Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2013, 17:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Piaggio India jacks up price of the Vespa LX125

Link to News Section

Earlier this year, Piaggio India dropped prices of the Vespa LX125. The lower price was, in the company's MD Mr Ravi Chopra's own words, on account of "having achieved high levels of productivity in our manufacturing processes and optimisation of systems. We have just passed the cost efficiencies on to our customers and have maximised the value offering. Vespa buyers are now getting cost benefits in the range of Rs 7,000-Rs 8,000."

Piaggio India jacks up price of the Vespa LX125-piaggio-vespa-lx125.jpg

For the record, the Piaggio LX125 is 100% localized while the more recently launched VX125 comes with a 95% localization level. Surprisingly, Piaggio India has jacked up prices of the LX125 model, to those levels at which the scooter was originally launched at. The Piaggio LX125 is now priced at INR 66,460 ex-showroom Pune. (66,661 ex-showroom Maharashtra was the price at which the Vespa LX125 was initially launched in India)

It will be interesting to note Piaggio India's account on why it has increased prices of the Vespa LX125 by over 10%, especially at a time when the auto industry, including the two wheeler sector is going through a slowdown. Also, other major automatic scooter makers such as TVS Motors, Honda, Hero MotoCorp, Suzuki and Yamaha haven't increased prices, ruling out industry specific phenomena such as increase in input costs, etc.

With that, it appears that Piaggio India is alone in its price hike tactic. While the car industry, especially the luxury segment with heavy import content, has been effecting price hikes due to the depreciating Indian Rupee, Piaggio India shouldn't be affected by this phenomenon given the high amount of localization its scooters some this. So, why else has Piaggio India hiked prices of the Vespa LX125, a scooter model that is already a slow seller?

This is a question that'll be best answered by Piaggio, more so as the official website of the Vespa doesn't list out any additional features on the Vespa LX125.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 8th July 2013 at 17:35. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 18:56   #2
BHPian

Re: Piaggio India jacks up price of the Vespa LX125

Fully agree, I was all set to buy the Vespa VX when it was released, but the ridiculous increase in the pricing taking OTR Mumbai beyond 80k has dampened my mood & I am now thinking my next move. Disappointed in Piaggio's unpredictable pricing behavior so far.
Old 9th July 2013, 03:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Noting the reason for the price drop was due to "having achieved high levels of productivity in our manufacturing processes and optimisation of systems.", I must assume that they finally got the employees vending machines operating.

The decrease in the level of productivity due to the many employees gathering around the vending machines and shooting the breeze with one another was a predictable outcome that was inevitable but it does explain the price increase.
ArizonaJim is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 00:10   #4

I just booked a vespa slx 150 at INR 1.16 lakhs OTR. Already paid 1 lakh advance. I'm sort of having second thoughts after seeing so many better scooters at a fraction of the price.
Old 20th May 2016, 01:35   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradshiv View Post
I just booked a vespa slx 150 at INR 1.16 lakhs OTR. Already paid 1 lakh advance. I'm sort of having second thoughts after seeing so many better scooters at a fraction of the price.
No offence to you or any Vespa owner.

Wow! 1.16L OTR, that's almost Royal Enfield 350cc category and all you get is a 125cc scooter with retro styling. So much exclusivity!

If I am in your place I'll rethink in my decision.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 01:41   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
No offence to you or any Vespa owner.

Wow! 1.16L OTR, that's almost Royal Enfield 350cc category and all you get is a 125cc scooter with retro styling. So much exclusivity!

If I am in your place I'll rethink in my decision.
He has booked at 150.

However, I still agree with the above. Too much money to pay for what's on offer- basically a well built and slightly exclusive scooter.

I would wait for Aprillia to launch the SR150 as well before spending 1.2L on a scooter now.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 04:39   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradshiv View Post
I just booked a vespa slx 150.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

He has booked at 150.
Oops. Sorry, I missed it. I thought it was 125cc. My bad!

All I read 'Vespa' and '1.2L' made me go bonkers.

EDIT:

Aprilla is the one to check if one is looking at scooters above the regular ones.

Last edited by a4anurag : 20th May 2016 at 04:41.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 06:27   #8
BHPian

Though I love my Vespa VX 125, agree that the pricing is too high. Family thought I was nuts to waste 20k over Activa.

On top of that they have a coercive AMC, only every OTHER service is free & they deliberately have kept it at 3 month intervals ensuring nobody will come in so often. Does any modern scooter really need so much maintenance?

But yes, build quality and finish is good, is super for taller people, decent engine makes it fun to use.

My running is quite low, I just use it to potter around town now & then, just 2K used in almost 2 years now.

My previous LML Vespa was a workhorse, took me to work for years, thats why I bought this out of nostalgia.
gsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 11:28   #9

I agree with you guys. It is way too pricey for what's on offer. The scooter is a gift for my wife on our third anniversary. A very expensive way to get my laundry done free. JK the wife makes me do my own laundry among other household chores...
Pradshiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 17:23   #10
BHPian

I am facing an issue with silencer of vespa
Dealer asks me to get it replaced to return to normal sound - quotes 4500.
Please share a few thoughts
Old 2nd January 2019, 20:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Drat! We were looking to purchase this beauty - but prices have climbed north. Have to look at other affordable options, now!
Attached Thumbnails
Piaggio India jacks up price of the Vespa LX125-img_3377.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2019, 20:33   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Drat! We were looking to purchase this beauty - but prices have climbed north. Have to look at other affordable options, now!
This is an old thread that was just revived with the previous post.

Please recheck the prices. Nothing would have changed recently.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks