Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:39   #1
BHPian

Protecting motorbike tank from scratches?

The Trigger has a huge tank that I lean on to when I get into the riding position. However, I wear gear and it seems to be scratching the tank in the area connecting it to the seat. I'm talking about this area:

Protecting motorbike tank from scratches?-cb_trigger004.jpg

As an interim measure, I applied normal clear tape of the 2" width kind which is doing the job of protecting the tank for now.

However, I'm looking for something that will do the job better, while also not looking like a band-aid job. I asked around some shops that cater to bike accessories and also radium shops, but none of them had anything that would cover the tank decently enough.

Ideally, I'm looking for a self-adhesive rubbery thing that could be applied across the area, but I am also OK with other alternatives. I am also looking at frosted film, but I don't know where to source it from, and not sure if it'd really stick to a curved painted surface as they're meant for plain glass. Vinyl, of the kind available on ebay is only .18mm thick. I'm sure it'd tear pretty soon.

Ideas please! Let me know what you use, and where to source it from (online/offline stores), if possible.
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Protecting motorbike tank from scratches?

The best bet would be to get a 3M PPF (Paint Protection Film) installed. Am not sure if all 3M outlets do it. Here's an exclusive thread on it

Check out this video for an idea of how it is being done. Am not sure if its a 3M product tho'.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 2nd April 2014 at 11:59.
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you just get one of those tank guards? Cost about 1-1.5K and will not look ungainly or get dull/opaque/yellow with age annd sun exposure either.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 13:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Apart from installing the 3M PPF, you can also apply a tank pad.

These come in various designs and colors.

Check out these links for more info:

Search on eBay and you'll find a lot more.

I had installed a motografix tankpad on my bike back in 2010 and it's still going good. Does not peel off or fade.

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd April 2014 at 13:49.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 23:43   #5
BHPian

Re: Protecting motorbike tank from scratches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Apart from installing the 3M PPF, you can also apply a tank pad.

These come in various designs and colors.

Check out these links for more info:

Search on eBay and you'll find a lot more.

I had installed a motografix tankpad on my bike back in 2010 and it's still going good. Does not peel off or fade.
I've looked at tank pads and feel that they're too narrow to protect against the wide area of the tank. I wear a leather jacket with zippers and that really has the potential to screw up the paint. The temporary cellophane tape is completely scratched away and I can't imagine doing that to the paint.

I'm looking at some vinyl on ebay. I'll apply that and let you know the results.
Old 7th April 2014, 23:47   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I wear a leather jacket with zippers and that really has the potential to screw up the paint.
Why do you wear a leather jacket.

If it is for protection then I am thinking it's too loose to be of help.
Because if it fits you tight and secure then the zips may not be able to reach the tank!
Old 8th April 2014, 09:01   #7
Team-BHP Support

Yup, dedicated riding jackets have a cover to protect the tank from being scratched from the jacket's chain.

And leather jacket in Hyderabad weather...?

To answer your question, tank pads will help & almost all are of the standard size. Maybe, you can try to glue it in the reverse direction, i.e. wider one at the bottom, should help. If you get a neutral tank pad, it will sync with it. Take your pick http://performanceracing.in/Category...ap-covers.aspx
Old 8th April 2014, 12:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Why do you wear a leather jacket.
Two reasons. One, for protecting me in a fall. Two, to keep the stink of smoke off my dress. It isn't too loose, but maybe slightly now after losing all that weight. The jacket has a belt and buckles at the front, apart from just the zippers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
And leather jacket in Hyderabad weather...?
I do need to upgrade to a lighter and airy jacket sometime soon, but currently can't spend anymore $$. This is doing the job for the last 4-5 years so just continuing with it. On the TVS Victor, the tank was low enough to not be a bother.
Old 8th April 2014, 21:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

If you love your vehicle so much, then try multiple transparent tank pads or stick the tank pad inverted

http://www.planetdsg.com/keiti-wholl...00-p-1342.html
Old 9th April 2014, 12:07   #10
BHPian

A tank pad only protects the surface over which it has been applied and prevents the rider from accidentally putting on scratches on the tank.

But what about the rest of the area? The 3M paint protection film being a kind of plastic, will it not catch fire in the case someone uses your bike as a place to sit while smoking and drops the ash or cigarette on the tank?
Old 11th October 2014, 23:18   #11
BHPian

Called up at the 3M Andheri East outlet today to inquire and they do the PPF - Paint protection film for bikes too. It costs 459/- INR for a square feet of film as the salesman said over the phone. There was much commotion where I was but mostly he said he will not give me a bill for the same as their main domain is for cars only.

My only concern is that there shouldn't be any bubble formation or premature peeling. They come across as a reliable brand and hopefully I should have a trouble free experience.

Will do the needful for my new bike once I get delivery after a while but once I meet them in person and find the procedure satisfactory.
Old 11th October 2014, 23:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
As an interim measure, I applied normal clear tape of the 2" width kind which is doing the job of protecting the tank for now.
Cheapest and best is the 3M scotch tape which can last eons and comes off cleanly. The normal clear tape you have put will not come off cleanly after some time. Please replace it with scotch tape. only rs 75 will keep you happy for months/years.

I never used a tank guard sticker with the pulsar but 1500/2000 for a sticker is too high for someone like me who will only spend on safety and not on a sticker to sit on I can see how it adds to the look of the bike but that's just not worth it for me!

Last edited by phamilyman : 11th October 2014 at 23:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks