Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2014, 15:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield hires Pierre Terblanche - ex-Ducati designer

Here's how it is reported on royalenfields.com. The author is trying to read between lines, interesting.

http://www.royalenfields.com/2014/11...er-pierre.html
Old 20th November 2014, 18:50   #17
BHPian

Has been a long time since I visited TeamBHP. I wanted to write after Tamburini's death - but never got around to it.

I just read about PT this morning. PT's iconic design was the Supermono - it was simply stunning. Probably the most expensive Ducati these days if you wanted to buy one.

I had a 749R (arguably the best looking among the 749.999 series.) I simply could not come to terms with the way it looked despite being the best handling Ducati at the time. The 2004 model that i had even had full CF body work, top of the line Ohlins, adjustable rake and offset (the only bike that had this - if I remember you could choose between 32 and 36mm steering offsets) and came with a flatter rear shock linkage (I used to design and sell comparable ones for the 1098s)

Did not really like the 900ss - was too big a deviation from the classic the 900ss was. The sport classics were not great either. The original multi-strada was very bad but the newer ones are selling like hot cakes - people just love it. Hypermotard is very cool indeed.

It will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Although he was late Tamburini's protege the two did not really see eye to eye. The contrast in their design philosophies showed in their bikes. PT used styling ques from weird sources - like old steamies and stuff. At least that part looked hideous on the 999s. The underseat cannister was a contraption. I think this has been beaten to death..sorry to digress...

What would you guys like for PT to design? a cafe racer? sport bike? enduro?

Krishna
ksanjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 19:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanjee View Post

What would you guys like for PT to design? a cafe racer? sport bike? enduro?
A twin on the lines of Bonneville.

Should be a powerful one at that and of course priced sensibly and I will be in line and postpone my bike buying plans until then.
Old 20th November 2014, 19:12   #19
BHPian

Yeah..I would love something along the lines of Triumph Thunderbird Sport from the mid 90s (even with spoke wheels !)..k
Old 20th November 2014, 19:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

And I am still cribbing about an Adventure/Enduro! I would'nt mind a good package from RE.
Old 21st November 2014, 04:12   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not sure where Pierre Terblanche can fit in at Royal Enfield.

Yes, he has a number of motorcycle designs to his credit, some rather interesting, some very hideous IMO.

I think we have more than enough crotch rockets similar to Japans big 4 and exposed frame models like the KTM and Ducati machines. Competition in sales and on the track has already filled the market with hundreds of designs.

Actually, IMO, Pierre Terblanche really isn't needed at Royal Enfield although his advice would be welcome for a new design.

What is the "new design" I'm referring to? It's pretty simple and follows Royal Enfields traditional heritage.
They are already producing many of the needed components and gaining access to the original designs shouldn't be that large of a problem for them.

So, this new design would consist of the new frame from the Continental GT, beefed up and stiffened for the added power.

A parallel twin based on the old 750 Series Interceptor mounted on a Unit Construction Engine crankcase with a 6 speed transmission.

It would be a high torque engine with fuel injection capable of revving to 7,000 rpm and would produce close to 1hp per 100 cc at the crankshaft. That would be in the 60-65 hp range for a 650.

It would look very much like the Interceptor's from the late 1950's and unlike the new Triumph twins which are huge compared with the original Bonneville's, it would not be much larger than the existing Bullets.

It would have Brimbo disk brakes, both front and rear.

The wheels would be the traditional spoke design and although this would require the use of inner tubes, the rims would be designed to accept tubeless tire beads.

The new motorcycle would be offered in two configurations.
One, a highway model with a Bullet style fuel tank, a standard 2 passenger bench seat and Bullet style handlebars.
The other would be a Cafe model with short clip on handlebars, rear set foot pegs and a Cafe style seat with a fared-in rear.

Based on his designs, this does not fit in with the past creations of Pierre Terblanche. Hopefully, he will find something useful to do that won't damage Royal Enfield's rich, historical tradition.
ArizonaJim is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 00:14   #22
BHPian

Before they go off and build a twin, they need to build a better single. They need to make the stroke shorter and go square (GT is there at 87 x 90) and ditch the pushrods. 7-8k rpm would be nice but it isnt happening without a shorter stroke, OHC and balancer shaft. The GT is a great package and they need build on that momentum. Something benchmarked against the Honda GB500 would be nice, which itself was heavily inspired by British racing singles.
Old 24th November 2014, 01:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.vps View Post
As we discussed along, I brought up the question of a twin maybe a v-twin and he said: "The R&D team is working on a parallel twin"
I am told this is true. Also that the twin-tube cafe racer () frame will be the basis for most of the new Enfields.

Design should be the least of their worries, though. They need a powerful engine, a frame to match, and fit & finish that is at the very least ONLY a few notches below competition.

Those, and bikes that come out of the factory running well.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 11:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
They need a powerful engine
First they need to decide what they want to be.

Either a manufacturer of a modern living classic.

Or a manufacturer of a modern bike that looks like a classic but moves at par with the current crop.

They obviously decided some time ago against the first.

And up until now they are sucking pretty badly at the second.
Old 26th November 2014, 15:06   #25
BHPian

Found this from my archives - I did one track day at Thunderhill in California on the 749R - one of PT's creations..as you can see it is NOT a pretty looking bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield hires Pierre Terblanche - ex-Ducati designer-749r.jpg  

Last edited by ksanjee : 26th November 2014 at 15:07.
Old 26th November 2014, 15:11   #26
BHPian

Another pic of it in my office building.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield hires Pierre Terblanche - ex-Ducati designer-dsc00305.jpg  

ksanjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 11:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Enfield has already created its cash cows via the heritage, now it just needs to experiment a little with something that offers a more premium badge at slightly lower price than Harley and Triumph. There will be many takers for it - in fact HD may even feel the heat.
If you are talking about Indian market, as RE has factories in India they can give the 'more premium' bikes significantly cheaper than HD or Triumph. If RE can match both mechanical and build quality of its rivals its going to be a 'Royal Rumble'
joe_antony is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 19:13   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_antony View Post
If RE can match both mechanical and build quality of its rivals its going to be a 'Royal Rumble'
One more thing they have to manage - their service centers through out the country. From my experience till date, the service centers are incompetent to manage even a single cylinder motorcycle be it the diagnostic tools they use, their attitude towards customers or the training imparted to the mechanics. Believe me I have talked to mechanics who still refer to the brass screw in the CV carburetor as the air screw.
Another aspect is that these guys have no respect for the paint job. Even though the company advises to cover parts with shop towels and all, paint surfaces are being damaged by tools. So even if the company rolls out perfectly painted or chromed machines, we have these irresponsible block heads to damage the paintwork.

The company specifies chain play in the new bullets as 25 to 30 mm. Has any of you checked the free play of your chains after a free service ? No wonder that the teeth are being ripped off the sprockets.
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 27th November 2014 at 19:16.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 09:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Source: http://www.shifting-gears.com/2015/0...led-himalayan/
Quote:
Royal Enfield has applied for a trademark for the name ‘Himalayan’.
The brand has been working on new 400cc – 600cc motorcycles for the Indian as well as global markets. Recently, Pierre Terblanche, a very well known motorcycle designer joined Royal Enfield and chances are, the ‘Himalayan’ motorcycle could be the first product under his leadership.
The current crop, 350cc & 500cc motorcycles are found to be a little under powered compared to other retro-classics available globally.
Attached Images

rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 00:18   #30
BHPian

PT's design can be very polarizing. Unconventional and absolutely rivetting. I have been paying attention to PT's designs ever since I chanced upon this thread. The Hellcat is pure bling and not one of his best efforts, but this one - the Duc GT 1000 is a classic notwithstanding the huge gap between the exhausts and that huge gap between the rear wheel and fender. It shouldn't work but it does.

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/c...road-test.html

I think the Hypermotard is a stunning design. Except for the frontal view, the 749 featured above looks stunning too. There is something about the unconventional use of gaps or spaces that seems to characterize PT's design.

I am hoping PT gets the leeway to come up with something unconventional and ground breaking from his stint at RE. With the Continental GT, RE has shown they are willing to take risks. If there is anyone out there who can break the mold and come up with something that will put RE on the map, it has to be PT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks