Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2015, 16:27   #16
BHPian

Re: Japanese Tourer with comfy pillion seat: No replacement for the Karizma?

@Rajushankar : you've exactly echoed my feelings. I ride a 2008 Karizma and it's an experience beyond words. There are feelings that you can express and there are feelings that're felt in the heart; I experience such feelings when riding it, even in the maddening traffic from work to home
I'm also put off by uncomfortable seats and was not at all happy with the new Karizma design from HH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
My 2004 Karizma still does duty perfectly. Though I prefer my Harley for the lond rides, the Karizma is a great workhorse for city runarounds. And half the time my son has his hands on it now, lolz.

Attachment 1323939

Cheers...
That's one beautifully maintained Karizma. I searched but couldn't find that metallic Karizma logo anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Here's my Karizma R (2009 model)

Attachment 1324102

Michelin Sirac Street - Front:
Attachment 1324103

Michelin Sirac Street - Rear:
Attachment 1324104
Anurag : Now that you've mentioned Sirac street, how is the grip of the tyres? I went to a dealer to get Michelin M45 but realized it's no longer available and had to settle with Sirac street. The grip is nowhere appreciable and combined with Pune administrators' penchant for super-smooth roads I managed to escape alive after a couple of nasty falls.

@Raj : sorry for bumping in with my query. Here's my Karizma
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...et-beyond.html

Last edited by rav11stars : 6th January 2015 at 16:29. Reason: adding my Karizma pic's link :)
Old 6th January 2015, 16:42   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post

Anurag : Now that you've mentioned Sirac street, how is the grip of the tyres? I went to a dealer to get Michelin M45 but realized it's no longer available and had to settle with Sirac street.
I feel the grip from the Sirac street is good. No complaints till date, with almost 5K kms clocked on the Sirac street. Been a smooth sail some installation. The air pressure I maintain is F=30 psi and R=35psi

Prior to Sirac street, I had Michelin M45 - 4.00x18 (110/90x18) which created problem as it used to rub against the swingarm and never rotated freely. Hence got rid it of it.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 21:49   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Is there a true replacement for the old Karizma?

Am I in the minority, looking for good looks + comfy 2 seats + fast engine + Japanese reliability in one package?
No rajushank84, you are not in minority at all. Infact I am in the market looking for a similar setup, and one of the most important thing for me is 2 comfy seats. But Alas! manufacturers are busy rolling out track bred bikes for Indian roads targeting driver only buyers.

I mean, apart from RE, there isn't much choice left. Who on earth wants the pillion sitting on a roof behind you is beyond my understanding. R15 had a nice integrated seat in V1.0, but V2.0 is like pillion on a stool. Pulsar 200NS isn't far behind with saddle hieght. Honda CBR250 may be slightly better in comparison. No offence, but Karizma ZMR is like too much fibre over a puny setup.
So if a man/boy wants to drive with his wife/GF sanely on Indian roads and loves to own a naked sporty bike, no options. RE's are cruisers so its upto your taste. I am really confused over the options.
Old 7th January 2015, 02:29   #19
BHPian

Look no further and pick the ninja 650 or the ER-6N. It has got everything that you have asked for and much more.
Old 7th January 2015, 05:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Look no further and pick the ninja 650 or the ER-6N. It has got everything that you have asked for and much more.
Hmmm personally, I'm not sure about that. Well for starters, the price is way above what I was looking for (Karizma replacement?), if I could increase the price to that level I would close my eyes and go for the Triumph Bonneville, eyes closed. Also, the 650 seems to have sporty/upward-pointed high-elevated seats just like the CBR we discussed.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 14:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Am I in the minority, looking for good looks + comfy 2 seats + fast engine + Japanese reliability in one package?
I guess so, looks like we are definitely in the minority. I was going ga-ga over the Inazuma and even more so after its price cut. And out of the blue, it was just pulled out of the market. I guess if their initial pricing was right and with the right amount of marketing, it would have been a reasonable success. But still this debacle points heavily towards the kind of market India has become.

I guess Pulsar 375CS would tick some boxes (doesn't do a whole lot better on the pillion department). While am making do with the impulse 150 in the meanwhile, i believe a impulse 220 wouldn't be a bad bet too. If only wishes were horses
Old 7th January 2015, 22:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

A question on a related note to the bike gurus here - apart from the split seat and the sticker job, what are the other differences, if any, between the old Karizma shown in the 1st post of this thread, and that on the Hero Motocorp website? http://www.heromotocorp.com/en-in/th...arizma-43.html

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 7th January 2015 at 22:56.
Old 7th January 2015, 23:22   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
A question on a related note to the bike gurus here - apart from the split seat and the sticker job, what are the other differences, if any, between the old Karizma shown in the 1st post of this thread, and that on the Hero Motocorp website?
Older ZMA:
Power: 16.8Hp
Torque: 18.9Nm

New ZMA:
Power: 19.2Hp
Torque: 19.8Nm

Old: Rear tyre was 100/90x18
New: Rear tyre is 120/80x18.

Apart from the above the fairing and suckering change is what is noticeable.
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 23:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
A question on a related note to the bike gurus here - apart from the split seat and the sticker job, what are the other differences, if any, between the old Karizma shown in the 1st post of this thread, and that on the Hero Motocorp website? http://www.heromotocorp.com/en-in/th...arizma-43.html

Cheers,
Vikram
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Older ZMA:
Power: 16.8Hp
Torque: 18.9Nm

New ZMA:
Power: 19.2Hp
Torque: 19.8Nm

Old: Rear tyre was 100/90x18
New: Rear tyre is 120/80x18.

Apart from the above the fairing and suckering change is what is noticeable.
Mocking Metaphor:

Older ZMA = Legend

New ZMA = Steroid Job Gone Wrong

Jokes apart, I am facing the real world dilemma of which bike question with the same question as the OP.

Just as I had made up my mind to buy the Karizma / Inazuma both bikes have been murdered respectively. And the new Karizma, how much ever better the figures show on paper, the styling messed up the brand Karizma big time.
Old 8th January 2015, 10:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliontile View Post
I guess so, looks like we are definitely in the minority. I was going ga-ga over the Inazuma and even more so after its price cut. And out of the blue, it was just pulled out of the market. I guess if their initial pricing was right and with the right amount of marketing, it would have been a reasonable success. But still this debacle points heavily towards the kind of market India has become.

I guess Pulsar 375CS would tick some boxes (doesn't do a whole lot better on the pillion department). While am making do with the impulse 150 in the meanwhile, i believe a impulse 220 wouldn't be a bad bet too. If only wishes were horses
Count me in . Inzuma was the option I am tempted to buy one even though it will be stopped. Nija 650 pulls lots of attraction and can't parked anywhere just like that. Hope Suzuki listens and keeps it
Old 10th January 2015, 15:19   #26
BHPian

CBR250R owner here since last 3 years. CBR250R is a perfect long distance bike and ticks all the points that you made. It has a brilliant, brilliant engine and a gearbox combo. As soon as you hit 3.5k RPM, the torque kicks in and you can ride it any gear you want. It's absolutely marvellous on highways and the twisties. It can also effortlessly reach 140.

I've done quite a lot Mandi-Chandigarh, Mandi-Shimla and Mandi-Manali trips on the bike, and boy, was I glad that I chose this bike. While riding solo and in speeds of 70-80 kmph (above that not possible in Himachal), it also gives superb efficiency of 38-40 kmpl and while riding with pillion it gives around 32-35 kmpl.

There are only two problems with the bike :-
  1. The stock tyres are absolutely pathetic. Neither they have grip and nor life. But upgrading to either Pirelli Sport Demon or Michelin Pilot series solves the problem.
  2. The rear seat height is a problem for people over 40.

That's it. It has a service interval of 6 months/6000 km and it costs around ₹1500 for the services in which they don't change the air filter and ₹1900 for the services in which they change the air filter. This bike is one hell of a sports tourer.

Last edited by 0xTKB : 10th January 2015 at 15:21.
0xTKB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 17:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
My 2004 Karizma still does duty perfectly. Though I prefer my Harley for the lond rides, the Karizma is a great workhorse for city runarounds. And half the time my son has his hands on it now, lolz.

Cheers...
Dheeraj,
I thought you had already sold the bike

Still looking to sell it off?

Thanks.
Old 10th January 2015, 17:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
I thought you had already sold the bike
Nope. My son has got his hands on it now. And it serves the purpose for city runs. 👍
Old 26th January 2015, 11:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Any idea if Honda has plans to bring the CB300F to India? I think it will make a lot of sense to bring that bike, even more than the 250R IMO. Because of the upright riding position.
Old 4th June 2015, 15:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Karizma R is a classic bike. Even after it is being discontinued, the bike still looks fresh and with presence on road. It rides well, looks well and more than just owning a bike, the rider builds an emotional relationship with it.

I never would want to sell my Karizma. Bought in 2009, I haven't come across a bike, that will make me think all day about it.

When Karizma was launched in 2003, we all were mad about the bike. I was in school that time and always dreamt of buying it as soon as I turn 18 and enter college.

Those days!

I wish Hero will revamp the current Karizma into something which looks and feels more sensible just like the R model.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks