Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2014, 18:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scooty ES: Won't move forward!

We have a 2001 Scooty ES used primarily by my wife, but occasionally by me too for short runs. Last Saturday I was returning home after an errand when I stopped briefly to talk to somebody I knew. The engine was running and I was expecting to move on after a very brief talk. But once I did try to move, I heard some sound from the rear - which sounded like how it would when you mistakenly press the kick-starter when the engine is already running. I could not really make out what the sound was, but after this sound, the bike would not move forward. Basically engine is running, throttle-input given is registering in terms of engine sound/response, but bike won't move forward - that is, looks like no connection from engine to the transmission.

Any idea what could be the problem ? And what kind of expense I am looking at to get this rectified ? Should I take it only to a TVS service centre or is this something your local mechanic can also fix ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 10th March 2014 at 18:53.
Old 10th March 2014, 19:56   #2
BANNED

re: Scooty ES: Won't move forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
We have a 2001 Scooty ES used primarily by my wife, but occasionally by me too for short runs. Last Saturday I was returning home after an errand when I stopped briefly to talk to somebody I knew. The engine was running and I was expecting to move on after a very brief talk. But once I did try to move, I heard some sound from the rear - which sounded like how it would when you mistakenly press the kick-starter when the engine is already running. I could not really make out what the sound was, but after this sound, the bike would not move forward. Basically engine is running, throttle-input given is registering in terms of engine sound/response, but bike won't move forward - that is, looks like no connection from engine to the transmission.

Any idea what could be the problem ? And what kind of expense I am looking at to get this rectified ? Should I take it only to a TVS service centre or is this something your local mechanic can also fix ?
What about the brakes and IIRC there is some parking brake too (A short lever above the rear brake lever? Hope these are not creating the problem.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 20:17   #3
BHPian

Is it possible that the CVT belt snapped and thus there is no connection anymore between the engine and the wheels?
hellmet is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 20:35   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Is it possible that the CVT belt snapped and thus there is no connection anymore between the engine and the wheels?
Possible but wont that sound have alerted him before gunning the engine to move ahead. The only sound he heard was krr-krrr-krrr types when the kick starter is depressed while the engine is running.

Anurag.
Old 10th March 2014, 21:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
+1. My friend had an activa and we experienced the same thing. Most probably it is the belt.
katchkamalesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 22:08   #6
BHPian

Either its the belt which has snapped, or the centrifugal clutch has a engagement problem or the variator pulley slide mechanism has some problem because of which the belt is not able to transfer power.
I think this can be identified by any local mechanic who has worked on variomatic drives like scooty,activa.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 12:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the responses, guys. Possibly it is the CVT belt, as some of you said. Yesterday my FIL got a local mechanic home to have a look and he asked to buy a spare-part that cost around 450Rs and which would be replaced today. I am at Chennai (bike at Kerala) so will know more on what was replaced when I go home this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag
What about the brakes and IIRC there is some parking brake too (A short lever above the rear brake lever? Hope these are not creating the problem.
It was not the brakes - more specifically no drive from the engine to the wheels. BTW, the short-lever you mention would be the choke - atleast on the Scooty. Is there a parking brake in bikes ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 11th March 2014 at 12:27.
Old 11th March 2014, 14:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scooty ES: Won't move forward!

Called home just now and confirmed that the spare-part bought was a belt. So looks like it was the CVT belt that snapped, like many of you correctly surmised. Thanks again.
The belt has been replaced and the bike is back in running condition.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 14:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

After the CVT belt was replaced, things were good. But unfortunately, not for long.

A new issue popped up - the bike lacked pick-up and if you give throttle, the engine will die. Basically it will move at really slow speeds only. The mechanic simply said (without looking into the bike) that the hose from air-filter is damaged and needs to be replaced. Could not get it at Kerala, so bought one from the TVS dealer on OMR. Replaced the hose and the problem was solved, as correctly surmised by the mechanic. Bike is back to its usual sprightly self.

Few days go by and a new problem cropped up. The front wheel seems to wobble with the bike going not according to the handle-input. Issue with wheel bearing ? Have not had the time to take it to the mechanic yet.

For a bike that is 13+ years old, I guess it is normal for one issue or the other to pop up.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 14:20   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

Few days go by and a new problem cropped up. The front wheel seems to wobble with the bike going not according to the handle-input. Issue with wheel bearing ? Have not had the time to take it to the mechanic yet.
Check the bearing and also the forks alignment. Did it hit any pothole or some such obstacle?

Check the wheel rim and tyres, may have got damaged.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 17:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

The bike is used as a local runabout and has had no hits AFAIK. I am leaning towards the bearing being the culprit, but will have a look at the rim/tyres too. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks