Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2014, 21:18   #1
BHPian

Motorcycle's Center Stand rusting issue

Hello dear fellow team-bhpian's I tried and searched all the possible sections of team-bhp but did not find any thread which was relevant to my query and hence i am posting my query out here by creating a new thread regarding rusting or corrosion pertaining to Bikes!

I have a BAJAJ pulsar 220F August 2011 model and have clocked 5400 kms till date since i use my bike for only local rides around my home area and a weekend long drive of about 50 to 75 kms. It is regularly serviced at Authorised BAJAJ service outlets and is like a New Bike till date.

Coming to my Query, Recently i visited a exide battery authorised service outlet and got the electrolyte of the battery refilled (as it was a little low) but the service person with/without his knowledge filled the electrolyte to the battery's brim and ever since then the battery electrolyte started leaking out from the battery. Luckily the drain pipe was also installed during the refilling (on my request) but after about a week i noticed that the bike's main (centre) stand has started getting corroded (rusted) along with a whitish powder formation (at the affected part) for which i immediately exchanged the old exide (acid) battery to Amaron (Dry) Battery and applied about two coats of black spray paint to the rusted area of the main (centre) stand after cleaning the rust with a clean dry cloth but even after doing so the stand is getting rusted at the same area again after a week with certain whitish powder like formation and also brown rust at the same affected spot!

Should i replace the main (centre) stand which costs about Rs.400 or is there a way i can restore the existing stand as the rust has just started developing only on the surface of the the corroded area of the stand? Please help.

Respected Moderator's kindly merge this post to an appropriate section/thread if its not deserving/appropriate to be asked here.

Thank you in advance!
Regards,
Rakshith.
Rakshith220 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 17:01   #2
BHPian

re: Motorcycle's Center Stand rusting issue

I think you should just get it replaced.

The good thing about Bajaj is that their spares are really cheap!!
snowmane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 11:23   #3
BHPian

before replacing the stand, find out the cause of rusting. usual rusting due to moisture in the air is okay, but the white powder indicates damage caused by battery acid. new stand will face same fate, if the leak is not stopped.
motionfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 12:31   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmane View Post
I think you should just get it replaced.

The good thing about Bajaj is that their spares are really cheap!!
with that but i was just thinking if it can (by any means like using 2 coats of primer & 2 coats of spray paint) be restored as there is no other issue recurrence as i have replaced the battery itself to a dry battery!
Appreciate your guidance!
Rakshith.
Rakshith220 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 12:39   #5
BHPian

Remove it from bike, scrub down the rust clean !, primer, paint. Refix. that'll be good enough if the spillage is taken care of.
Rennjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 12:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
before replacing the stand, find out the cause of rusting. usual rusting due to moisture in the air is okay, but the white powder indicates damage caused by battery acid. new stand will face same fate, if the leak is not stopped.
I agree with your concern sir but as i have earlier mentioned in my above thread, the cause for the rusting issue was the Exide (Acid) Battery and hence i replaced the battery and inturn installed a Amaron Pro Bike Rider (Dry) Battery! So there is completely no chance of recurrence of the same issue once again. Hence my question was, should i replace the main stand or can it be restored by applying 2 coats each of primer and paint respectively, on the affected area of the main stand?
Appreciate your valuable suggestion sir.
Rakshith.
Old 9th February 2014, 17:11   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshith220 View Post
I agree with your concern sir but as i have earlier mentioned in my above thread, the cause for the rusting issue was the Exide (Acid) Battery and hence i replaced the battery and inturn installed a Amaron Pro Bike Rider (Dry) Battery! So there is completely no chance of recurrence of the same issue once again. Hence my question was, should i replace the main stand or can it be restored by applying 2 coats each of primer and paint respectively, on the affected area of the main stand?
Appreciate your valuable suggestion sir.
Rakshith.
No need to replace. Just remove the rust using sand paper and coat with a spray paint

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks