Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2022, 10:50   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: 2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,26,000 km & 20 years

The bike has been seeing only local action with grocery shopping or short rides with my daughter who is way more comfortable on the Bullet compared to the Interceptor.
I was contemplating on dropping it off for the annual service which I had skipped last year since the bike had hardly run 2k kms in the year before. The only issue I am facing is the uneven idle at times. The rubber hoses connecting the carb to the air filter and resonator box seems fine which makes me think that the carb needs cleaning which hasn't be done in years. I have been using the IFTEX Clean system which helps to an extent in smoothness.

The clutch plates feels like it is due for replacement as well. The lever is adjusted to its max now.

Apart from these, it is business as usual and it starts in 2-3 kicks with no choke after not being used for a week. Bike has run 1,25,700 kms and fuel efficiency is consistent at 26kmpl.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 10:33   #242
Senior - BHPian

re: 2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,27,000 km & 21 years

Done with the annual service at 1,25,900 kms.

I skipped the service last year since the bike hadn't run much. At one point of time, the bike would have run 5000 kms every year before the service. This time it had run just 3300 kms in 21 months.

The bike is also due for the fitness renewal in September and I wanted to get the service completed before that. Thankfully the paint on the tank and the side box is still in good state and the mudguard chrome too is in good condition. The rims have some chrome worn off, but I am not planning to re-chrome it and the since the exhaust pipe and muffler was changed last year, that is good as well. The only parts that look weathered are the crash guard and the rear carrier which is powder coated and which I will repaint down the line.

This service was the usual engine oil and clutch oil replacements. The brake shoes, air filter were in good condition. Sone fused indicator bulbs were replaced as well.

I had two issues, one of which is been there for years. The chain link hitting the bolt of the brake lever. Once, the chain link came off and the chain had come off as well because of the constant hitting on the bolt. The mechanic said if the chain is replaced to a non O-ring type, it will stop touching. That type chain is not available and I will have to wait for it to replace this, although the current chain is still good.
The idle speed was inconsistent since the last year and I was thinking it was because of the new BS6 fuel although I have been using a fuel additive every tankful since long. The mechanic had opened up the carb to clean it this time and he said the slide has developed some shake and needs to be replaced and recommended a new carb. I didn't fix and instead thought I will observe if the issue occurs now after the carb cleaning.

Got a new seat as well since the original one was as old as the bike and I had been changing the cover and adding some foam whenever required. The seat had some tears here and there and when the cover was removed, I noticed the plate was rusted on the sides and it didn't make sense using a new cover on it. Rao's seat shop is where I have been getting my seat work done always and I visited them and picked up a complete new seat that looks just like the original one the bike came with. Since the seat is new, when sitting, it feels like the old Bullet which didn't have the rider seat lower to the pillion. Feels different and good now.
Next is the rear tyre replacement which I have ordered online and is a Apollo ActiGrip. The existing tyre is 7 years old and is not fully worn yet , but has cracks on the sidewall. This must be the 7th rear tyre for the bike, although two of it were shared with my 500 when I had it.

The head gasket leak happens only after a long ride which the bike won't be seeing now since I have the Interceptor for that, hence I didn't ask the gasket to be replaced.

Once the FC is renewed couple of months from now , the bike is good for another 5 years until the next FC, in terms of documents. Mechanically, it is running just fine.

Last edited by tharian : 30th May 2022 at 11:01.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 12:01   #243
Senior - BHPian

@tharian, I've always liked the Electra's thin mudguard with stays, and wanted the same for my Classic 500. I doubt it'd be an exact fit. Does anyone make them for Classic 500?

I also like the guard you have on there, I remember seeing some pics of an EIMOR custom bike that had installed a light to blend in with the guard:

EIMOR Johnnie
https://www.eimorcustoms.com/custom-...Item-kko6dst71

Last edited by Gordon : 30th May 2022 at 12:09.
Gordon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 13:01   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
@tharian, I've always liked the Electra's thin mudguard with stays, and wanted the same for my Classic 500. I doubt it'd be an exact fit. Does anyone make them for Classic 500?

I also like the guard you have on there, I remember seeing some pics of an EIMOR custom bike that had installed a light to blend in with the guard:

EIMOR Johnnie
https://www.eimorcustoms.com/custom-...Item-kko6dst71
I guess you need to get it fabricated at a workshop. I don’t think these type of mudguards are available off the shelf now. Maybe get a used one and alter it.

I had a yellow glass fog lamp as well just like the one in the pictures, fitted on the crashguard for sometime. There is a picture of it from behind on page1.
This crashguard was initially only available on the Army Bullets. I got mine fabricated back then and still does the job as it was thick gauge metal that was used.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 16:24   #245
Senior - BHPian

Rear tyre replaced after 7 years and 20k kms. The old one was a CEAT GRIPP which did the job. It hadn't worn out fully, but had cracks on the side wall. Nearing 7 years and having acquired a cut in the thread once, I decided to replace it. Moreover the front tyre is relatively new and the 20 year Fitness is coming up soon and I wanted the wear and tear parts to be replaced.

