Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2006, 11:22   #1
BHPian

First bike suggestion for young blood (2nd year engineering)

Greetings,

I am not in to motor cycles. (Driven couple of them during college days, though friends scared to give !!). One of my family friends' kid got in to 2nd year engineering and young blood is rushing to own a new bike. His dad is against 'Pulsar' thinking it is too heavy or powerful for him and he said NO for that. What are the other options (best) in motor cycle segment for this kid? It should satisfy both kid n dad.

As I said, I am not much in to motorcycles and can't analyze much, your suggestions/ feedback is directly transferred to kids parents. :-)

thanks in advance
Old 10th July 2006, 18:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

If he's scared of the 'powerful' Pulsar, ask him to pick up something safe and less technologically advanced. An 80's bike, like say the RD 350, from Yamaha, would be a nice option. Just make sure you get a good disc brake up front...those 80's bikes had horrid brakes.
Old 11th July 2006, 00:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
If he's scared of the 'powerful' Pulsar, ask him to pick up something safe and less technologically advanced. An 80's bike, like say the RD 350, from Yamaha, would be a nice option. Just make sure you get a good disc brake up front...those 80's bikes had horrid brakes.

I think his dad would love it. Being from that period and all.

Seriously dont' think he would be fooled that easily. Spares are also hard to find for the RD. The mileage is not something his dad would be happy about.

If he's not going to buy the pulsar 'cos its "powerful" then ask him to try the 125cc range of bikes. The Victor GLX with its alloy wheels looks cool, so does the Discover and the Honda Shine isn't that bad either. They don't look bad at all and mileage is good too.

Last edited by TheCockroach : 11th July 2006 at 00:14.
Old 11th July 2006, 02:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

I had the same problem when I was in college. Dad said no for Yezdi/RD350/Enfield.

Yamaha RX-Z was the next best choice but the stupid yamaha dealer didnt want to sell it and start cross-selling the crux.

bought the lml adreno and then later on the pulsar 180.

LML graptor/beemer( I guess they are still in production)- many will suggest against. But I have owned a lml bike before and have also driven graptor. Designed by Ugolini of Italy. Superb road holding and handling with enough power reserves. FE is only average. large discounts available. The Dials are just mind blowing. Will satisfy both Dad and son alike.

Honda Unicorn- If brand image is a problem then look at honda unicorn. Technically advanced But looks suck and the rear wheel while doing its best is not in competition to the fatter rubbers out there. Honda name is enough to say about reliability. But sales have not been too good.

tvs apache- the newest entrant. The best tvs effort and completely built inhouse. Looks good and performs well too. WHIle half swear by it being the 150cc king, others think otherwise.

If the 150cc brigade is completely out of the picture then ask them to look at sub 150cc

suzuki zeus/heat
Yamaha gladiator
bajaj platina

I would suggest

LML graptor/TVS apache for 150cc
yamaha gladiator/ bajaj platina (100cc)

Last edited by devarshi84 : 11th July 2006 at 02:54.
Old 11th July 2006, 08:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

I had the same problem: Everyone told me 'dont go for a big bike right at the beginning, you might kill yourself'.

So I bought a nice second-hand bike with lesser cc, and ,looking at my riding style, in retrospect, they were kinda right about endangering myself.

I bought second-hand because I can later graduate to something bigger because by then I will have the experience to be able to handle one correctly.

If new bike is a must, then I would also suggest 125's to start off with because they are light and easy to handle. I must also mention that 125's on sale today look very stylish with alloy wheels and nice-looking graphics, and have decent power to back it up.
Old 11th July 2006, 11:24   #6
BHPian

125cc - Honda Shine or Bajaj Discover......there's also the new Hero Honda Glamour FI, which should be worth a look

150cc - Honda Unicorn, Bajaj Pulsar or TVS Apache

Honda - for brand name, reliability, refinement
Bajaj - for Value For Money, Goodies
TVS - for the latest product, which looks stunning
Old 11th July 2006, 16:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84

I would suggest

LML graptor/TVS apache for 150cc
yamaha gladiator/ bajaj platina (100cc)
Devarshi bro The Gladiator is 125cc.

Well i think your friend should buy Yamaha Gladiator for his son. Has the big bike feel, good FE,power,looks so that it would appeal both the father n son.
Another option is Discover. But I would suggest the Glady over the Disco
Old 12th July 2006, 01:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistakenguy
Devarshi bro The Gladiator is 125cc.

Well i think your friend should buy Yamaha Gladiator for his son. Has the big bike feel, good FE,power,looks so that it would appeal both the father n son.
Another option is Discover. But I would suggest the Glady over the Disco
what else did I say?

sub150cc
Old 12th July 2006, 03:06   #9
BHPian

150cc - TVS Apache (Nice young look, the college bike) or Honda Unicorn (Very Smooth, nice milage, overall superb bike)

120cc - Dont look more than the Bajaj Discover (Those who fail to go for Pulsar pick this, gives amazing FE too, the best looker in its class- Therefore with this bike u get both looks and milage)
Old 12th July 2006, 08:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

If his dad dont see TV much, Apache should be the next best thing to buy.
And its should be the Gladiator if its gonna be a 125cc.

p.s. Check teh July overdrive for a 125cc shootout.
Old 12th July 2006, 21:10   #11

"Dad dont see TV much" hahahaha. That was a good one.. Well, I suggest Apache. I am driving one and it isn't as heavy as pulsar.
Old 12th July 2006, 23:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishnsb
"Dad dont see TV much" hahahaha. That was a good one.. Well, I suggest Apache. I am driving one and it isn't as heavy as pulsar.
its handles very well. Looks good and wheelie friendly!
Old 24th January 2009, 18:38   #13
BHPian

Bajaj discover might be a good buy due to the fe , and fits in not too powerfull or heavy category as well .
Old 25th January 2009, 12:38   #14
BHPian

Apache RTR 160 all the way, after owning pulsar 200 ...I can compare the two and Apache definitely better, due to better build quality and reliability..
Pulsars . personally dont feel well built, and some parts on it look cheap while Apache's cycle parts impart a sense of quality.

My Preference order will be
1. Apache RTR 160 for its looks , handling and performance
2. Honda Unicorn, comfortable, quality and good all-rounder
3. Something less powerful: CBF Stunner or the Gladiator RS and SS
Old 25th January 2009, 14:46   #15
BHPian

@vikrut ,rahulsingh007
The thread is 2.5 yr old .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks