Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2013, 13:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Team-BHP scoop: A cut-price Mahindra commuter motorcycle

Link to News Section

Team-BHP has scooped Mahindra's next commuter motorcycle for the Indian market, a 110cc cut-price version of the Pantero. The motorcycle was caught testing outside Mahindra Two Wheelers's Research and Development facility at Chinchwad, off Pune. The main change on the new 110cc commuter motorcycle from Mahindra is that the Pantero's bikini faired headlamp is replaced by a round, unfaired headlamp.

Team-BHP scoop: A cut-price Mahindra commuter motorcycle-mahindra-low-cost-commuter-motorcycle-spyshot-1.jpg

Apart from this change, the cut-price motorcycle retains the Pantero's tank and other plastic bits on its flanks. Alloy wheels and the electric starter are the other omissions on the cut price commuter. The new Mahindra motorcycle will also retain the Pantero's 106cc four stroke engine and the 4 speed manual gearbox. The cut-price version of the Pantero will take on the likes of the Hero HF Dawn and the TVS Star City.

Team-BHP scoop: A cut-price Mahindra commuter motorcycle-mahindra-low-cost-commuter-motorcycle-spyshot-2.jpg

The Mahindra motorcycle is expected to be priced a couple of thousand rupees lower than the Pantero. Therefore, the new motorcycle will be Mahindra Two Wheelers's latest entry level model. Mahindra Two Wheelers has plans of launching new products in the next year or so, and these plans include a new 150cc motorcycle and the Mojo 300. While the 150cc motorcycle is yet to make an appearance on the testing circuit, the Mojo 300 is a regular sight on roads in and around Pune.

In the face of new competition, the Mojo 300 motorcycle is said to get a major stylistic revamp, ahead of its launch in 2014. Mahindra Two Wheelers is also testing a new automatic scooter, spy shots of which should be available on Team-BHP in the next few weeks. After acquiring Kinetic Engineering's two wheeler business in 2008, Mahindra Two Wheelers has been operating in the automatic scooter and commuter motorcycle segments.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 13th August 2013 at 13:15. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 13:24   #2
BHPian

re: Team-BHP scoop: A cut-price Mahindra commuter motorcycle

Wow! A hideous looking bike from Mahindra. Reminds me of that old school bike I saw in the Bajaj showroom standing beside the latest 200NS. I forgot the name now.

I am not sure who is going to buy this when you get a better looking bike for a couple of thousands more. Maybe this is aimed at those delivery bikes zooming on our streets. I see such bikes only with them now-a-days.

It would be interesting to see a full fairing bike from Mahindra now with some serious numbers under the seat.
carzone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 13:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Eeeewww. That looks like the old and humble 1st Gen Bajaj Caliber (not the Hoodibaba version) !! I guess the Caliber was better looking than this.
And like carzone pointed out, it seems to be targetted at Delivery boys, Milkman and Newspaper guy.
And why is it so dirty and not camouflaged ? For me it looks like a shabby rowdy riding a shabby 19th century bike.
Kills all the appeal of the bike on the first scoop itself. Now no one would be further interested to read more on this bike.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 13:58   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
And why is it so dirty and not camouflaged ? For me it looks like a shabby rowdy riding a shabby 19th century bike.
I am blindly guessing, and most probably I am cent-percent wrong as well, but can this be just the modified version of the original bike? Someone just put the old round headlamps on the bike because of a damage maybe.

Just a thought that ran across reading the post above.
Old 13th August 2013, 13:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
And like carzone pointed out, it seems to be targetted at Delivery boys, Milkman and Newspaper guy.
I actually find nothing wrong and funny in this. It is just good business.
Look at the number of bikes being used by the delivery guys all across the county, that is quite a satisfactory number.

Yes, this segment will take each and every step very consciously but if the price is right - the bike will sell. Not to forget the tall XX kmpl claims which are enough to get some amount of footfall in the showrooms.

If the Pantero at that price can sell, so can this with a noticeable price cut.

Obviously this bike will not excite us - the design loving kind, but those looking for function over form will think about it.

Last edited by parrys : 13th August 2013 at 13:59.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 14:41   #6
RSR
Senior - BHPian

This kind of motorcycle design in the second decade of the 21st century is very ordinary, to say the least. But I can see the reason they are going in for this. As parrys mentioned, there is a big market for bikes that offer pure utility and low running costs at an entry level price point, and nothing more.

Mahindra 2wheelers (the erstwhile Kinetic Engineering) has been making losses consistently and they desperately need sales of any kind to avoid further distress. They would find it very difficult to compete with the Japanese (Honda, Yamaha & Suzuki) and the more established Indian manufacturers (Hero, Bajaj & TVS) in any other segment. This is one segment where the number of competing products is relatively less and the competition is not cut-throat.

By the way, I think this bike existed earlier in another form. It was called the Kinetic Boss. Despite a famous cricketer's best efforts to push sales, the bike did not sell well. This one looks more like an extensive facelift of the earlier bike. Here it is:

Team-BHP scoop: A cut-price Mahindra commuter motorcycle-image.jpg

Last edited by RSR : 13th August 2013 at 14:58. Reason: Changed the picture
Old 13th August 2013, 19:22   #7
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP scoop: A cut-price Mahindra commuter motorcycle

I think Mahindra should sell their acquired two wheeler business to the likes of Hero or Bajaj & get back their full focus into Suv's. Thats their USP and thats what they do best.

3 years. 2 failed & recalled models. 2 in the pipeline models. Nothing very impressive when you're aim is to break into the hyper competitive 2 wheeler market.

Oh and mahindra it might help if your bikes model names aren't rounded off with the "O" nee pantero, duro, etc.

Sounds very weird.... something like Mahindro.

Last edited by Ford5 : 13th August 2013 at 19:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks