Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2013, 15:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hero MotoCorp to make US foray with EBR's distributorship

Link to News Section

Come 2014, the world's largest two wheeler maker by volumes, Hero MotoCorp, could be the second two wheeler maker to enter the United States in a big way, after Royal Enfield, which has already been selling its motorcycle range in that part of the world for over half a decade. Hero MotoCorp's motorcycles and scooters will be distributed in the United States through Erik Buell Racing. Hero MotoCorp holds a 49.2 % stake on Erik Buell Racing, a company it engaged to develop new products and supply engine technology after the Hero-Honda split.

Hero MotoCorp to make US foray with EBR's distributorship-hero-motocorp-leap-hybrid-scooter-concept-1.jpg

Details of the products that Hero MotoCorp is likely to sell in the United States remain unknown at the moment. Given the fact that Hero MotoCorp is predominantly a maker of commuter motorcycles and scooters, stuff that might not have much of a market in the United States, newly developed future products are likely to get the go-ahead for the American market. One such product is the Leap Hybrid scooter, which was first showcased by Hero MotoCorp at the 2012 Indian Auto Expo.

Hero MotoCorp to make US foray with EBR's distributorship-hero-motocorp-leap-hybrid-scooter-concept-2.jpg

Notably, Erik Buell Racing was instrumental in developing the concept version of the Leap Hybrid scooter for Hero MotoCorp. Also, Erik Buell Racing holds a patent for a series-hybrid automatic scooter, the technology underpinning the Leap Hybrid. Hero MotoCorp announced last year that it was looking at production-izing the Leap Hybrid scooter concept. Keeping these factors in mind, it is likely that Hero MotoCorp's US foray would be spearheaded by the Leap scooter.

Hero MotoCorp to make US foray with EBR's distributorship-hero-motocorp-leap-hybrid-scooter-concept-3.jpg

The Leap Hybrid scooter is touted to deliver a fuel efficiency figure of around 100 Kmpl. The high fuel efficiency figure is attributed to a series-hybrid system that uses a single cylinder, four stroke petrol engine as a generator. This generator will charge the battery stack of the scooter that will in turn power the electric motor used as a means of propulsion. This method of propulsion delivers high fuel efficiency and low tail pipe emissions.

Hero MotoCorp to make US foray with EBR's distributorship-hero-motocorp-leap-hybrid-scooter-concept-4.jpg

Source DealerNews

Images GooglePatents

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 23rd October 2013 at 15:50. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 09:28   #2
BHPian

Re: Hero MotoCorp to make US foray with EBR's distributorship

Looks good. We need one in India too. We need some all new products this one to take on the ageing scooters like Activa, Scooty etc.
Old 25th October 2013, 00:36   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

This could sell well in the College towns where there is a large population of young people needing a handy scooter that delivers good fuel economy.

Typically, these College students are really into the "save the planet" thinking so a hybrid electric drive system would be attractive.

It would be necessary for it to be capable of traveling at a speed of at least 45mph (73 kmph) as that is the typical speed motorists drive at on the main city/town streets in the USA.
Old 25th October 2013, 08:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Proves the point yet again that HERO has no indigenous R&D and cannot innovate without an external partner.

HONDA back then and EBR now.

I am not too sure if there is a market for this product in the US.
Old 25th October 2013, 09:19   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Proves the point yet again that HERO has no indigenous R&D and cannot innovate without an external partner.

HONDA back then and EBR now.
bang on. but I am not sure if you are criticising that, or if it is at all worth criticising. partner up with some big gun showing them your dealer network and market penetration level, get engines/other techs from them, slap some stickers on and sell; that is their business model, and it is working well for Hero and for the consumers! I admit that the new lineup by them looks hedious, but I'm sure they'll sell bucketloads!!

Quote:
I am not too sure if there is a market for this product in the US.
I guess there is. as @ArizonaJim has pointed out in the post before, young college going crowd in US is really in the Save Our Planet thing, which may just be a fad for them, but who are we to judge?? that gives a fuel efficient hybrid a perfect position to slot in! And with EBR's brand name somewhere on it, they won't be apprehensive either of the brand value...
Old 25th October 2013, 10:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hero is very aggressively investing in R&D. One of my colleague was telling me that recruitment for their R&D is going on full stream.

By the way Hero is holding 49% stake in EBR. So we can hope that the R&D strength of EBR will power up Hero's R&D team further.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks