Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2013, 10:21   #1
BHPian

Project Dirt Tracker: The RTM Karna

I started off with this Dirt Tracker project on July 1st and am almost nearing its end with only the seat and paint remaining along with minor adjustments here and there.
Now I need some valuable comments and suggestions before I go ahead and finish the job. The handlebar has been changed to a clubbed one.
1. Where can I find a good grilled type battery box. It's $75 online and the dollar rate couldn't get any better. Does anyone know if the attached kind of battery box for the size of the small RX100 battery is available anywhere. (Look for picture)
2. Which vehicle rear fender will fit onto this. RX's wont because I converted it to monoshock and Unicorn's wont because the chassis mounting are different.
3. Can someone please suggest a good paint scheme for the motorcycle. I was thinking matt black chassis with white tank.
4. Any other valuable insights and suggestions welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Project Dirt Tracker: The RTM Karna-untitled.jpg  

Project Dirt Tracker: The RTM Karna-untitled2.jpg  

Old 24th September 2013, 21:30   #2
BHPian

re: Project Dirt Tracker: The RTM Karna

Haha, I'm not sure if anyone's even reading this but I'm too excited about my project to notice. Just finished it with only the speedo, stand and front fender remaining.

The front fender needs to be remade because I fit a bigger tyre and it wont fit anymore.
The speedo needs to be remade because the meter is of Yamaha and tyre of Pulsar.
And the stand needs to be remade because vehicle is taller and Impulse spares aren't out yet.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Project Dirt Tracker: The RTM Karna-untitled.jpg  

dhaval-mehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 16:59   #3
BHPian

Get a fork brace, btw the gc is a tad on the lower side for it to be a dirt track ride
Old 29th September 2013, 14:22   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Get a fork brace, btw the gc is a tad on the lower side for it to be a dirt track ride
I'm sorry but what is gc?
Old 29th September 2013, 14:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
If it is ground clearance then the bike is pretty high... Any higher and the feet wouldnt reach the ground for stable footing... Its close enough to impulse's clearance
Old 1st October 2013, 16:44   #6
BHPian

I find the seat a little low compared to the fuel tank. Don't get me wrong, I am sure GC is ok, as you have commented. But in case of dirt bikes, the fuel tank and seat is almost at same level, and transition between two is seamless (see red circle in photo). This design is intended, as it is easier to shift your weight back/forth according to track needs. Seeing your seating setup (provided that is final) you will have no room to move up front if needed.

So my suggestion, pad up the seat and make it higher.

Having said that, I have to say the ride looks cool! From the sidewise angle, the tyres look taken from a HD Fatboy!

Would very eagerly wait to see the finished product... Cheers!

Name:  dirtbike.bmp
Views: 1902
Size:  380.9 KB
Old 11th October 2013, 14:37   #7
BHPian

RTM Karna - The Dirt Tracker

The pictures of our first bike at RTM Speed Shop, a startup I am working on since passing out in May 2013. Suggestions and criticisms are welcome.

Features include:
1. Rear mono-shock suspension;
2. Front disc brakes;
3. Yamaha RX100cc engine;
4. CEAT Enduro tyres;
5. Custom paint job.
Attached Thumbnails
Project Dirt Tracker: The RTM Karna-1.jpg  

Project Dirt Tracker: The RTM Karna-2.jpg  

Project Dirt Tracker: The RTM Karna-3.jpg  

Project Dirt Tracker: The RTM Karna-4.jpg  

Project Dirt Tracker: The RTM Karna-5.jpg  

dhaval-mehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 17:16   #8
BHPian

Re: RTM Karna - The Dirt Tracker

Sorry, didn't get the post. Did you mean you are working for a start up and this is the first product? A dirt bike!

If yes, sorry to say, you will have to do a lot better than this to be a serious dirt bike. Front shocks cant be OEM, Silencer cant be so low. That rear number plate is gonna get knocked off on the first jump.

If no, looks like a simple mod of RX. The nakedness is too extreme for city use IMO. Tank finish is good. Which brand mono-shock is that?
Old 11th October 2013, 17:30   #9
BHPian

Dhaval, the idea seems good, but here are a few suggestions.

1. Dirt bikes need a slightly higher wheelbase.
2. The silencer needs to be brought under the seat area without sacrificing much of performance. You can take cues from the impulse.
3. Headlamps? This is a choice, you could install a slightly powerful version if this bike needs to be used under poor light scenarios.
Old 11th October 2013, 20:15   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
If no, looks like a simple mod of RX. The nakedness is too extreme for city use IMO. Tank finish is good. Which brand mono-shock is that?
No no, my mistake. My company is working on building motorized bicycles and electric bikes. This was a side project, a custom job to gain some capital for the electric bike's parts. I just thought it'd be a good idea to get the custom job under the company name as well.

I know I could have done a lot better. Front shocks, I disagree, can be OEM. I have lifted them and the travel is good. The silencer was supposed to be custom made and go from under the seat. (I even half fabricated it :( ), but the owner of the bike needed the stock. I tried convincing him but he wouldn't spend an extra 2k for the silencer.

It is just a simple RX rebuild, nothing great, I agree. The shocks are from Unicorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Dhaval, the idea seems good, but here are a few suggestions.

1. Dirt bikes need a slightly higher wheelbase.
2. The silencer needs to be brought under the seat area without sacrificing much of performance. You can take cues from the impulse.
3. Headlamps? This is a choice, you could install a slightly powerful version if this bike needs to be used under poor light scenarios.
Have noted the points sir. Will surely keep these in mind when I get some good customers and can really build the bike the way I want to. (Hope the guy is not on T-BHP :P)
Wheelbase and silencer, so agree with you. Headlamp, didn't get you. The casing may be distracting, but the bulb inside is a strong one.
Old 11th October 2013, 20:16   #11
BHPian

To be honest guys, even I don't like the bike as much. I could have done way better if I would have had the freedom. Have an order for a custom Enfield in Bangalore this month. I promise I won't disappoint.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks