Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2015, 10:49   #1
BHPian

Bike horn distortion at high speed / rpm

I own a Honda Unicorn from 2007, the one with spoke wheels. Few years back, I changed the single stock horn to dual Hella Disc horns. The horns are smaller than those on the Pulsar and I really like the way they sound. They are wired with a relay and from what the electrician told me, the horns are isolated from the horn switch and connected directly to the battery.

Right from when the horn was changed, the problem I've faced is that the horn sound gets distorted at high speed. My thoughts are, it is probably due to higher current from the electrical system at high speed. But since it is connected directly to the battery, can a higher current flow through? Also, has anyone had an issue of horn distortion at high RPMs? Finally, how do I resolve the issue?

Mods, even though my query is regarding a bike horn, I'm putting it in the accessories section because there is a chance that car owners have also faced the same issue.

Last edited by GTO : 14th April 2015 at 12:41. Reason: Typo
Old 14th April 2015, 12:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bike horn distortion at high speed / rpm

My thoughts on this:

While the horn is connected to the battery, the battery is still connected to the alternator.
So the voltage available to horn is going to be whatever is higher at a given moment.

When running high the alternators wires are carrying higher voltage. These same wires are also in contact with the wires that are going to the horns.
They will get distorted at high speeds.

I don't think its possible to isolate them. The only option is getting horns that are able to work with this voltage range.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 13:23   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopaneel View Post
I own a Honda Unicorn from 2007, the one with spoke wheels.

Mods, even though my query is regarding a bike horn, I'm putting it in the accessories section because there is a chance that car owners have also faced the same issue.
Assuming that the horns in question is of a diaphragm type, check the mounting brackets if they are installed properly and the horn itself is not touching nearby metal parts during vibrations at high rpms thereby hindering the proper functioning of the diaphragm.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 13:36   #4
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
My thoughts on this:

While the horn is connected to the battery, the battery is still connected to the alternator.
So the voltage available to horn is going to be whatever is higher at a given moment.

When running high the alternators wires are carrying higher voltage. These same wires are also in contact with the wires that are going to the horns.
They will get distorted at high speeds.

I don't think its possible to isolate them. The only option is getting horns that are able to work with this voltage range.
But wouldn't all auto horns be rated at 12V. Also, at higher RPMs would the voltage or current be increasing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Assuming that the horns in question is of a diaphragm type, check the mounting brackets if they are installed properly and the horn itself is not touching nearby metal parts during vibrations at high rpms thereby hindering the proper functioning of the diaphragm.
regards adrian
This is something I've never thought of. Even though I assume it's well fitted, I will take a closer look.

Last edited by GTO : 15th April 2015 at 12:29. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 14th April 2015, 13:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Put the bike on centre stand and with the bike in Neutral rev the engine and check if the problem exists.Also check the horn clips.Tighten them if they are loose.
rakesh_r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 18:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hmm so the relay is already in place, how old is the battery? Can you try by temporarily putting a new one in place?

Also have you checked to see if the wiring is lose?

Also what do you mean by the horns are isolated fomr horn switch? How do you operate them? via a separate switch?
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 18:11   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Gopaneel,

There is an adjustment screw behind the diaphragm of the horn. Use this screw to adjust the tone of the horn and you may hit the right spot. It may be locked by a nut under the screw and may be covered by a tiny rubber housing. You will have to remove the rubber cover to have access to the adjustment screw. Try this procedure and report us back.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 19:32   #8
BHPian

If you find the horn to be loosely mounted , you may want to use a correct size washer and tighten it again so that it does not become loose. Posting a pic will help us a lot in helping you.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks