Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2013, 13:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Triumph's 250 cc motorcycle spotted?

Link to News Section

British motorcycle maker Triumph has plans of establishing a full-fledged production facility at Narsapura, off Bangalore. This factory, which will support both CKD assembly as well as full-scale local production, is said to be aligned to Triumph's plans of making India its sourcing and manufacturing hub.

Triumph's 250 cc motorcycle spotted?-triumph-250-cc-motorcycle-spyshot-1.jpg

The first major motorcycle to roll out from Triumph's factory in India is likely to be a sub-300 cc motorcycle aimed at both developing and emerging markets. With this product, the company is looking at big volumes as it attempts to challenge the likes of KTM and BMW Motorrad (which also is working on sub-500cc motorcycles) in the European market and elsewhere.

The first spyshots of the purported Triumph 250 cc sportsbike have surfaced on RideApart. The motorcycle in question, which deceptively looks like a Triumph Street Triple on first glance, is actually a single cylinder bike, said to be using a 250 cc engine. Further evidence of the motorcycle being a small-capacity bike rests with the cycle parts.

Triumph's 250 cc motorcycle spotted?-triumph-250-cc-motorcycle-spyshot-2.jpg

Telescopic front forks up front, a single disc brake on the front wheel and narrow tyres (relatively speaking) are the three other parts that suggest a sub-400 cc engine capacity for the latest Triumph sportsbike. Further hints at the bike being aimed at the entry-level sportsbike market include the integrated seat design with grab rails and a single piece handlebar.

Triumph's 250 cc motorcycle spotted?-triumph-250-cc-motorcycle-spyshot-3.jpg

The latest Triumph is likely to take on the likes of the Honda CBR250R, the KTM Duke 200, the Suzuki Inazuma GW250 and the Kawasaki Z250. Rumours suggest that the small-capacity Triumph is likely to be based on a platform capable of supporting motorcycles with various body styles and with engine capacities of up to 350 cc.

Now that the first clear spyshots of the small-capacity Triumph have surfaced onto the interweb, expect more details to trickle out in the months to come. Gauging by the motorcycle's advanced stage of development as is evident from the spyshots. a 2014 launch seems likely for the baby Triumph.

Triumph's 250 cc motorcycle spotted?-triumph-250-cc-motorcycle-spyshot-4.jpg

The small-capacity sportsbike market is booming in markets across the world. Riders in both emerging and developed markets are favouring smaller capacity motorcycles that deliver better fuel efficiency than their 600 cc and liter-class siblings, while offering a modicum of performance, thrills and riding pleasure.

This growing demand has prompted a bevy of motorcycle makers to jump onto the entry-level motorcycle bandwagon. From hosting just the previous generation Kawasaki Ninja 250R and the Hyosung GT250R half a decade ago, the 250 cc sportsbike space is increasingly getting crowded with over half a dozen offerings from oriental and European motorcycle brands.

Triumph is likely to launch its motorcycles in India by the end of this year. The high performance motorcycle line-up, starting from 675 cc, will feature a mix of CKD assembled and CBU imported models. Triumph has appointed former Bajaj Auto sales hand, Mr. Vimal Sumbly, as the managing director for Indian operations. The motorcycle maker is yet to announce dealers for its Indian foray.

Triumph's Indian foray has been marked by delays. The brand showcased the range of motorcycles that it planned to launch in India way back in January 2012, at the Indian Auto Expo. Back then, Triumph even announced prices of its motorcycle range, whetting the interest of eager enthusiast bikers. Although more than 20 months have elapsed since the first round of unveils, the first official Triumph motorcycles are yet to roll onto Indian roads.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 18th October 2013 at 13:39. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 14:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph's 250 cc motorcycle spotted?

Isn't it going to get really exciting here in India?

The KTM RC390, Honda CBR300R, TVS-BMW 250cc, cut-price Ninja 250R, Yamaha 250cc (I hope) and now this. I'll be kind enough to add the Mahindra Mojo as well to this list.

Can't wait for 2014
parrys is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 15:37   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post

The KTM RC390, Honda CBR300R, TVS-BMW 250cc, cut-price Ninja 250R, Yamaha 250cc (I hope) and now this. I'll be kind enough to add the Mahindra Mojo as well to this list.

Can't wait for 2014
I thought you added the Mojo for humor's sake. May as well add the India manufactured Hyosung 250 to the list then.

Anyway, it's too early to expect this motorcycle to be sold in India even by next year, given Triumph's current progress rates. Although, I'd be lying if I say I'm not as excited as you are.
Old 18th October 2013, 22:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:

Can't wait for 2014
Include the Pulsar 375 (bajaj superbike ) at an even affordable price.
anilupadhya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 20:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
I'll be kind enough to add the Mahindra Mojo as well to this list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
I thought you added the Mojo for humor's sake.
I don't think he added Mojo to the list for funsake. I think Mojo if wisely restyled and priced properly can be considered as one of the option available.

Only problem is that KTM has broken all barriers in terms of pricing, handling, power and safety.

It remains to be seen how other manufacturers respond to this KTM threat. The real fun will start when KTM comes with fully faired bikes (liked by our mass public), that is the time when Honda, Yamaha will face the true heat.
As of now in immediate future I dont think manufacturers like Triumph, Harley, Suzuki can make a hold in the less than 2 lakh INR bracket. I dont think that these would be 250 cc machines would come close to the power provided by the DUKE 390.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 20:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
I don't think he added Mojo to the list for funsake. I think Mojo if wisely restyled and priced properly can be considered as one of the option available.
The Mojo made it to the list because I (like a few) have been a fan of the way the Mojo looks. And if it is priced right, it would surely find some takers.

Quote:
Only problem is that KTM has broken all barriers in terms of pricing, handling, power and safety.
And the one you missed is the one KTM has missed too - Quality. With the bikes coming out of the Bajaj stable, they carry the low cost - low quality characteristic. I have more than 10 bikers who own the D200 and their spare parts like cone set, sprockets, oil seals need attention in 10K Kms. No offence to other Dukers.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:44   #7
BHPian

What KTM and Bajaj have missed out in the after sales service especially in chennai. Adyar Bajaj showroom is the only KTM service centre in the city and whereas for the P200NS there is only 1 qualified (who has [FONT=&quot]successfully [/FONT]finished the course) technician.

All new breed of [FONT=&quot] performance (at least by Indian standards) [/FONT]bikes like R15, FZ, CBR needs chain, sprocket replacement by 15-18k km, a well maintained set might last 20-22k max and even the soft compound tyres last 18k km.

BTW cone set of R15 costs Rs 4500 whereas 200NS costs Rs. 600 odd. So for me, its value for money.

I am saying this based on my experience, I own a R15 and 200NS. I did not want a duke just because of the service; I can take 200NS to Bajaj Dealership for service but again level of service is not great. I don't understand why they ask the customers for complaints when they are not ready to rectify it.

The problem with avid performance seekers is that they just blindly go and make a huge purchase without thinking about the after sales service aspects and the costs involved.

My friend wanted to get a D 390 as his primary ride and his daily commute involves 100 km. So I told him that the daily petrol expense would be close to Rs. 250 apart from that tyre and chain/sprocket replacement every 15-18k km which come close to 27-30 grand (read in Sriramv.iyer's thread that Metzeler Sportek M5 pair costs 24K ) plus the running cost and general maintenance.

Now how many of us would think twice, I would for sure.

Even I am eagerly awaiting the Triumph's 250, hope they bring in the fully faired version as well. If the level of localization is not much, I would buy a bike with decent performance than spend a bomb on imported parts or on the other hand settle for a bike with parts imported from Thailand, as it would be cheaper once the free trade agreement comes into effect.
katchkamalesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 09:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Official: Triumph confirms 250 cc sportsbike for 2015

Link to News Section

British motorcycle maker Triumph has confirmed the development of a 250 cc sportbike at the 2013 EICMA Motorcycle Show at Milan, Italy. The motorcycle maker has even released a sketch of the 250 cc sportsbike that it's developing for markets across the globe. While the spyshots that hit the interweb over the past few days indicated a naked Triumph sportsbike, the official sketch released by Triumph depicts a full-faired sportsbike that could rival the likes of the Kawasaki Ninja 250R and the Honda CBR 250R.

Triumph's 250 cc motorcycle spotted?-2015-triumph-250cc-motorcycle-official-sketch.jpg

The sketch shows skinny front and rear tyres, telescopic front forks, single disc brakes at the front and the rear, a non-split seat and other aggregates that firmly put the 250 cc motorcycle in the budget/beginner segment. A single cylinder engine with liquid cooling and fuel injection is likely to power the Triumph 250, with power and torque outputs comparable with that produced by the Honda CBR 250R's motor.

Taking the spyshots and the official sketch together, it seems likely that Triumph would build the new 250 cc sportsbike in various body styles. This is a common practice among motorcycle makers, who design a range of body styles around a single engine platform. For instance, KTM is using the 125 cc, 200 cc and 373 cc engines to power three different body styles: naked, full-faired and touring. Expect a similar approach from Triumph.

While 250 cc could be the starting point for Triumph's small-capacity motorcycle range, additional engines could be supported by this very platform in the times to come given the British motorcycle maker's plans of dramatically boosting sales volumes. The small capacity range of Triumph sportsbikes will be built in India, at the greenfield manufacturing facility that the British motorcycle maker plans to set up at Narsapura, off Bangalore. This facility will serve as a global sourcing and manufacturing hub for Triumph's small capacity sportsbikes. The small capacity, 250 cc Triumph will debut in 2015.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 6th November 2013 at 09:08. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 23:06   #9
BHPian

A couple of pics, of the faired 250 mules, forwarded to me by a friend. Looks pretty sweet to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph's 250 cc motorcycle spotted?-1472098_552322614845219_155318479_n.jpg  

Triumph's 250 cc motorcycle spotted?-1460960_552322664845214_1560291448_n.jpg  

Triumph's 250 cc motorcycle spotted?-1477918_552322504845230_2076850749_n.jpg  

dreamseller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 23:44   #10
BHPian

Looks good and also looks pretty much production ready!
Any idea when this is going to be launched?

EDIT: Just read that it will be launched in 2015! Isn't that a long way off, especially since the new baby ceeber will be here, the RC will be launched, and also since Yamaha has awakened from their long drawn slumber!?

Last edited by preetam_KORG : 30th November 2013 at 23:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks