Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2015, 14:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Me, myself and the Enfield Continental GT

Have you ever wondered as to how the press bikes look all shiny and droll worthy where as your spanking new bike does not gleam with the same radiance? Well, I did, and decided to do something about it.

So after a wash and nice rubdown with Collinite 845, 850 and hour worth of elbow grease here's how my Conti looks:

Me, myself and the Enfield Continental GT-gleaming.png

Not bad eh?
sumithb is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 15:44   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumithb View Post
Turned out that the bike was an August 2014 make i.e almost 6 months old! Of-course, I refused and asked them to get me a 2015 manufactured bike. Couple of days later the dealer called me again offering the bike at 2014 price. If this was December made I would have considered it, but August was just too old, so refused again.

Accessories purchased:
  • Performance Exhaust
  • Pillion foot rest
  • Dual Seat
  • Bar-end mirrors
How did you figure out that the bike is an August 2014 model?
Is the Performance Exhaust a default accessory?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th May 2015 at 16:52. Reason: Typo
Old 25th May 2015, 16:19   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
You can figure out the manufacturing date of any vehicle by its VIN number.

Quote:
It is an after market accessory.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th May 2015 at 16:53. Reason: Fixing quotes.
Old 25th May 2015, 17:54   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Details on decoding the VIN can be found here. Read to the end of the page.

Quote:
It's an original Enfield accessory, you would need to pay extra for it.
sumithb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 13:23   #20
BHPian

Second service update
I distinctly remember crashing into potholes couple of times and praying it didn't mess with the rims. If only wishes were horses

The total bill:
Wheel Truing: Rs 791 /-
Battery terminal cleaning and spraying: Rs 51.30 /-
Chain cleaning and spraying: Rs 171 /-
Consumable: Rs 50 /-

Total KM at the time of service: 1620

Interesting titbit
Over the last couple of weeks I had felt that the handle was a bit "twitchy" for the first 5-10 mins, after that it used to be fine. So I had thought that the problem was in my head.

Now looking back I can attribute that behaviour to the anti-puncture fluid I had filled. You are supposed to remove the balancing weights (if any) when you fill the fluid as once the vehicle starts moving it auto balances the wheels. So from standstill, the handle was "twitchy" because of damage to the front rim, then the fluid would balance it once in motion.

Well, now we know the fluid has not dried out inside the tubes

With the onset of monsoon I don't expect to ride much. Thinking of disconnecting the battery and storing the bike.
Old 13th August 2015, 22:45   #21
BHPian

As you would know from my posts above, I had replaced the stock mirrors with bar ends. All good and fine, however this left ungainly holes where the stock mirrors used to be. Tried to look for blanking plugs to fill that hole, all I could find in the local market where works of arts like missiles, bullets, Trishuls and gathas

Spent couple of weekends visiting the local screw-walas to find a pair that fit. My hunt finally led to these mirror mount plugs at nfieldgear. Crazy expensive at 1000 bucks a pair, but whats a guy to do. Took a deep breath and ordered a pair.

Here's the end result:
Me, myself and the Enfield Continental GT-nuts-1.png
Before

Me, myself and the Enfield Continental GT-nuts-2.png
After, everything's right in the world again
sumithb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 23:43   #22
BHPian

Wow ! This thread is a revelation. Your "yellow wasp" (if I can call her that) is a real looker. Though I have never owned a bike myself (I learnt to ride on one of dad's employee's Splendor) I am certainly contemplating buying one after looking at these marvelous pictures. When the time is right I'll definitely contact you to learn more about RE in general and CGT.
On a sidenote the following line -
Quote:
all I could find in the local market were works of art like missiles, bullets, Trishuls and gathas
made me crack up really badly Here's wishing you many happy miles !
RocketRaccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 01:25   #23
BHPian

@sumithb next time you visit the dealership ask them to put the Continental GT sticker on the side panels. It livens up that bland area. My dealer did it on his own and the sides look good.
gopalmg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 14:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
these mirror mount plugs at nfieldgear. Crazy expensive at 1000 bucks a pair, but whats a guy to do. Took a deep breath and ordered a pair.
Firstly your bike looks awesome. Its really rare to see the Yellow CGT and its sure an eye-candy. I love the way you keep it clean, wax it and make it look neat, I do it on all my vehicles every 6 months.

The website what you have linked is exorbitantly pricey in all departments. Those "plugs" are nothing but plain bolts which any lathe guy can make. Even the front fork plug screws, or the round mudguard screws would have been useful for your purpose, and they cost peanuts.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 17:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalmg View Post
@sumithb next time you visit the dealership ask them to put the Continental GT sticker on the side panels. It livens up that bland area. My dealer did it on his own and the sides look good.
I know what you mean, something like this right?

I am undecided actually, I really dig the unembellished looks of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Firstly your bike looks awesome. Its really rare to see the Yellow CGT and its sure an eye-candy. I love the way you keep it clean, wax it and make it look neat, I do it on all my vehicles every 6 months.

The website what you have linked is exorbitantly pricey in all departments. Those "plugs" are nothing but plain bolts which any lathe guy can make. Even the front fork plug screws, or the round mudguard screws would have been useful for your purpose, and they cost peanuts.
I asked all around for the bolts that would fit. Neither the service centre or the local stores had any. I got some rubber bushes that I thought would work but they would not stay put. After exhausting my options I decided to go with the bolts mentioned above. The are expensive but are of superb quality.

If you have a link or spare part no. do put that in, it might come handy to somebody else.
Old 16th August 2015, 18:42   #26
BHPian

@Sumithb yes, exactly
Old 14th November 2015, 22:32   #27
BHPian

I have yellow GT too and have those holes too from the very beginning. Didn't like the way and wanted to do something but never got to. They stopped bothering me. But now that I hear and see that . . . . .

By the way, I am a hard core fan of Bullet. Have a '62. But that did not stop me from liking the GT. Both are from different stable, but have the same soul which perhaps drives me to either.

Mallik Kovuri
Old 17th April 2017, 11:09   #28

How can we fix the backrest on Continental GT. I was searching on the internet but could not find any direct attachments. I tried fixing the regular backrest (which comes with standard model) by drilling holes in twin seat but since it is made up of plastic it did not have any strength and broke in a month use. Any pointers will be helpful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks