Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2015, 18:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bad experience: Church father, Bajaj dealer & bike exchange

Our church in Coonoor had decided to replace the bike being used by the church father to a new one.

The committee members had decided to replace the bike with a new one. It was decided to sell the Splendor for Rs.12000 and buy a new Honda Unicorn.

The Bajaj dealer came to us in good faith and offered to purchase the old Splendor for Rs. 15000 in exchange for a Bajaj Discover. It was agreed that he would register the bike and deliver it to the Vicar. All these details being recorded in our minutes book on their respective dates.

He took the Splendor and sent a unregistered discover to the church fathers house.
Now, he insists that the Splendor can only fetch a lower value and we need to pay additionally to register the bike.
As if it was not shocking enough, he now says that we have to cancel hypthecation on the bike with South Indian Bank. He did not notice it on the day when he inspected the bike.

The bank manager who is a member of the church has said that he would do the same free of cost, yet the dealer just refuses to visit him and keeps dragging days.

In the meanwhile the bike is lying a the church fathers house and not even used for a minute as it was not registered.

What needs to be done? Should the church just pay the extra amount and get it registered on its own? Is the Bajaj customer care effective enough to report this?

Benny

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd April 2015 at 09:23. Reason: Correcting - hero Honda Unicorn to Honda Unicorn :)
Old 31st March 2015, 19:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Bad experience: Church father, Bajaj dealer & bike exchange

I would suggest you to get the bike registered by your self and do not get the HP off the Splendor cause then the guy would not be able to sell it off.

With this you would be able to get the Bike in your name that no one can claim later. You would be able to teach that guy a lesson. Mainly Father would be able to use the bike.

In addition to this do send an email or report this issue with Bajaj.

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2015 at 14:32. Reason: Typo
desideep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 19:41   #3
Team-BHP Support

I usually don't condone vindictive behavior (esp. so when a pious man is involved) but this shady dealer needs to be taught a lesson.

If the Vicar agrees, someone from the Church can take the initiative and register the bike at the RTO. The dealer can't do anything about that as long as you've got paperwork for the new bike (invoice etc).

Let the dealer sit on an unsold used bike and chase you guys to get the bank hypothecation removed. Serves the idiot right for trying to pull a fast one in a noble cause.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st March 2015 at 19:44.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 19:58   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
I would suggest you to get the bike registered by your self ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I ... someone from the Church can take the initiative and register the bike at the RTO. The dealer can't do anything about that as long as you've got paperwork for the new bike (invoice etc) ...
That's what came to mind as well. Hoping this dealer has not withheld any of the key forms required for registration. By and large it is same, but check with your RTO as well about the required documents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
I In addition to this do send an email or report this issue with Bajaj.
This can certainly be done, but unsure as to what Bajaj would do in this case.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 21:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Seems to be a case of omission, where the dealer missed out on noticing the hypothetication. If the cost of registration is not much I suggest try and sort the matter amicably between the dealer and the church. The amount seems too trivial to lose sleep over. No point in causing unnecessary bad blood for such a paltry sum.

As they say, you have to choose which battles are worth fighting.
Lalvaz is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 23:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

A man of God deserves a better bike. Return the Bajaj, get your old bike back. Sell it for whatever price it fetches and buy the Vicar a Honda, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
What needs to be done?
khoj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 00:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
d.

What needs to be done? Should the church just pay the extra amount and get it registered on its own? Is the Bajaj customer care effective enough to report this?

Benny
Yes, Bajaj Customer Care, do indeed provide good backup when it comes to queries when called upon, the results are almost very quick. But with this return policy, this might be dodgy, considering the fact that Bajaj doesn't authorize price policy on a used motorcycle. All they can do is give a stern warning to the representative who coaxed you into selling a motorcycle.

I'd suggest you to call Bajaj Customer care, explain them your situation and demand the motorcycle back, so that you can either exchange it from a different dealer. This actually gets work done, I've experienced a similar case due to poor servicing issues in Coimbatore and Customer Care solved the problem for good, no more trouble.

And glad to see someone from Nilgiris.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 09:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all your replies.

Had a word with the Vicar. The dealer has not handed any papers or invoice. Only the bike and keys has been delivered to the parsonage.

We are in a tight spot. Worst experience ever. Looks like he just wanted to make a sale.
Old 1st April 2015, 11:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Had a word with the Vicar. The dealer has not handed any papers or invoice. Only the bike and keys has been delivered to the parsonage.

We are in a tight spot. Worst experience ever. Looks like he just wanted to make a sale.
since nothing has been done so far, just inform the dealer to come and pickup his new bike in return of the old splendour, or else ask him to get it registered ASAP, if you have proof of payment made to the dealership, he cannot withheld the invoice or registration. I am sure you will have a lawyer in your parish, send a notice to the dealership.

Pramod
Old 1st April 2015, 11:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why don't you ask the dealer to cancel the deal and return the Splendor?

Truly a sad event especially when it comes to religious institutions.
Old 1st April 2015, 15:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad experience: Church father, Bajaj dealer & bike exchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
since nothing has been done so far, just inform the dealer to come and pickup his new bike in return of the old splendour, or else ask him to get it registered ASAP, if you have proof of payment made to the dealership, he cannot withheld the invoice or registration. I am sure you will have a lawyer in your parish, send a notice to the dealership.

Pramod
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Why don't you ask the dealer to cancel the deal and return the Splendor?

Truly a sad event especially when it comes to religious institutions.
I told him to return the Splendor and take back the Discover which he is not willing to do.

It is already invoiced and all that nonsense he says. I think he tried to just do an opportunistic sale and now knows we will have to solve it ourselves.

We will definitely go legal on this as the money belongs to the church and not one individual.

I have sent a mail to Bajaj customer care this morning. No reply as yet. I mentioned to the dealer that I will write to customer care and he told me to go ahead. So, I have no hope in that route. We have less options now, legal being the main.

Last edited by beejay : 1st April 2015 at 15:39.
Old 1st April 2015, 16:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
It is already invoiced and all that nonsense he says. I think he tried to just do an opportunistic sale and now knows we will have to solve it ourselves.
It is invoiced, but the guy does not want to give you the invoice! How does that work? Totally illegal from all angles for him to hold back the invoice.

I am still not getting as to why the dealer is holding up releasing the invoice. Sale is done, cheque is cashed (I presume), so there is nothing that he can achieve by holding on to the invoice. And your member is also willing to register it without burdening the dealer for that. Only thing that is not clear is on the hypothecation.

Hypothecation has to be released if the dealer is to be able to sell the vehicle. You can use this as a pressure tactic, but to solve the issue I think you will have to ask for this to be done. If the bike is hypothecated, is there also some loan outstanding on it? Has that been cleared? Still amazed that the dealer can completely miss this in the inspection.
Old 2nd April 2015, 01:20   #13
BHPian

File a police case for cheating, since he has refused to hand over papers despite payment being made and also he has handed over a bike without registering.

I am assuming that he has not even given a temp number.
Old 2nd April 2015, 08:24   #14
BHPian

Whatever has happened is not good and I would suggest going the legal route as well. Also, try dropping an e-mail to amitnandi @ bajajauto dot co dot in and see if he replies.
Old 2nd April 2015, 08:32   #15
BHPian

First, write an email to Bajaj, another one, that if they won't intervene, they too would be made a party in the court case since their dealer has sold a vehicle without proper registration and documentation. Second, though the hypothetication is not yet removed, he would still sell off the Splendor to somebody by bribing the RTO's. Ensure that this is stopped as once its sold off, it becomes difficult to pursue the case.

Some observations: It seems that customer, church here, does not have any receipt of either paying the surplus cash for the difference between Splendor and Discover, or a receipt from the dealer for having purchased Splendor from the church. Yes, the dealers do provide an exchange note for the vehicles purchased by them. I got a receipt for the two vehicles that I had exchanged in the past. You said in your first post that minutes were prepared for all the meetings. What all receipts you are in possession off? If you don't have the receipts, the dealer may as well file a case against you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks