Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2014, 09:50   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Sudden electrical system failure in my Pulsar 180 UG3

Today morning on my way to work, the digital speedo of my 6 years old 180 UG3 went blank. Horn, indicator, head lamp, tail lamp stopped working.Only the tacho was working. Intermittently the place where the cumulative ODO count is displayed started displaying 'CDI' . After sometime everything became normal and all the electricals started working fine as if nothing has happened . After some time the same problem repeated but this time the tacho was stuck at 6K RPM. Since the engine was working fine, did not dare to switch off even at signals. After reaching office saw that the speedo was stuck at 2K RPM. None of the electricals working. But Kick start worked fine and the engine started.

Any idea what went wrong? Battery is changed 1 year ago and is in a good shape. Will take it to my local mechanic but want to know where to trouble shoot the problem? Please help
Old 2nd April 2014, 10:48   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Sudden electrical system failure in my Pulsar 180 UG3

Looks like a problematic battery or a blown fuse. Many symptoms that you stated were noted in my Honda too when the battery died. Worse, I don't have a kick starter in my bike, hence changed the battery same day and all the problems were sorted out.
I think it should be a good idea to check the battery and then the main fuse.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:09   #3
BHPian

What's UG3?

The wiring harness might be damaged somewhere. If there's a place that checks wiring harnesses (like Ramkoti for Hyderabad), take the bike there. It'd be a 10-15min job for them to find the fault and fix. My old bike started to turn off randomly and the fuel meter would jump like mad for no reason. Took it to Ramkoti and fixed for Rs.120 in 10min flat.
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
What's UG3?
UG3 is the model name as per naming convention for various upgrades on pulsar. This is the one with all black alloys and the headlamp fairing. The later ones are UG4(with tyre, suspension, full DC electricals etc borrowed from P200) and the current one now is UG4.5.
knaveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 01:08   #5
BHPian

Looks like a problem with the fuse hidden under the seat. Even I faced the same problem a year ago. Took the bike to the local mechanic and he cleaned the fuse which was hidden under the seat. In my case RPM got stuck at the maximum.
JoseVijay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 14:24   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi All,

I own a P180 UG4.5 bought in Aug '12 and done 13.5k kms. My bike was lying idle since 10 days(I gave it a wash a few days ago). Last night I took it out for a short errand and thumb-started as usual and switched on the parking lights. She readily started but I noticed that the trip meter had reset itself. Then suddenly the speedo display lights(including telltales) went off even though the headlight was functioning properly. It was dark and before I could confirm if the screen was blank too, it was back to normal with out me doing anything. Again I confirmed that both my trip meters were reset. I went ahead with my errand of half a km and the bike was her usual self all throughout, the tripmeter was clocking the negligible distance too and there was no starting trouble.

Now my question is:
Was this due to a similar fuse problem?
Or is it a weak battery? I have never faced starting trouble even after leaving the bike idle for 15 days in winters. Weak battery shouldn't have sustained there IMO.

Last edited by ashis89 : 4th April 2014 at 14:34.
Old 4th April 2014, 14:47   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Went to my local mechanic. The fuse was blown. So he installed the spare fuse and that also blew immediately as soon as the ignition was switched on. Also there was sparks coming when the two terminals of the fuse socket were connected directly. He concluded that there is a ground which is happening somewhere in the wiring and needs time to trouble shoot. Have left it at the garage. Will see what happens. :(
Old 27th June 2023, 17:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Went to my local mechanic. The fuse was blown. So he installed the spare fuse and that also blew immediately as soon as the ignition was switched on. Also there was sparks coming when the two terminals of the fuse socket were connected directly. He concluded that there is a ground which is happening somewhere in the wiring and needs time to trouble shoot. Have left it at the garage. Will see what happens. :(
I am facing exactly the same issue with my Pulsar RS200 BS3 (2016 model).
Mechanic from Bajaj ASS analysed it for one complete day and suggesting me to change the complete wiring setup that costs 13k and he cannot guarantee that would resolve the issue. Did you get that fixed ? If so, could you let me know ?
Old 28th June 2023, 10:11   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuv24793 View Post
I am facing exactly the same issue with my Pulsar RS200 BS3 (2016 model).
Mechanic from Bajaj ASS analysed it for one complete day and suggesting me to change the complete wiring setup that costs 13k and he cannot guarantee that would resolve the issue. Did you get that fixed ? If so, could you let me know ?
Wow, you have quoted almost a decade old post of mine and I had to rack my brains to recollect what was done!

There was a short due to chaffed insulation somewhere under the seat. That was causing the fuse to blow. The chaffing was covered in insulation tape and the problem went off and not occured again till date
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks