and no competition (currently).

A 700 cc single-cylinder offering, assuming even simple correlation, would have to cost atleast 50% more than the current flagship - the Thunderbird 500. Entry-level hatches are available at that target price range. A twin would definitely cost much more.

Usability:

Although typically overlooked for a premium offering in any category, a 700 cc RE would compulsorily be a highway vehicle and absolutely not a city vehicle. That would necessarily mean that this bike would only be a weekend vehicle.

Putting both these aspects together, I am sure the 700 cc bike would sell amongst the hardcore enthusiasts, but being targetted at an ultra-niche market, would most likely limit the sales potential of the bike.

RE has inherent advantages like, low cost production base, a strong brand and a cult fan following. The turnaround efforts of RE Leadership is taking traction now and a two cylinder engine is the next logical step for them. In terms of quality and reliability new bikes have improved a lot but in comparison they have quite distance to cover on these parameters. However, a two cylinder mill with a new frame and quality level with around Rs. 300k price point will attract hordes of buyers, I am sure.

The chasis can just about handle the piddly output of the 500. Rust remember to write a suicide note before you throw a 700 CC into that chasis, but then again 700 CC from Enfield will make about 30 bhp so maybe it won't be too bad. Just the extra 50 kgs or so weight on the chasis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 3151141)
The chasis can just about handle the piddly output of the 500.

'Just about' is being very charitable - the C500 fishtails alarmingly at speeds over 100 kmph and is a very scary vehicle to drive. If you place any value on your life, you shouldnt buy a more powerful version of the same (or a modified version of the same) chassis.

But are we forgetting the new double cradle frame that is going to be available on the new RE Cafe racer? With this in mind I'm sure a new twin could be installed.

Interesting thought. Norton did quite well with a double cradle frame with a large powerful twin mounted in it. clap:

Also, the addition of a rear disk brake on the T-bird and the Cafe would be useful on a 60 bhp twin. Hmmmm.

Dont know if they have changed the chassis in the TB500, but the bike is rock solid upto 135kmph, no dramas, no fishtailing, on locking the wheels into a skid, she skids straight and true (on a dry road with zero traffic), so I think the chassis is able to handle more power easily.