The new tyre is a Apollo Actigrip R1 which I picked from Amazon for 2k. The thread design looks good and Im hoping it works as good as it looks.

Bike has hit 126000 kms finally and sees daily use as I use to pick and drop my kid from preschool. It performs as good as always.

The old tyre which still had thread left.
2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-5af7ad9c22424c28897fc5ef63bd681a.jpeg
2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-62473088b7c6477592126610e40d35c2.jpeg

New tyre looks good.
2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-50372380ae3a49a5b000c2dfbf2bbc4c.jpeg
2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-91c77329c6054bbdbe71285c4d9d11b8.jpeg

New seat, new tyres, fully Serviced for 20 years fitness.
2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-6f48460d478e4b8fab8c28455aebec92.jpeg

Nearing 1,26,000 kms.
2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-6283eff54d374d1c9414f8f9a5f067b6.jpeg
tharian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 15:10   #246
Senior - BHPian

A peculiar issue cropped up with the rear wheel. I had parked the bike after using it couple of days back and that was for around 15 kms. It has been raining every day here, but the bike is covered with a bike cover when it does.

This morning when I removed the bike from the center stand and rolled back, it would move a feet and the rear wheel then gets jammed. The weird part is that it moves forward and I went to a store nearby and got back with no issues. But when trying to roll the bike back, the same happens. My guess it is the brake shoe which is pressing against the drum for some reason when the wheel is rotating backwards.
The bike can be ridden for now and I'll probably get it checked at my mechanics when I go to get the saree guard installed for the FC inspection.

I have a feeling the brakes were adjusted too tight after the rear tyre replacement and that is affected the springs inside.
Old 6th August 2022, 16:33   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

I have a feeling the brakes were adjusted too tight after the rear tyre replacement and that is affected the springs inside.
I visited my mechanic and the issue was the brakes itself. One of the brake liner was worn out unevenly after the brakes were adjusted too tight after the tyre replacement
I did not realize it, but the brakes were touching when moving and it shaved off one corner off the liner and since the brakes were adjusted too tight, it kept catching when the bike was being reversed. New shoes were installed and the bike is at 1,26,070 kms.
Old 22nd August 2022, 13:56   #248
Senior - BHPian

Bike is all set for the 20 year FC inspection.

Instead of getting parts replaced or fixed at the last minute, I was getting stuff that required replacement over the last few months.
The front tyre and exhaust pipe/muffler were replaced last year. The rear tyre and seat were replaced in the last couple of months.

I put back the original handlebar which was the same type that came with all the bikes back then except the Std350. I had replaced it with a Std type flat handlebar after the first 3-4 years itself because of back pain during rides. The flat handlebar was perfect for long rides. Now since the bike is being used only in city and since the chrome is shiny on it, I decided to put it back. Replaced the kicker and gear lever rubber as well. I don't think the one on the gear lever was ever replaced.

The chrome on the bike is fine overall except for the rims. So decided not to touch anything in regards to painting or plating.

Bike has run 1,26,200 kms.
Attached Thumbnails
2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-2cbdbec518d74ee387a067b86d554c06.jpeg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-c51e73fa04c747d7974108f1f37ffddf.jpeg  

Last edited by tharian : 22nd August 2022 at 13:57.
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 11:31   #249
Senior - BHPian

As last minute touch ups, I got the carrier and the crash guard painted with the help of a spray can.
The agent I contacted, a very helpful and well mannered guy for a change who's contact I got through the RTO Agent thread, suggested that I get it touched up since one of the inspector, if it is him on the day, will object to it.
I was supposed to get it powder coated earlier, which slipped out of my mind and getting it done now would take time. My mechanic suggested getting it repainted without removing it from the bike. He did a good job in the process and saved a ton of time as well.
He asked me to get the IND number plate as well. I had it on the front and rear when the IND style plates came out first, but the rear was damaged few years ago when I got rear-ended and I had replaced it with another plate which I had lying around. Got a new one and fixed it behind as well.

Bike looks good overall and the inspection is due next week.
Attached Thumbnails
2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-336b7e54e43b42ba8529f6d93e9ab757.jpg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-e786b52f9b0946d4a003e66c8b00c79a.jpg  

tharian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 18:10   #250
BHPian

Quote:
As last minute touch ups, I got the carrier and the crash guard painted with the help of a spray can.
Bike looks good overall and the inspection is due next week.
Your Bullet looks like in mint condition. All the best with the registration renewal process.
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 09:59   #251
Senior - BHPian

So finally the FC inspection was done on the 9th of September and I am waiting for the RC now. Today is 20 years since I bought the bike and I wanted all the pending work I had planned to be completed.

I got the complete chain sprocket set replaced yesterday along with the primary chain. The primary chain as far as I remember was never replaced. The front sprocket was replaced for the first time around 25k kms ago and the rear sprocket earlier to that. Although this time, neither sprockets were actually worn or teeth broken, I got it replaced since the chain link was hitting against the inside nut of the brake lever and this was happening for many years. Now finally after the chain and sprocket replaced, that noise is finally gone and more importantly, I don't have to worry about the chain snapping which has happened twice because of the link touching that bolt.

Bike has run 1,26,200 kms and easily good to go until the next FC in 5 years.

Last edited by tharian : 13th September 2022 at 10:01.
tharian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 08:36   #252
Senior - BHPian

Got the renewed FC last night. The details on the card ( no more paper slips) were correct. However, the agent I went through said that there was a discrepency in the RTO records saying the date of registration was 2007 and not 2002 and because of that I have another two more FC renewals left instead of one. Since they knew it is some data entry mistake on their part, they went with the date on the RC. Now as per him, it is 15 years + 5 + 5 + 4 which adds up to 29 years. I haven't heard of this and hence didn't buy it fully. Hopefully I don't have any issue when I go for the next renewal 5 years down the line.
Attached Thumbnails
2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-70bf94ceeda142f1a3ea7977a192f604.jpeg  

Last edited by tharian : 13th October 2022 at 08:37.
tharian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 14:28   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got the renewed FC last night. The details on the card ( no more paper slips) were correct. However, the agent I went through said that there was a discrepency in the RTO records saying the date of registration was 2007 and not 2002 and because of that I have another two more FC renewals left instead of one. Since they knew it is some data entry mistake on their part, they went with the date on the RC. Now as per him, it is 15 years + 5 + 5 + 4 which adds up to 29 years. I haven't heard of this and hence didn't buy it fully. Hopefully I don't have any issue when I go for the next renewal 5 years down the line.
I think it's in your best interest to get the record discrepancy sorted, at the earliest. If you can spare some moments, you can visit the RTO and check with officer to have it sorted, or can approach via another RTO agent.

Sometime back I renewed the RC of my UG1 Pulsar by visiting the RTO. Since yours is just a case to update the records, you can easily bypass the field agents and directly check with RTO.

The procedures can be started from the parivahan.gov.in site
Majumdarda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 19:09   #254
Senior - BHPian

So the bike has run 1,26,500 kms and has been different since the chain sprocket set along with the primary chain were replaced around 300 kms back. Soon after it was replaced, the bike never felt the same in terms of acceleration and smoothness and add to that the feeling of engine loosing power when doing speeds above 65-70 kmph.
I took it for a spin on airport road hoping the chain would loosen after some good speeds and get better, but it felt extremely tight to the extent that the bike wasn't coasting freely either, and riding with a pillion made it feel like the engine was always climbing an incline which I think added to the engine losing power. I finally got the chain loosened which made the ride much better, but the first-gear acceleration was still felt jerky and now there was a noise from the chain hitting the chain guard when de-accelerating. When I checked the chain after another 100 kms or so, the slack was quite a bit. I got it tightened again a notch and have to check if things have improved. Like everything else on this bike, new parts take a while to set in.

The other more important niggle was the engine losing power when riding around 70-75 kmph for a while. There is no engine knocking, no bearing sound, no unwanted noise from the engine at all. I checked with my mech if it was the engine saying goodbye, he said the engine oil is good, there is no oil in the exhaust, and no unwanted noise from the engine which means the engine is still good. I remember the same issue on my CI 500 when I used to do rides on it, but that was due to overheating and knocking which results in losing power. On this, it felt like seizing which again the mech said if it was, the engine would make noise even when idling.
This seems to be one of those issues which in the end will be a simple fix or part. Anyway, I will keep a watch as I ride more as I don't intend to open the engine just to check this and the bike doesn't see highways now to be worried about any failure while riding.

I also need to stock up on the bore and piston for this as it is getting difficult to procure as per my mech.

Last edited by tharian : 10th November 2022 at 19:12.
Old 12th November 2022, 11:42   #255
BHPian

Quote:
I remember the same issue on my CI 500 when I used to do rides on it, but that was due to overheating and knocking which results in losing power.
Cleaned the carburetor and fuel tank on my 2002 Electra last month. After all these years, lot of muck had accumulated although mine has done only 26K till now.
Off late, I have observed knocking when releasing clutch on inclines and at slow speeds in 2nd gear sometimes. I use HP Power Petrol. What do you think I should look at?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks