Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2015, 05:20   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
2. The not so easy one : Please don't stomp down on the shifter when the motorcycle is stationary.
This is the method I see 60% of rider use to reach 'N' from 4th or 5th gear when they are halted at a signal post switching OFF the engine.

They literally bang the lever with force and don't even care to rock the bike a bit for faster, easier and safer gear slotting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape velocity View Post
This, indeed, is a correct way to put the motorcycle in neutral.Not at all difficult to master.
Once you know that it is time to stop, downshift to 2nd or 1st gear. Once you are dead stop, come to N.

In cars, I keep the gear in N and also press the clutch when starting. Does decrease the load on the battery + starter motor. I follow this always for every crank. Can the same be followed in bikes equipped with ES?

Last edited by a4anurag : 9th February 2015 at 05:24.
Old 9th February 2015, 10:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield: Finding Neutral Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
In cars, I keep the gear in N and also press the clutch when starting. Does decrease the load on the battery + starter motor. I follow this always for every crank. Can the same be followed in bikes equipped with ES?
As a matter of fact the same practice should be followed on motorcycles with ES. The RE Thunderbird 500 owner's manual mentions this very starting process explicitly. It says:
1. Make sure that the motorcycle is in neutral gear
2. Press the clutch lever fully
3. Thumb the starter while giving a very mild throttle
4. Leave the starter button as soon as the engine fires up

Note: I have generally seen many of us riders not reading the owner's manual thoroughly/carefully. There are many points to ponder on and take note of from the owner's manual that will make ours as well as our motorcyles' or even cars' life easy. Ride Safe .

(a4anurag mate kindly note that this comment is not specific to you.)
Old 9th February 2015, 11:09   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Note: I have generally seen many of us riders not reading the owner's manual thoroughly/carefully.

(a4anurag mate kindly note that this comment is not specific to you.)
No offence taken. I'll be soon picking up a Thunderbird 500 hence reading all threads related and gathering points for better ownership experience.

Coming to you point of the public not reading the manual is correct. That is just a book with something scribbled in it. Vehicles are just piece of metal for Point A to Point B. Hence the state if affairs in our country. Apart from we BHPians I'll be surprised if I find the public read and understand the manual prior to riding.
Old 10th February 2015, 00:54   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

For those of you who wish to learn more about what is happening when you shift gears on your Royal Enfield, you may want to watch this web link:

The transmission shown is a Yamaha but the basic principles are the same as the RE.

Also, I suggest watching the following video to learn about the shifting arms and various parts that cause the gears to shift.

Notice that this shifting does not happen easily if the transmission gears are not in motion such as when you are sitting at a stop light.
This is why it is best to do the shifting when the motorcycle is moving. Even when you are stopped, just allowing the motorcycle to move slightly will cause the gears to align so they can be shifted without overstressing the various parts.

I thank my friend Singhg5 on the American Royal Enfield site for finding these two very good videos.

Happy Riding.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 10th February 2015 at 00:56.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 13:24   #20
BHPian

Hello,
My Dad owns a 6 month old RE Classic 350.
Here are my queries:
1. For engaging the gearbox to neutral, he brings the bike to a complete halt and downshifts to 1st gear(if it's in some other gear) and then, keeping the ignition on, he engages the neutral gear with a soft tap. Is this a wrong approach which is going to cause any harm to the gearbox?

2. Before buying this beast, we had gone through reviews, blogs etc. Somewhere it was mentioned that in RE bikes only 1/3rd of the clutch is to be pressed while shifting through gears. Any more clutch action will cause harm to the bike. Is this true?

Regards,
Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 10th February 2015 at 13:26. Reason: Correcting typo
Old 10th February 2015, 16:23   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Here are my queries:
1. For engaging the gearbox to neutral, he brings the bike to a complete halt and downshifts to 1st gear(if it's in some other gear) and then, keeping the ignition on, he engages the neutral gear with a soft tap. Is this a wrong approach which is going to cause any harm to the gearbox?

2. Before buying this beast, we had gone through reviews, blogs etc. Somewhere it was mentioned that in RE bikes only 1/3rd of the clutch is to be pressed while shifting through gears. Any more clutch action will cause harm to the bike. Is this true?
Answers in order:

1. When your dad is riding and wanting to come to a stop, he knows when that will be and when it does why not shift prior to N and come to a halt?! I am not asking you to coast in Neutral but just shift to N and come to a halt. Best practice rather than rocking the bike to shift to N later on.

2. Press the clutch lever fully and not 1/3rd or so be it RE or any other vehicle. Why disengage half and create half load/friction to the components!
Old 11th February 2015, 23:38   #22
BHPian

There is only one true neutral position in a RE bike .. (can't really call all of them a Bullet!!!!).

Since the neutral finder was taken out from the bike .. the most sure-shot of getting the neutral is to bring it to first gear when you need to stop it ( I would do it every time .. even at signals).. you cant go beyond it ... then a small (heel) tap. Check it by the free movement of the bike to be sure then switch off. You can never go wrong if you follow this .. till you become used to the bike and can find the neutral without going to the first gear...

I think our moderator bblost will agree

Kaushik
Old 28th December 2019, 12:44   #23
BHPian

I have a similar issue in my Electra, where in the neutral light does not glow, even if bike is in neutral. This means self start won't work, unless I hold the clutch. From all the videos on YouTube I
Could figure that it can be an issue with the neutral switch, that sits close to battery (below carb). Planning to remove it and check today. Will post pictures of it, if I do it.

Last edited by SS80 : 28th December 2019 at 12:45. Reason: Added lines
Old 28th December 2019, 13:20   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
Planning to remove it and check today. Will post pictures of it, if I do it.
You could short the connector to ground and see if the neutral indicator lights up, if so that'd confirm that the switch is at fault.

Being a RE, you'd find DIY Videos easily.

Cheers,
A.P.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks