Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2014, 15:53   #16
BHPian

@joe : it's actually the reverse . The Carb version gives more mileage than the EFI.
Old 27th June 2014, 20:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles

Right you are girishar. The new B500s do not have the stickers. I had gone to the showroom this afternoon and was quite surprised by this vacant look. The place looks so void and its right there at the center of the entire motorcycle, from both side views. Do not know what does the RE design team think about it. But yes, the Brake Pedal Rubber is a standard fitting thankfully.
Old 28th June 2014, 01:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

Someone mentioned something about some dreadful stories about the RE's fuel injection. I have not heard of any for well over a year now.
There was a mapping problem when the fuel injected Royal Enfields came out in 2009.
That was corrected and the company remapped any Royal Enfield that was brought in to their service centers for free.

The fuel injector, pump and Electronic Control Unit that controls the ignition timing and the fuel injection system are made by Keihin in Japan.
Keihin is one of the premier companies making fuel injection systems and their products are used in millions of automobiles and motorcycles (like Triumph).

If I can think of one bad thing to say about the company or its product as used on a Royal Enfield it would be the computer is virtually unreachable to the average person who might want to try remapping it. Special interfaces and logic were designed into it to allow only company authorized interfaces.

As for reliability, the fuel injection on my Royal Enfield has been 100 percent dependable for over 3 years and 24250 km.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 28th June 2014 at 01:23.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 10:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

congrats Bhaiyajji on your new bhaiyajji bhullet.

Hows the seat comfort. For some reason alot of bullet owners go in for the customized seat at the local seat shop. Is the original seat uncomfortable or is it just that going in for a split seat makes it look better in the aesthetics department.
Old 28th June 2014, 11:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Hi:

Let me be the first one to congratulate you. Recently this RE thing has bitten me and I am finding it difficult to understand which one to go for. I have not take any test drive yet, I will be going this weekend. Most likely it would be 500 and not the 350.

When it comes to 500, there are standard 500, classic 500, TB 500. I understand that the TB500 is the more recent and modern version of RE. I want the retro looks which
the TB does not have which might go against it.

Now among the 500 versions, I think I read there is a carb and non-carb version?. What would be the difference?.

I just want to go for the one that would give the best ride quality, the one that's agile to drive and not too heavy to handle/park and the one that might give me the least problems. Retro looks are important but can come secondary to ride quality and reliability.

What would you suggest?.

Thanks.
Thanks drvhplyevraftr. Ride quality is similar in all Bullets, except in the thunderbird and the Conti GT where riding position and seats are totally different. As for reliability again the bikes are from the same family so its all the same. I have mentioned a few key differences between the FI and the carb in my openeing post, have a read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Firstly congratulations on your BULL>. Like the way its just standard, black and mean.

Only thing i would advice is to see if you can upgrade to the Brembo they have in stock for the GT. Those brakes are the best i have ever seen in Indian bikes costing less then 2L

I would definitely upgrade them in a jiffy if they are available for the money you spend is totally worth it. Those GT front brakes are SUPERB.

No second thought on a 500. The 350 is great but the 500 has its own way on the streets. I would pick the least electronic invasive version of the 500. It needs to run basically on basics of ICE. Like the cast iron engine i mean

Ride quality will be harsh and the standard set up suits few while you may need to work on the handle bars and seats to suit your comfort.

Reliability ...They are usually reliable but when it breaks down its just not a happy thing to find the root cause. The CI ones are fairly basic that i know whats not working and after learning to understand the wiring i am far more comfortable to take the CI out anyway.

For the money you are going to spend on the 500, why not look at the HD 750. Its costlier for sure but when you go EMI route the difference is may be 1500rs a month but you get a better bike in all possible ways
thanks VW2010, While i'm sure the brembos will rock, the cost of installation and purchase will set me back by the price of a 100 cc motorcycle. And as much as i like the Street 750, i would add that the cost difference will be a lot lot higher than the just the EMI's suggest. Oh and the bikes forest green not black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Congrats on your Enfield.Looks awesome!Yeah an aftermarket silencer will certainly make you feel a lot better

What kind of silencer are you planning to put?

Also that cream coloured Enfield in the background in the first picture does look quite nice.

I've never ridden the carbed UCE 500.But I have ridden the C500 extensively.Absolutely in love with it.I mean my regular ride is an '83 Deluxe,compared to that,its so much quicker.The TD's will speak for themselves though.Don't be hesitant to bug their asses off for TD's of all the bikes before arriving at your decision.

+1 to this.Unless you're adamant about owning a bullet.There are a fair few other bikes to choose from.
thanks buddy. Will decide between a goldie or a short bottle. But will stick to stock during long rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Congratulations on your purchase!
The bike is quite a looker.. Will look forward to your updates here.

Cheers,
Sam
Thanks Samarth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Abhi, when do we get to see you getting your knee down on a corner on this one?

Would like to ride the mcQueen again once the running in is completed to explore the full potential of the bike.
Hahaha..trying a knee down will bring down a lot of things on the bull sachin. Yea give it a spin once mcQueen finished the running in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Hello Brother,
Congratulations and we can definitely meet someday. Let me know if you are in Pune so that we can catch up.

I see that you have pasted the AXO (left) and Dirt Shop (Right) stickers.
Did you intentionally remove the RE stickers from the tool and air-filter box or was it not supplied to you?

Air Filter Box Assembly with Sticker (Forest Green) : 880004 [part number]
Sticker - Carburetor Cover : 584005/A [part number]

Also I think Rear brake pedal rubber comes as stock (i will check with Amun-Ra) : Confirmed, it comes as stock.
Brake Pedal Rubber : 144886/C [part number]

Regards,
Hey buddy, we must meet up most definitely. PM me your number and I shall connect. When I went for delivery i was bugged about finding the stickers missing on both sides, but I was told the new one's do not come with it. And like you said the place looked void and I had to have something there and hence the decals. I noticed during the first service that the other B500's did have the brake pedal rubber, guess RE Bandra did not want to give mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Congos for the load lugger or should I say a locomotive.One thing that i like of the 500 (efi/carb) is it pulls,and it keeps on pulling.Am in a look out of a decent load lugger and the 500 seems to fit my bill.Ever considering going for a short bottle OE silencer?My friend has one on his cl500 and sounds awesome.
Though I am in a dilemna-
1-Should I go for a carb or an efi?The throttle response of the efi is anyday better but the dreadful stories of the efi going Kaput is putting me OFF.
2-T bird,cl or the standard-
T bird-20 lit tank,modern gizmos,projector light,but alas its not a bullet.
cl-I would have If i was not married.The classic looks best in my opinion as a single seater.
B500-If it only came with an efi version as it meets all my criteria-powerful with a good pillion seat.

The story of the great confusion continues..................
Thanks buddy. The solution is simple. Choose your priorities for the bike and you will know which one suits you best. That's what i did.

Last edited by balenopower : 28th June 2014 at 11:20.
balenopower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 11:19   #21
BHPian

Congrats on your acquisition man! I think Royal Enfield Bullet is one of the best bikes in India. The kind of comfort it provides to you is unmatchable. Plus you tend to become the centre of attraction everywhere. It is sure to turn heads. There is a certain pride in being an owner of a Royal Enfield.

I had a Bullet electra from 2002 till 2007 and I really miss it till now. Planning to acquire another one but taking time due to other priorities.

All the best and congrats once again.

Last edited by JASMEET MATTOO : 28th June 2014 at 11:20. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 28th June 2014, 11:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
congrats Bhaiyajji on your new bhaiyajji bhullet.

Hows the seat comfort. For some reason alot of bullet owners go in for the customized seat at the local seat shop. Is the original seat uncomfortable or is it just that going in for a split seat makes it look better in the aesthetics department.
May all standard bullet owners curse you for calling it a Bhaiyyaji bullet.. Comfort is more important than aesthetics and the stock seats are quite nice for the moment.
Old 1st July 2014, 10:27   #23
BHPian

2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles

First service finally done. Not the happiest with the results. Pressure wash removed the petrol drain pipe off the carb and the brake pads after cleaning weren't aligned properly. Have them a piece of my mind and things were fixed in 5 mins. RE needs more service centres with a large area. It's only after buying that I have realised the number of RE's on the road are overwhelming even though it's has a fat price tag. Will get the free services done and post warranty head to more re known RE mechanics.

The bike though feels quite nice. It's smoother post the oil change and feels a lot better too. Finally I can do 80 kph and that's a big relief.
Old 7th July 2014, 22:47   #24

Congratulations on the purchase brother! The battle green does look great on the standard and McQueen? how did you come up with that, its quite catchy.

Just a suggestion bro, the decals/stickers (Dirt/AXO) on either side don't go with the bulls look - get rid of them if not absolutely necessary.

Cheers and happy thumping!!!
Old 8th July 2014, 07:53   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismail2512 View Post
Congratulations on the purchase brother! The battle green does look great on the standard and McQueen? how did you come up with that, its quite catchy.

Just a suggestion bro, the decals/stickers (Dirt/AXO) on either side don't go with the bulls look - get rid of them if not absolutely necessary.

Cheers and happy thumping!!!

Thanks Ismail. mcQueen because it's dedicated to the legendary Steve McQueen. The axo/dirt stickers will go once I get RE stickers.
Old 8th July 2014, 09:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
...The axo/dirt stickers will go once I get RE stickers.
I think you can have a look at the following site to get some stickers of your choice.

http://www.almosauto.in/motorcycle-a.../stickers.html

Recently I had inquired at the Brahma for the tank stickers for B500, and it was a whooping 1300 for a single piece (not pair)
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 12:25   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
I think you can have a look at the following site to get some stickers of your choice.

http://www.almosauto.in/motorcycle-a.../stickers.html

Recently I had inquired at the Brahma for the tank stickers for B500, and it was a whooping 1300 for a single piece (not pair)

Haha..gold lined stickers??
Old 8th July 2014, 18:58   #28
BHPian

since I had taken a chutti, decided to capture mcQueen with my camera since I hadn't really got the time yet. Here are some trigger happy snapshots.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-1.jpg  

2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-2.jpg  

2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-3.jpg  

2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-4.jpg  

2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-5.jpg  

2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-6.jpg  

2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-7.jpg  

2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-8.jpg  

2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-9.jpg  

2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-11.jpg  

Last edited by balenopower : 8th July 2014 at 19:05.
balenopower is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 19:33   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
since I had taken a chutti, decided to capture mcQueen with my camera since I hadn't really got the time yet. Here are some trigger happy snapshots.
amazing pics, timeless buy. waiting for the next one
Old 2nd August 2014, 13:12   #30
BHPian

About 890 km on the clock, mcQueen just did a fantastic ride to lake pavana. Even with a pillion the torque is ample. I'd say till a 100 the B500 is quite happy post which it starts expressing its discomfort by sending the rider quite a few vibes. The best part though is how easy it is to overtake vehicles even at speeds above 80 km/h.

A bunch of Bulleteers got together and made the best of pouring rains. Bad roads, crazy winds and a lot of water to wade through, RE's are made for this. It was a brilliant ride and I had a ball with mcQueen. Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-dscn1140.jpg  

2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-dscn1156.jpg  

2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-dscn1159.jpg  

2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-dscn1163.jpg  

2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-dscn1169.jpg  

2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-gopr4156.jpg  

2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-gopr4806.jpg  

2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-img_2021.jpg  

2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-img_2027.jpg  

2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-img_2037.jpg  

2014 Bullet 500 - The McQueen chronicles-img_2049.jpg