Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2015, 10:37   #1
Team-BHP Support

TVS Draken spotted testing in India

After showcasing the Draken X21 concept motorcycle at the 2014 Auto Expo, TVS Motors has started testing the bike on Indian roads.

Developed jointly with BMW, the Draken concept sports a 249.2 cc, single-cylinder, 4-valve, liquid-cooled engine producing 38.5 bhp @ 12000 rpm and 23 Nm of torque @ 9500 rpm. Power is transmitted to the rear wheel through a 6-speed gearbox. The bike has a trellis frame with a telescopic fork front suspension and a monoshock at the rear. Stopping power comes from disc brakes all round and ABS has been provided as well.

The test mule seems to be carrying a lot of pre-production body parts indicating that the company could be testing just the engine and other mechanical components. The V-shaped LED tail lamp and seen on the concept have been replaced by a dummy unit. The turn-indicators are also different. The bike also features split seats.

The next-generation TVS Apache is expected to be based on the Draken.

TVS Draken spotted testing in India-tvs-draken.jpg

Source: Power Drift
Aditya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 10:51   #2
BHPian

Re: TVS Draken spotted testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Developed jointly with BMW, the Draken concept sports a 249.2 cc, single-cylinder, 4-valve, liquid-cooled engine producing 38.5 bhp @ 12000 rpm and 23 Nm of torque @ 9500 rpm.
How do they extract so much power out of a single 250 cc? - Insane compression ratio? The power is in 300cc twin-cylinder Ninja 300 category!
sriramv.iyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 11:25   #3
BHPian

TVS have always been late comers to a segment but things seem to be changing. This bike if comes into reality will create a totally new segment, performance at affordable price (Being single cylinder).
I only hope this bike has better build and finish than the duke 390, not to mention a better sounding exhaust
Overall a worthy competitor to the 390
Mashblue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 11:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
How do they extract so much power out of a single 250 cc? - Insane compression ratio? The power is in 300cc twin-cylinder Ninja 300 category!
I am guessing those details were mentioned during the concept unveil in Auto Expo. I expect this to be a 300cc bike with output somewhere between 30 - 35 bhp.

Also I feel the next generation Apache will be an evolution of the current Apache platform and the BMW-TVS bike is all new. These are just guesses based on whatever industry info I have, so please don't stone me if I am wrong.
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 11:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Above everything else, how did they identify this as the Draken or atleast a TVS test mule? Everything visible are just dummy parts that resembles no similarity to any models in the TVS lineup!

When the Street 750 test mule (almost production ready) was spotted, most of the people never even guessed that it would be a Harley Davidson!
man_of_steel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 03:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Above everything else, how did they identify this as the Draken or atleast a TVS test mule? Everything visible are just dummy parts that resembles no similarity to any models in the TVS lineup!

When the Street 750 test mule (almost production ready) was spotted, most of the people never even guessed that it would be a Harley Davidson!
Good question.

The Registration # gives it away, TN24 - Hosur RTO
Old 4th March 2015, 09:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Good question.

The Registration # gives it away, TN24 - Hosur RTO
Hosur RTO is in fact TN70 (earlier, it used to be TN29). TN24 is Krishnagiri which is right next to Hosur (which proves your point).

As to why people are guessing this is a TVS bike is simply because those who frequently travel that route (Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore) would have spotted umpteen number of camoflagued / non-camoflagued TVS vehicles being tested. I have seen everything from TVS Jive, Wego, Scooty to their 3 wheeler, King in various stages of development.

Also, the TVS50 tail lamp is another give-away. I don't think Hero or Bajaj would bother to fix TVS50 tail lamp on their test bike to fool the Indian janta. This is not VW we are talking about.
Viju is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks