Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2015, 21:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Fabricating handle bar risers for a better riding position

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I don't have any hard info about the Ninja 300, but I think the fork legs extend into the existing aluminium handlebar risers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
The consensus was, forks are not needed to go into the riser. It is mainly the four bolts (two each) that do the work.
Quote:
People have used additional rods to insert into the hollow holes of risers, but they were mostly deduced as non-necessary addition.
True
Quote:
I too think that if we can get such risers made, that protrude a little bit into the handlebars, then it will be a third point of contact and will make the riser even stronger.
Not necessary.
For eg A flat rectangular part having two steps cannot mate perfectly to a similar mating part at two planes simultaneously, that is the engineering theory. Only one plane will match first and take the whole load.

Here practically say if the bolts are loose the circular fork surface can lend some support thats it, but you will feel the jerks while braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Better buy from US. Many such shops in Poona who can actually make GOOD replica generally do not entertain such small requests and rest are not worth talking about.
Been there, done that many times in Poona :(

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Truly agree
In pune I tried making handlebar risers and the cost quoted was exhorbitant. Also it requires the motorbike to to be opened up by a mechanic (if not yourself as one should have all the tools,place and time) take the top T to the lathe guy and have him machine a mating part.

So this requires bike mechanics labour, plus the lathe guys labour, plus the cost of the raw materials which being aluminium will be costly. Such small thick aluminimum raw material is difficult to find in the right size and costly, you can give it a try.

You also should know the limits to what you can raise your handle bar ie. the thickness of these handlebar risers so that you do not landup changing the brake, clutch and accelerator cables and electric wires to the handlebar switches.

All the above costs plus the headache of finding all these resources would sum up to the same amount you would landup buying from US.

In pune lathe guys charge exhorbitantly for small work and are not interested. They have their own egos and want to make parts as their way which doesnot necessarily gel withour plans. This is another pain one has to overcome.

Ideally this spacer should be a steel surface hardened to take the compressive stresses and vibrations for long time. If not I do not think pure aluminium is the right choice. Pure aluminium is a soft metal, the right metal selection for this should be magnesium alloy or something else which I am not an expert at to comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Unlike most others, I think making these risers here is no big deal. Just see to it that you start with the correct measurements/ dimensions. (Tracing out on a sheet of paper would not be my way of going about doing it.)
Any competent machinist should be able to do it, but for peace of mind go to a tool/ die maker.

Regards
Sutripta
Making these risers is no big deal just that one should have the right resources and contacts which is difficult to find in Pune.

If someone is able to find the right resources please do mail me their contacts so that I too can make use of them for making handlebar risers for my Apache RTR180.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 22:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Amit, I share your sentiments. Running around the bazaar to deal with moody shopkeepers is really a nightmare.

That being said, I am positive about the interaction between the person I mentioned above. If I can get the risers made at one single point, then only I will proceed. Else running around to save a penny will costs pounds!
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 22:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post

The consensus was, forks are not needed to go into the riser. It is mainly the four bolts (two each) that do the work.

Since the forks are held by the triple clamps and not the handles, they are not required to be pushed inside the risers.

People have used additional rods to insert into the hollow holes of risers, but they were mostly deduced as non-necessary addition.

This particular 'riser' can be used as for lowering the bike as well, but people have safely used these as risers alone, without pushing the forks in.

I too think that if we can get such risers made, that protrude a little bit into the handlebars, then it will be a third point of contact and will make the riser even stronger.
There is no way the handlebar will stay secure on just the two bolts. If the design is for the forks to protrude into the original risers, then all load is meant to be transferred from the handlebar directly to the fork legs. The only job bolts do, is to stop the handles from flying off the forks and to resist the torque on the handles. having the bolts take the entire load is a really bad idea, no matter who says what.

Just to clarify what I am saying; the forks are indeed held by the triple clamps, but the point here is that the handlebars are held by the forks. The bolts on the triple clamps just making sure they are held onto the forks.

Because this is a safety-critical assembly, there is going to be quite a large factor of safety. Probably that is why people are not noticing any issues with the two bolt setups yet. But you never know when what will snap. After all, the bolts do sit in 8mm aluminium threading.

If you still insist on using the risers you have shown, can you at least use stainless steel bolts and thread lock compound?
braindead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 13:02   #19
BHPian

I chose to deliver this product to India and this is the cost and estimated date of arrival. For the price of the product, there is a chance that you won't have to pay customs.

Name:  amazon cost.PNG
Views: 4843
Size:  21.4 KB
Fabricating handle bar risers for a better riding position-amazon-date.png
ashishy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 14:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

If we select to pay in USD, then it is slightly cheaper, as the current USDINR is about 62. But still, I feel paying 50% of product cost in shipping is bit too much, and will resort to ordering this only if I can't find any home-grown solution.
Old 27th February 2015, 14:08   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
For the price of the product, there is a chance that you won't have to pay customs.
I ordered something from Amazon US as well, i think the Shipping & Handling might already include some "expected" charges. Read the fine print.

About a week after i received the product, i got a small refund from Amazon saying they weren't charged those expected amounts. Classic Amazon

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 19:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
I too can make use of them for making handlebar risers for my Apache RTR180.
Send me an engineering drawing.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 2nd March 2015, 11:39   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Ideally this spacer should be a steel surface hardened to take the compressive stresses and vibrations for long time. If not I do not think pure aluminium is the right choice. Pure aluminium is a soft metal, the right metal selection for this should be magnesium alloy or something else which I am not an expert at to comment.
How about a spacer made of hard rubber ? Maybe a material like rubber dampers or some material hard enough to withstand the forces ? The rubber 'might' absorb shocks better( i agree that the main purpose of the spacer is not shock absorption) and it may also not have a very long life either ( chances of cracks over prolonged use and ultimate breakage) compared to aluminium/steel. Im no expert and its just a thought.

I have been sick, tired and hassled soo much by the signature Apache RTR 'vibrations' in the handlebars and foot-rests, that i have started hating my bike everyday. Also, combined with the low handle bars it seems to get all the more irritating on longer journeys

Any suggestions/fixes will be highly appreciated.
dreamliner17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 19:43   #24
BHPian

1) You can try going for the single piece handle bar directly mounted on the T clamp like TVS Star city/ Honda Yuga/Shine etc.
2) Fill the handlebar with sand and install end weights on the single piece handlebar.
3) Use rubber pads at the mounting of the Handlebar to the T clamp.

The above points are what maximum one can do to dampen the vibrations and have a straight seating posture.

If the above points do not solve your problem probably nothing else can because we cannot change the source of vibrations that is the engine.

I too have an apache and am fed up with the same problems as you mentioned. Thats the reason instead of developing spacers I would opt for a single piece handlebar which can be adjusted back and forth easily as compared to clipons.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 00:14   #25
BHPian

Thank you amit_purohit20 for the suggestion !
I am most certainly going in for the handlebar replacement. I never really thought that going back to the single piece handlebar might seem promising to solve the problem! The only question remains is which bike's handlebar would be suitable for the replacement. I quite like the karizma R's handlebar and its height. Should i also try tinkering with the hero karizma zmr (old) or the hero cbz xtreme's clip-ons?
Old 10th March 2015, 00:10   #26
BHPian

@Ani_Meher: There is a friend of mine in Pune has done the handlebar risers for his CBR 250R. He also has made custome rear sets for the same. He got both fabricated himself. If you need, can get you in touch with him.
Old 14th May 2015, 15:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

An update to this thread. I started this thread hoping to find an economical way to increase the height of the handlebars. I tried getting it done in Pune, with proper CNC cutting etc, but it would have costed me 4500+. A person on xbhp showed excellent technique to get it fabricated, but I didn't find anyone reliable in Pune to do it, and going to Mumbai solely for getting it done would cost me in the same range.

I finally bit the bullet, saved some money, and bought a readymade handlebar riser from US. The landed cost at my doorstep was Rs.4200, that includes customs n all. It is a CNC-machined 6061 billet aluminum model. I received 4 long screws and two anodised risers in the package. It looks exactly the same as the first image of this post. The quality seems very good. It doesn't have that any risen part for the fork hole. I had read in some discussions, that it was not important for the strength of the riser, as it depended mainly on those 4 bolts only. It is a hot topic though, and it depends on your preference. I am happy with 4 bolts, though idea of having a protrusion for the fork hole in handles is good as well ( but only available as DIY and not ready product).

I will get it installed from Kawasaki on Saturday. Till that time, if any budding DIY person wants me to get sketch/photo/measurement etc, do let me know. Once it is installed, it will not be removed.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 12:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

I got the risers installed. The riding position has now improved a lot. It is almost as upright as any touring bike. I am loving it!

It was a very simple job, just remove the bolts, pop in these spacers, and use new bolts. I did not require to pull any wires or break anything on the bike. I recommend this mod very much Makes my daily commute very enjoyable.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 18:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
@Ani_Meher: There is a friend of mine in Pune has done the handlebar risers for his CBR 250R. He also has made custome rear sets for the same. He got both fabricated himself. If you need, can get you in touch with him.
Hi Jay - Sorry for tagging back on such an old post. Is it possible to get more details as I am badly in need of handlebar risers for my ride.

Would like to know his feedback post usage, cost (if possible) & whether there is a possibility of getting one made.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 8th December 2017, 21:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Hi Jay - Sorry for tagging back on such an old post. Is it possible to get more details as I am badly in need of handlebar risers for my ride.

Would like to know his feedback post usage, cost (if possible) & whether there is a possibility of getting one made.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Sure. Am currently based in the US. Will try to get his contact details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks