Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2015, 14:53   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification

So this time a 4 Stroke restoration on behalf of my friend and colleague. It was an unavoidable request after seeing my RX restorations.

About the Bike
Make : Bajaj
Model : Pulsar 150 Classic
Year : 2003
Color : Black
No. of owners : 1
Mileage : 53k

A little history
This bike was gifted by his (my friend) mother after graduation and he is so much attached to it. He pampered it like anything. Earlier days it was customized with engine scoop, "S" type (2 spoke) alloys, fancy horns, clip-on handlebars, etc. Once the fun is over, he rolled over to the stock spec. It was sometimes during Aug 2011 he left overseas for a short term assignment (3~6 months) leaving the bike completely covered in his apartment parking (he joined my organisation newly without much reliable friends here to handover the bike) But the assignment got extended for little over 1 year.

When he returned back, he found the bike keys were missing (or misplaced somewhere) Little (???) laziness and presence of alternate vehicle (Hyundai i10) postponed the idea of getting the duplicate keys or using the bike. Time passed and he forgot about the bike During end of 2014 he shifted to his new apartment. It was the apartment security who reminded about the bike. After a couple of weeks getting settled in the new house, he went back with a mechanic to get the bike. It was untouched for more than 3 years

Opened the lock with a duplicate key, filled some petrol and tried to start the bike but with least success. Pushed the bike to his garage (almost a km) and below is the list of work done
- Given a neat wash
- Flushed the fuel tank
- Cleaned the carburetor
- Spark plug replaced
- Battery replaced
- Ignition lock set replaced
- Brake shoes and pads changed

After all this, bike refused to start. Checked and found no current from the ignition coil. Replaced it and the bike started in few kicks.

Why Restoration?
On a lazy afternoon, we (along with some other colleagues) were at cafeteria discussing about my RX Cafe racer project. It was planned during the winter vacation (Christmas to New Year) but couldn't do as I left to Hometown and Kodaikanal. By this time he narrated the story of his Pulsar and said it has to be restored. I said, That's an easy business as the spares are easily available and pulsar being so popular any mechanic could do it. He is not so convinced to handover the baby in hands of some unknown mechanic and requested me to take up this project. I couldn't say 'NO' for a request from such a person. Finally got the bike on my hands a week back.

Some snaps
Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification-1.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification-2.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification-3.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification-4.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification-5.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification-6.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification-8.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification-9.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification-10.jpg

Restoration plan
This will not be a complete stripe down restoration as my RXs. Gearbox / crankcase will not be opened completely. Only necessary work on the engine will be done.
Items to be painted
- Frame
- Engine
- Tank & Shield (Not debided yet)
Part replacement
- Alloys, Head lamp, rear shock absorber & swing arm from UG2
- Clutch plate
- Chain sprocket
- All cables
- Brake fluid hose
- Foot pegs moved a little backwards along with gear shift lever & brake pedal (set up from P200)
- Clip-ons from UG4.5

Restoration will be done in stages (based on my leisure time) no specific timeline request from my friend. Most of the mod jobs will be DIY. Looking forward for suggestions and comments.

I need few suggestions for the modification
1) Head lamps
We are still in a dilemma here, whether to use the current Round doom or the latest type (with mask) Current lighting is insufficient sometimes (especially when the road is wet after a down pour) In any case I'm thinking of upgrading the bulbs to 12V 60/55W. Came across few post regarding Avenger 180 coils in Pulsar. Few queries here (posted in Auto Lighting thread as well)
- If we decide o go with round doom, which sealed reflector will fit inside the OE HL housing? (May be the one from Amby or Enfields?)
- Can the OE switches & harness take the load of additional wattage?
- Should the RR unit be changed

2) Swing Arm
Basic requirement is increased wheelbase. Is there a difference between UG2 Swing arm and other generation / spec (180/200/220) swing arms? If so, which is the best possible solution?

3) Alloy Wheels
Was there a difference between UG2 & later generation alloy wheels (especially the worm gear mounting area) Reason for this question is I came across a used alloy wheel set from Pulsar 200 in a decent condition and reasonable quote.

4) Tires
Many members here use R15 tire for front wheel. Please suggest which tires are better.
PS: Current tires were almost brand new (??? used for less than a couple of thousand km) but since the bike was in stand still condition for more than 3 years, I doubt their performance. Visually they are good and after using the bike for 300+km I don't see any issues. Are they 'OK' to use? Not in this bike, as they are 18" and the alloys will be of 17". Friend of mine is interested in using them on his Yamaha RX.

5) Sprocket
Was there a difference in sprockets between Classic & UG2? if so, please do list down the available sprockets for Pulsar family.

6) Foot pegs
Since we planned to shift the foot pegs a little towards the rear (with P200 set up) what are the other parts that should be changed along with? (other than the gear shift lever, brake pedal and the saree guard) I doubt the Silencer mountings (please confirm).

7) Clip ons
Are they (from UG4.5) direct fit on a Classic / UG2 forks assembly? What are the parts that need to be changed? (Top, LH & RH clip-ons, anything else?) Will it require the ignition lock set to be changed?

Last edited by GTO : 19th January 2015 at 15:00.
Mr.Boss is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 15:02   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorbikes Section!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 17:10   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

One more query, is there a difference in Gear Box / Gear ratio between the classic and later generation Pulsar 150? Or is it only the shift pattern got changed?
Old 19th January 2015, 19:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Love the Pulsars with the round headlamps. Good luck on the restoration.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 18:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally got a set of used alloys from a known and reliable source. Let me post the snaps soon.
Old 4th February 2015, 11:20   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Upgraded the head lamp with Ambassador reflector. This has the flexibility to switch from 12V 35/35W & 60/55W bulbs (when I go for Avenger coils) and better light throw.
Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification-img_8628.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification-img_8630.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification-img_8631.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification-img_8633.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification-img_8653.jpg
Old 4th February 2015, 12:19   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Forgot to mention about another update. Got CEAT Zoom series tires last night, based on the good experience with these tires on my friend's Pulsar.
Front : 2.75 x 17 Tube type (Jan 2015 Manufactured)
Rear : 100/90 x 17 Tubless (Dec 2014 manufactured)
Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification-img_8945.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification-img_8948.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification-img_8949.jpg

Rear assembly (along with swing arm, alloy wheel & new tire) was fixed to the bike last night, I'm yet to transfer the snaps from my mobile phone.
Old 11th February 2015, 12:00   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Failed to do the initial feasibility study properly. When we thought of moving the foot pegs rear wards with the latest bracket from P180 / P200 / P220, we checked the mounting feasibility and found everything is perfect match except for the exhaust mounting (which we had some make shift arrangement in mind) But we failed to check for the surrounding parts (especially the moving parts) and ended up buying all necessary parts and fixing them in bike. Finally the kicker is now fouling with the foot rest bracket Now we realized that none of the bikes with the latest foot pegs came with kicker (too late to realize, but better late than never)

Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification-img_9071.jpg

Scratching our heads to proceed further. Any suggestions on alternate kicker (from other bikes?) Mechanic suggested to bend the current kicker, but that will affect the leverage and I'm worried for the same (along with the durability / reliability)
Old 11th February 2015, 23:10   #9
BHPian

I had done similar mods to my P150 DTSi too.
You will have to bend the kick. Fix all the spares and the kick as well, and take the bike to a welder. He'll do it.

Let me find a photo, for I've sold the bike.

Last edited by motionfreak : 11th February 2015 at 23:18.
motionfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 09:00   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
I had done similar mods to my P150 DTSi too.
You will have to bend the kick.

Let me find a photo, for I've sold the bike.
This is what I am looking for. Your snap should make the job easier (to locate where to bend)
Thanks in advance.
Old 12th February 2015, 12:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Forgot to mention about another update. Got CEAT Zoom series tires last night, based on the good experience with these tires on my friend's Pulsar.
Front : 2.75 x 17 Tube type (Jan 2015 Manufactured)
Rear : 100/90 x 17 Tubless (Dec 2014 manufactured)
Where did you source the tyres from? I am looking to get 100/90 x 18 for my Unicorn. Didn't want to go for MRF. Michelin seems to be either tough to procure and I also read that they are made in India now by TVS (not sure though). I have used CEAT in my earlier bikes and they have been good. So any feedback on performance and price would be of great help. Thanks.
rr_zen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 13:59   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Where did you source the tyres from? I am looking to get 100/90 x 18 for my Unicorn.
any feedback on performance and price would be of great help. Thanks.
Got them from J.K Automobile - Tambaram Sanatorium
http://yellowpages.sulekha.com/chenn...ontact-address

I paid 1.4k for Front (Tire + Tube) and 2.1k for the Rear (Tire only)
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 10:34   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

After some trail & error and a little brain storming settled for Apache RTR kicker, without any modification.
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic - Restoration & Modification-img_9170.jpg  

Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 11:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Just the thread I need!! I have my 2003 pulsar which is unused from past 3 years as well as I was out of country. I was postponing the work until now. Thanks for starting this thread. I will follow this thread closely and hope to pick up few pointers!
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 13:29   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Just the thread I need!! I have my 2003 pulsar which is unused from past 3 years as well as I was out of country. I was postponing the work until now. Thanks for starting this thread. I will follow this thread closely and hope to pick up few pointers!
Expecting another thread on same subject very soon buddy.

BTW we are almost done with the mechanical parts upgrade / repair. Let me post the snaps ASAP. Phase 2 will be engine work and Phase 3 will be final painting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks