Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2015, 23:05   #31
BHPian

Re: KTM Duke 390 gets a slipper clutch

While the basic function of a slipper clutch is well known , what benefit does it offers to a sufficiently experienced rider - by experience I mean one who was not routinely locking his rear because of poor downshifting . Is it more of a luxury upgrade to even out even controlled downshifts or it offers some performance bonus that can be taken advantage off by riders ? One thing based on comments seems it has a place on track bikes where one might need to downshift mid turn while leaned in . Is that only advantage or more that are applicable to normal usage ?

Ps : does it affects dropping a gear while accelerating , I mean going WOT with going a gear down to gain a sudden increase in rpm and associated kick in c**** response .

Last edited by basuroy : 24th February 2015 at 23:09.
Old 25th February 2015, 00:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
While the basic function of a slipper clutch is well known , what benefit does it offers to a sufficiently experienced rider - by experience I mean one who was not routinely locking his rear because of poor downshifting . Is it more of a luxury upgrade to even out even controlled downshifts or it offers some performance bonus that can be taken advantage off by riders ?
While I am not an expert, let me take a scenario from my routine ride a.k.a cornering exercise: While spirited riding in the ghats, I am taking a long turn at 4th gear at around 70kmph and is approaching a hairpin turn which should be taken at 2nd gear. and the distance between the two turns are a bit less. What I normally do is stamp on to 3rd gear while blipping the throttle and still keeping the clutch in the friction zone before releasing it fully to avoid immediate lockup then, when the rev falls again stamp on to 2nd in the same process. So much has to be done in that small distance between the turn 1 and the hairpin and that too while braking. But still, with the tremendous engine braking of the 390, my rear still slides. Most of my 390 riding buddies share the same experience. Personally we all do love that feeling. But there are so many parameters that we might be struggling with (voluntarily or involuntarily) to keep that momentary slide under control. But with a slipper clutch I can eliminate these overheads to prevent the rear wheel lock and concentrate on the entry and execution of the hairpin turn. Not that I hate doing the beforementioned steps, but if something can help me to concentrate more on my lines and make my riding smooth, I am very well in for that!

Before anybody asks, I wholeheartedly admit that I will not be using the slipper clutch functionality for a couple of weeks altogether or only during these weekend exercises. But, I feel that it is not something that should be analyzed on a number of times used vs number of times unused basis. Its just like the ABS, ABS's modulator unit will not be kicking in for almost 95-99% of the time. But that remaining crucial 5% or 1% is what we count it in for!

Quote:
One thing based on comments seems it has a place on track bikes where one might need to downshift mid turn while leaned in.
Not at all advisable to downshift after leaning into a corner. Not even in a race track! And not even with a slipper clutch!

Quote:
I mean going WOT with going a gear down to gain a sudden increase in rpm and associated kick in c**** response .
If you are talking about the engine braking. No, usually the slipper clutch will not reduce the engine braking. It merely prevents the wheel lock that occurs while downshifting.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 25th February 2015 at 00:22.
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 02:38   #33
BANNED

Quote:
One thing based on comments seems it has a place on track bikes where one might need to downshift mid turn while leaned in.
That's the last thing one rider should do.

All the required braking, gear shifts MUST be done prior to the turn and not when in process of turning. It'll make the tail go bonkers due to weight transfer, power changes etc.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 18:16   #34
BHPian

Interesting and aggressive strategy by bajaj. However, from business point of view, wouldnt it be a strategically better move to introduce the slipper clutch to the rc 390 first and command a slight premium? and then maybe giving it to the Duke after all of us cry and crib for it?

Cheers
Old 2nd March 2015, 18:38   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
Interesting and aggressive strategy by bajaj. However, from business point of view, wouldnt it be a strategically better move to introduce the slipper clutch to the rc 390 first and command a slight premium? and then maybe giving it to the Duke after all of us cry and crib for it?

Cheers
Yup or at least make sure there is enough hype about it and every rahul sanjay and hari start bragging about their slipper clutch, thus, giving a great publicity and more people craving for slipper clutch.

Good that bajaj decided to work as a pro instead though.
Old 6th March 2015, 08:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/03/bik...old-duke-390s/

Good news for old Duke 390 owners and a good move by Bajaj.
Old 6th March 2015, 14:00   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
While I am not an expert, let me take a scenario from my routine ride

Great description , with the unconfirmed news of of the option to retrofit the clutch to older bikes , are you going to opt for it(assuming price is reasonable) or continue with the original setup ?
Old 6th March 2015, 14:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..are you going to opt for it(assuming price is reasonable) or continue with the original setup ?
Good question! Even my mechanic confirmed that this can be retrofitted. But I am not letting them open up the clutch casing for this. As per my policy, do not open a factory sealed engine unless its absolutely necessary! So, Ill just wait till I have to change the current clutch plate set. Also, I would like a test ride to check how much the bite has reduced with the new set of springs.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 14:41   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Good question! Even my mechanic confirmed that this can be retrofitted. But I am not letting them open up the clutch casing for this. As per my policy, do not open a factory sealed engine unless its absolutely necessary! So, Ill just wait till I have to change the current clutch plate set. Also, I would like a test ride to check how much the bite has reduced with the new set of springs.
I agree with you wholeheartedly on not opening engine unless absolutely necessary . Learned this the hard way with my enfield right after I purchased it in 2013 .
basuroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 16:38   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As per my policy, do not open a factory sealed engine unless its absolutely necessary!
Quote:
I agree with you wholeheartedly on not opening engine unless absolutely necessary . Learned this the hard way with my enfield right after I purchased it in 2013 .
I hear Bulleteers talking. And a Bulleteer agrees.

Don't fix what's not broken. And use completely what the company has given you first for what you have already paid for.

Last edited by ebonho : 6th March 2015 at 16:40.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks