Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2015, 12:07   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Electra: 1,18,000 kms & 16 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Did you get the original RE foam or foam from the seat walla?

I had exactly the opposite problem for Doppie last time I asked a local mechanic to change her seat cover. When he brought her home I was mortified to see that he had used the 350's ribbed one and not the stock 500 plain one. I cannot stand attitude which lacks even basic attention to detail.

P.S. Doppie still has that seat cover on.
It was a off the shelf packed one and had a RE stamp on it. Can be one of the OE suppliers.There were two sizes,this was the bigger one in thickness.
Apart from the seat cover, happy with comfort and height of the seat. I didn't want that old school bench seat look.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Replaced the chain today which was to be done along with the sprocket change few months back. On the last chain tightening ,the chain was sagging at certain spots .
Much better now with less chain noise and smoothness.
Old 15th July 2015, 10:16   #47
BHPian

@Tharian - thanks for your private message. As suggested am going to take the test drive of 2011 silver electra today. Hope it turns out well. keeping my fingers crossed. shall post pictures after the drive.
Old 15th July 2015, 18:17   #48
BHPian

Hi Bullet-gurus. So, i did a test drive of the vehicle. It been modified from the standard showroom version. pictures below.
Few points i felt:
* 2011 Electra, Silver colour, 20005Kms done - looks nice.
* Silencer has been changed - Can someone tell what kind of silencer is this?
* Seat has been changed - Very comfortable compared to the stock ones.
* Self Start not working
* Pick up was OK. ON checking the spocket had some broken tooth ends. It would need replacement.
* Tail light not working
* Rear tyres are new. Front tyres need a change after maybe 1000kms.
* Front breaking is poor. INfact i thought the discs were not breaking at all. The breaking distance at 40kmph was like 2 meteres are full depression of break.
* Battery box shows a lead. he said, he had cleaned it up and charged it. It was not used for 2 months.
* can someone find from the photo if the engine has been opened?
* Rearview mirrors have been removed. i need them (both of them)
* No crash guard - but thats ok with me.
* Did not drive at >60kmp. Am more of a lazy driver than trying to hit high speeds. Like my steady 60 -80 kmph range.
* The thump was excellent due to this silencer. No smoke coming out. No water droplets.
* the swing arm balancing was incorrect. it was on the fourth ridge on the left aide (sitting facing the rear tyre facing the tail light) and 5th on the right side. what does this mean?
* Minor things like - small dents on fuel tank, the chrome on the head lamp, Intigator light on left not working, brake switch for rear tail lamp doesnt have the connecting spring from the break pedal, rear foot rest is not there.

Had started with 75K, as i think i would need to spend atleast 10K on this. The seller is asking 85K.

Experts - is it really worth this? please suggest.
Attached Thumbnails
2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-batteryboxcarbfueltap.jpg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-engine.jpg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-silencersprocketseat.jpg  

Old 16th July 2015, 10:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Had started with 75K, as i think i would need to spend atleast 10K on this. The seller is asking 85K.

Experts - is it really worth this? please suggest.
FuelInjector mate looking at the issues you have listed down and the overall condition of the bike it is better to steer clear of it. This motorcycle looks like a "bits and part motorcycle" where different parts from different motorcycles have been plonked into it(for example the seat is from a Thunderbird). The same way how we see the so called Vintage Bullet models G2 and B1 sold as "genuine vintage" motorcycles with a price tag above 1 lakh. I hope you get my drift...

Considering you buy this used motorcycle for 75K and spend another 10-15K on it, the total cost would come up to around 90K. In my honest opinion such a price is not worth it for the motorcycle you have mentioned. It is better you save some money for another 3-5 months and buy a brand new Standard UCE or Electra UCE as per your choice. If I were you I would save up for 3-5 months and buy a brand new RE Electra UCE or Standard UCE.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 11:15   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
FuelInjector mate looking at the issues you have listed down and the overall condition of the bike it is better to steer clear of it. This motorcycle looks like a "bits and part motorcycle" where different parts from different motorcycles have been plonked into it(for example the seat is from a Thunderbird). The same way how we see the so called Vintage Bullet models G2 and B1 sold as "genuine vintage" motorcycles with a price tag above 1 lakh. I hope you get my drift...
Thanks navin. i too felt the same when i saw that ad and when i saw the machine. However when i rode it, it was a great vehicle. ride and handling was superb. Thats what is making me tend towards this one.
Most of the bullets in coimbatore are modified (silencer/seats/horns/crash guards). Was thinking that till the basic mechanical and electrical parts are fine, felt i can bargain on the price.
Old 16th July 2015, 11:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks navin. i too felt the same when i saw that ad and when i saw the machine. However when i rode it, it was a great vehicle. ride and handling was superb. Thats what is making me tend towards this one.

Was thinking that till the basic mechanical and electrical parts are fine, felt i can bargain on the price.
Mate my advice to you was based on the description you provided. The points mentioned below will make a buyer like me steer clear of such a bike:
1. Self Start not working (If this is a major issue then you will end up spending 7 to 10K to replace it)
2. Tail light not working (Why did the owner not change this, the taillight bulb costs peanuts)
3. Front breaking is poor. INfact i thought the discs were not breaking at all. (Very dangerous and shows the owner does not care for the motorcycle. If you are looking at repairing it then be ready to spend as it looks like a brake calliper or brake pads issue)
4. Front tyres need a change after maybe 1000kms (New front tyre would cost you about 1.5K)
5. Battery box shows a leak (Again an example of negligence by the previous owner)
6. Rearview mirrors have been removed (example of negligence by the previous owner, new mirrors would cost any where between 400-600 bucks)
7. The swing arm balancing was incorrect (Was it involved in an accident, this looks serious and why did the owner not rectify this.)
8. Small dents on fuel tank, the chrome on the head lamp, Intigator light on left not working, brake switch for rear tail lamp doesn't have the connecting spring from the break pedal, rear foot rest is not there. (Loads of electrical issues with this bike and other miscellaneous parts which will add up to the repair costs)

I have bought 4 used RE motorcycles in the past but those days the price quoted was in the range of 40-60K. I believe if one is spending more than 80K + 10-15K set apart for repairs and maintenance (Total 90-95K) for a used RE motorcycle then it is better to go for a new one unless you are adamant on buying the CI's which commands a premium in the used market. I hope you get my point. At the end of the day it is your call.
Old 16th July 2015, 15:31   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Mate my advice to you was based on the description you provided. The points mentioned below will make a buyer like me steer clear of such a bike:

I have bought 4 used RE motorcycles in the past but those days the price quoted was in the range of 40-60K. I believe if one is spending more than 80K + 10-15K set apart for repairs and maintenance (Total 90-95K) for a used RE motorcycle then it is better to go for a new one unless you are adamant on buying the CI's which commands a premium in the used market. I hope you get my point. At the end of the day it is your call.
Thanks Navin. Have taken your advise. Called up the seller and have declined his offer. Am now dialing the showroom number ...
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 15:37   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Navin. Have taken your advise. Called up the seller and have declined his offer. Am now dialing the showroom number ...
Mate I am glad that you took a good decision. Let us know about your buying decision and shortlisting of the motorcycle once you do the booking. Looking forward to it. All the best and happy choosing.
Old 17th July 2015, 06:37   #54
BHPian

Hi all. Last evening me and my son went to RE showroom in avanashi road Coimbatore. The staff Mr. Balraj was a good sales person. Had asked for classic 350. He immediately asked me to test it. Both me and my son went on it and loved it. We were almost going to book when he asked us to test a bullet 500.
He said even if we don't buy, just have a drive for the feel of it. Ok said we and took it up. It was peak traffic hours 6pm. Did a kick start and the engine roared to life. Was worried about how it would move in heavy traffic. Too many buses coming into the city etc. the bullet was superb. The seating position, manoeuvrability, pick up for quick overtaking, stability while taking u-turns..
Already we had a smile on our face. When we returned and parked we knew what we were buying. So we have booked a bullet 500 forest green.
Thanks to all who helped us with it. As a parting shot, a pic of the actual bike that my son wanted... However we are not getting that 😀2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-imageuploadedbyteambhp1437095238.582622.jpg
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 20:24   #55
Senior - BHPian

Got the itch do a ride few days ago since the last one was more than a couple of months ago and I needed a break from the routine. What better way to do that than hitting the saddle.

I was all praises for the lakh kms crossed engine which delivered much better than what my less than half a lakh kms run 500 did when I had it.

I was able to keep the same speeds as my 500, no overheating or unwanted sounds from the engine, ultra smooth and better mid range due to reverting to the stock muffler.
The silent exhaust made the ride a bit boring though, but it was made up by the better engine response.

The onward trip was a 150kms expressway ride in which I was surprisingly doing good speeds which I later realized when I checked the speeds on the GPS and it was 5 over than the speedo which was actually the same speeds I used to cruise at in my 500 which was good since I didn't miss my 500 any more on rides.

The return, I decided not to take the expressway and instead took inside village roads all the way back. Most of the places, there were no roads and other times I ended up in a village backyard with the ladies staring like I fell from the sky and took that road.

The plan was to ride along the railway line from a place called Patchur which is on the Krishnagiri-Vellore stretch of the Golden Quad. The railway is the one that runs from Bangalore via Kuppam to Jolarpet and being a train buff, i wanted to see some trains in the bargain, of which I saw just two all the way.

But in turn I was treated to some scenic places with hardly any people around or traffic. Most of the bridges on the line were built by the Britishers and these places felt so remote even now, I wonder how they built it more than a 100 years ago.

My saving grace was Google maps and a portable charger . The road from Patchur ends up at Kuppam which is in Andhra from were either the Kolar Gold Fields route can be taken which is what the navi indicated or a route along the line again to Bangarpet which for some reason the GPS didn't suggest which I got to know why after I took that road.

This stretch was around 35kms and were mostly narrow unpaved roads that connected villages. I would have never reached home before dark if I had to ask people around since one- there were none around and two- these roads had absolutely no boards or indications.
After some off roading and shocks bottoming out, reached a backyard of a village and found the main road which took me to Bangarpet which is a big town.
From there on , it were known roads and since being a holiday, traffic was on the low side and I was trying to beat the rain which I could see was beside me and I was actually riding next to it dry.

Must say, the Cast iron gets better the more it runs.
I had replaced the air filter as well last week which made the bike much more responsive. Gear shifts were butter smooth with no false neutrals.
I have crossed 5000 kms after the lakh and it hasn't felt this smooth as it has before. Zero oil leaks and still feels new.

Some pictures which I couldn't resist from stopping and clicking.
Attached Thumbnails
2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-img_20150718_164659.jpg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-img_20150718_153440.jpg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-img_20150718_145757.jpg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-img_20150718_143225.jpg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-img_20150718_134941.jpg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-img_20150718_120527.jpg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-img_20150718_112531.jpg  

tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 14:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

Dates and odometer milestones are a big deal for me and yesterday marked the 13th anniversary or birthday of my bike's purchase.
I had purchased it on a Fri the 13th , 13 years ago.

The bike has run 1,06,000 kms till date and due for a service. I had decided after the last service to reduce the interval from 5k kms to around 3.5k or 4k kms. Now I have crossed that and there is a certain amount of roughness to the engine. Adding to that , usually when the bike is due for service, there are times when the firing misses twice and the engine turns off. It normally happens is low speeds and starts after in one kick. This has become more frequent now. No oil smoke from the exhaust yet.
The rear tire needs replacement as well which I will be doing this week. It is a MRF Meteor which has run so much on my 500 as well as my 350, that it has become flat and spoiling the ride and comfort, but still has enough thread which is why I kept pushing it.

Gave the bike a good wash for the occasion and took for a short spin on the outskirts.

Could anyone also suggest a good 19'' rear tyre. I have tried CEAT Secura Sport which sadly is not made anymore. Don't want the plain MRF Nylogrip.

The first picture was taken more than ten years ago and probably when the odometer was around 20000kms.
Attached Thumbnails
2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-img_20150115_1053462.jpg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-img20150913wa0043.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 14th September 2015 at 14:15.
Old 14th September 2015, 14:46   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Could anyone also suggest a good 19'' rear tyre. I have tried CEAT Secura Sport which sadly is not made anymore. Don't want the plain MRF Nylogrip.
tharian mate your Electra looks immaculate. This is the most underrated motorcycle from the RE stable. I have always liked it among the other RE models especially the silver colour. Coming back to the rear tyre options. I was in the market last year to buy a rear tyre for one of my Standard Bullet. I searched a lot but couldn't find decent options and ended up buying the ubiquitous MRF Nylogrip. Some of the options I came across were Ceat Milaze(albeit in 3.25 size only), Ralco Durasport/Tornado3, newly introduced TVS Tyres model ATT350, Duro HF261A BLVD, etc.

All the above listed tyres were unknown to me except for Ceat, but it came in 3.25 size only. Left with no option I went ahead with the tried and tested MRF Nylogrip. I have used Duro HF261A BLVD rear tyre on my AVL Tbird, it came with the motorcycle when I bought it second hand where the previous owner had installed it. The tyre per se didn't give me any problem but I had to change it, as it had very little life left in it, again went ahead with MRF Nylogrip. I am not sure if Michelin manufactures a tyre in 3.50 19 inch size in India.
Old 14th September 2015, 16:06   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
tharian mate your Electra looks immaculate. This is the most underrated motorcycle from the RE stable. I have always liked it among the other RE models especially the silver colour. Coming back to the rear tyre options. I was in the market last year to buy a rear tyre for one of my Standard Bullet. I searched a lot but couldn't find decent options and ended up buying the ubiquitous MRF Nylogrip. Some of the options I came across were Ceat Milaze(albeit in 3.25 size only), Ralco Durasport/Tornado3, newly introduced TVS Tyres model ATT350, Duro HF261A BLVD, etc.

All the above listed tyres were unknown to me except for Ceat, but it came in 3.25 size only. Left with no option I went ahead with the tried and tested MRF Nylogrip. I have used Duro HF261A BLVD rear tyre on my AVL Tbird, it came with the motorcycle when I bought it second hand where the previous owner had installed it. The tyre per se didn't give me any problem but I had to change it, as it had very little life left in it, again went ahead with MRF Nylogrip. I am not sure if Michelin manufactures a tyre in 3.50 19 inch size in India.
I haven't heard of most of them either.

I was thinking of Dunplop JAP in 3.50 size. That was the tire my bike had from the showroom but wore out quite fast and locked up very easily. Not sure if they are the same now .
I guess I will visit few roads this week and check for options.

The good thing about MRF is that they last quite long but becomes hard and feels as though the bike shocks are shot.
Old 15th September 2015, 22:00   #59
BHPian

13 years of togetherness ! I can imagine the bond between you and your bullet (and it shows by the way you have maintained it) when I look at my experience with my machine for the last 4 years. Congratulations and way to go
regards Arun
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 12:19   #60
Senior - BHPian

Finally got a good rear tyre as replacement for the existing over-run MRF Meteor.
I was looking for CEAT since I had the best experience with the Secura Sport which is no longer made in 3.50 size. Instead got a CEAT GRIPP 3.50 .
I am yet to get it fitted and try it out.

Looking at the block pattern, it looks like a good off/on road tyre, but need to see how the wet grip is.
Attached Thumbnails
2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-img_20151003_125625.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks