Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2014, 01:06   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500

arjithin

It is normal for a RE to jump a bit when the engine is cold and it is shifted into 1st gear.
This is partially due to the wet clutch plates sticking together after sitting overnight. All wet clutches used on motorcycles do this.

The effect can be reduced if your motorcycle has a kick starter.
Before starting the engine, pull out the kick starter lever, pull in the clutch lever and then push the kick starter lever down.
When doing this you will notice a firm resistance to the levers moving, then suddenly, the lever will move without hardly any force at all.
The resistance was due to the stuck clutch plates. When they "broke loose" from each other, the lever moved freely.

While this won't eliminate all of the "jump" when shifting into first gear after the engine is started, it will greatly reduce it.

As for the clutch not fully releasing after the engine is started, causing the motorcycle to "creep" forward while the lever is fully pulled in, that is not normal.
It could be due to damaged or warped clutch plates and if it is, the dealer should be willing to replace them under warranty.

On the other hand, if the dealer finds the motorcycle does not move forward while the engine is running in gear and the clutch lever is properly pulled in, the fault may be due to your not holding the lever tight against the handlebar at all times while the motorcycle is stopped.

I suspect your problem with handling and stopping is due to the first motorcycles you rode.

The Royal Enfield is considerably heavier than either of your first 2 motorcycles. In fact, it might weigh as much as both of them put together.

More weight means longer distances to stop from any given speed.
This means you must be observant of any and all hazards that are ahead of you.
Plan ahead, constantly changing your plan as the situation ahead of you changes.

Although you say you are using the front brake along with the rear, if you are like most Indian riders you consider the rear brake as your primary brake. It is not or at least it should not be thought of as the primary brake.

The front brake is the primary brake on any dry paved road.
Not only is it much more powerful than the rear brake but when it is used, some physics gets involved.

The greater the weight on a tyre, the greater it grabs the road.
When you stop, the weight of the motorcycle and you are greatly shifted to the front tyre. At the same time, the weight that was on the rear wheel is greatly reduced.

This weight shift makes front tyre grab the road better so it is able to stop the motorcycle (and you) faster. Conversely, the lighter load on the rear tyre makes it more likely to skid while braking.

If the road is wet or it has dirt, sand, gravel or ice on it, then do most of your braking with the rear brake but keep in mind that the rear tyre will not stop the motorcycle rapidly. Plan on stopping taking much longer, covering much more distance before you come to a full stop.

I think if you keep my advice in mind and practice it you will find your RE will be your friend and will quickly respond to any command you give it.
ArizonaJim is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 12:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
arjithin

As for the clutch not fully releasing after the engine is started, causing the motorcycle to "creep" forward while the lever is fully pulled in, that is not normal.
It could be due to damaged or warped clutch plates and if it is, the dealer should be willing to replace them under warranty.

I suspect your problem with handling and stopping is due to the first motorcycles you rode.

The Royal Enfield is considerably heavier than either of your first 2 motorcycles. In fact, it might weigh as much as both of them put together.
Thanks Jim for the great advice. I am going to push RE to check the clutch after opening the left side engine cover next time I give for 4th paid service.

Regarding the stability, I think I found the reason. The rear suspension was on the hardest position on both sides. I somehow confused this as the softest position and didnt bother to change it. After moving to softest position, the tires are gripping to the road much better. The earlier position was so bad that I could feel the wheel spin in wet conditions when I accelerate in 2nd gear fast !!!. I am yet to drive in a wet condition after the suspension adjustment. The effectiveness of rear suspension in absorbing potholes still needs a lot of improvement.

I switched the handlebar with a classic 350 handlebar. see pictures. I like the posture, but for me (6'2") the handlebar feels a bit lower. Let me try it for few days.

The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500-bull1.jpg
The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500-bull2.jpg
The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500-bull3.jpg

Planning to switch to the old standard (pre 1990) flat seat to attack this height issue and to increase the comfort by putting an additional soft form layer. Any idea where I can get a brand new seat?

Other works still in planning phase
1. A spot weld to make the side stand stop at exactly perpendicular to vehicle
The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500-bull4.jpg

2. Silencer- The current exhaust note is much better than classic series but I want to get as close as a stock CI exhaust note. Any suggestions on which aftermarket silencer should I buy?
3. Switch for LED lights. dx.com delivered the switch after a 6 week waiting.
The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500-bullet5.jpg
Old 29th October 2014, 09:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I switched the handlebar with a classic 350 handlebar. see pictures. I like the posture, but for me (6'2") the handlebar feels a bit lower. Let me try it for few days.
Planning to switch to the old standard (pre 1990) flat seat to attack this height issue and to increase the comfort by putting an additional soft form layer. Any idea where I can get a brand new seat?

2. Silencer- The current exhaust note is much better than classic series but I want to get as close as a stock CI exhaust note. Any suggestions on which aftermarket silencer should I buy?
3. Switch for LED lights. dx.com delivered the switch after a 6 week waiting.
Attachment 1280636
How do you find the handle bar now?
The best bet w.r.t silencers and what I have observed is the short bottle ones ,they sound pretty close to the C.I ones.
Old 29th October 2014, 22:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
How do you find the handle bar now?
The best bet w.r.t silencers and what I have observed is the short bottle ones ,they sound pretty close to the C.I ones.
Feels much better and like driving the old CI standard. I adjusted the 2 handlebar holding bolts in such a way that the grip is slighly toward front, thereby raising the height.

Tried a short bottle silencer (OEM), but removed it due to excessive popping.

4 free services are over and bike covered 5400 km in 10 months. No long ride yet due to my shoulder condition.

Going to service station again next week to fix the clutch issue.

Last edited by arjithin : 29th October 2014 at 22:54.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 23:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

Its been 6+ months since I updated this thread.
Bullet500 is going strong. Completed 8000km in 15 months.
serviced it twice since last update
1. Last free service - Major complaint was oil leak from the engine head. Replaced the gasket/oil seal and now oil leaks solved. It took 3 attempts to get it done correctly though.
2. First paid service - Regular service with oil change. I am getting a small 'fi' 'fi' kind of whistling sound when I am in second gear decelerating without throttle at around 20kmph speed; I am 90% confident that its coming from silencer. Sound will go away as the speed further reduces. service center unable to fix it. ( On a related note: Silencer was very loose and got it tightened in the service)

Had two punctures in between and second one warranted rear tube replacement.

Changed the handle bar end weights to chrome plated one for better looks

Bike returns consistent 35-38 kmpl in Bangalore city traffic. Due to some medical issues, I don't think I will be taking her for long highway trips anytime soon.
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 20:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

Current odo: 11050 km /2 years 2 months complete
Usage again reduced due to my lower back conditions and addition of another car in my garage.

2 more services completed
  • Brake shoe, wheel bearing and swing arm bushes replaced at @Indimotard adventures
  • clutch cable replaced in second one at a local mechanic near my home

Both rims are out of shape, thanks to Bangalore roads. Will get it done in next service
One of the LED spot light is not working after 18 months of use, need to replace that.
Bike gives amazing mileage. pic below. All of these are out of the peak our traffic

Some photos of the app which tracks mileage and costs

The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500-screenshot_20160220174823.png
The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500-screenshot_20160220174930.png
The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500-screenshot_20160220174941.png
The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500-screenshot_20160220174958.png
The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500-screenshot_20160220175005.png

Some photos of the bike after a wash today..pardon the poor cellphone camera photos. (Its a green bullet )

The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500-dsc_0132.jpg
The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500-dsc_0133.jpg
The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500-dsc_0135.jpg
The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500-dsc_0136.jpg

The sticker !!
The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500-dsc_0137.jpg
The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500-dsc_0138.jpg

With its bigger companion
The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500-dsc_0139.jpg
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 12:45   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hello sir, How is your Bullet 500 going? I was just searching threads related to Bullet 500 and remembered reading your initial experiences.
How is your shoulder condition and the Bullet.
Once I had an accident, and Amun-Ra was fixed with Classic handle. Had to change to standard's to maintain the composure. How much on the ODO and any nagging issues you have been facing?
Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 03:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
How is your shoulder condition and the Bullet.
I sold the bullet due to the very low usage ( 1000-1500 km per year). Battery died and rust started appearing. Felt bad for the bike and decided to sell than keeping. Fortunately a known person picked up my bullet 500 and I get updates occassionally.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 18:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I sold the bullet due to the very low usage ( 1000-1500 km per year). Battery died and rust started appearing. Felt bad for the bike and decided to sell than keeping. Fortunately a known person picked up my bullet 500 and I get updates occassionally.
Sorry to hear that sir. I am hopeful that the new owner would take good care of your bullet.
Old 22nd September 2020, 23:42   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Sorry to hear that sir. I am hopeful that the new owner would take good care of your bullet.

Hello Majumdarda,
How is your Amu-ra doing! Hope fine. Would love to hear from you. Yours was one of the earliest Bullet 500 threads! if I remember correctly! .
LongDrive lover is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks