Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2015, 22:47   #1
BHPian

Pulsar 200NS - Display & Ignition Issue

Hi All,

I own a 4 month old, 2300km done Pulsar NS200 and since last week when I turn the ignition ON, this is what happens (Video provided for reference) :-

1) Switch ignition key to ON

2) There is no response for a few seconds then few digits show up (randomly). It could be some partial digits from date or from kms or anything. Even the tacho needle moves a bit.

3) 4th sec, after turning on ignition, Display turns ON as usual BUT please note that the clock has reset to 01:00AM.

Other findings :-
1) This happens FOR SURE in the mornings (starting to office) and in the evenings (retruning from office). At other times it is harder to reproduce. Generally it is easily reproducible with a gap of say 1-2 hrs min between each tries.

2) Even while in motion, the Display resets itself and clock resets. Sometimes display flickers on and off multiple times.

3) My local mechanic says this is 'typical' with NS 200 and he has seen two bikes with this issue and despite change of ignition set/key/coil this doesn't fix.

I am planning to take the bike to the service center tomorrow or day after but if this is something 'common' to NS, I have made up my mind to sue Bajaj.

So requesting all experts here for suggestion and also feedback from NS owners.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 20th April 2015 at 22:50.
Old 21st April 2015, 07:10   #2
BHPian

re: Pulsar 200NS - Display & Ignition Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Hi All,

I own a 4 month old, 2300km done Pulsar NS200 and since last week when I turn the ignition ON, this is what happens (Video provided for reference) :-
The problem can be most likely a loose connection or with a faulty ignition switch. I have a P180 UG4, had an issue where the electricals would switch off randomly, traced it to a faulty one and replaced it.

Bajaj is usually good on warranty replacements, I had my meter console replaced at ~8k kms due to a faulty segment in the digital display (one segment in the display was faintly flickering at ~4k RPM ). They had replaced the console promptly without any issues, it took about a week or so for the warranty claim to be processed.

BTW, have you checked the battery connector?

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2015 at 12:18.
knaveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 16:19   #3
BHPian

Re: Pulsar 200NS - Display & Ignition Issue

UPDATE:

Bike is in the service center for past couple of days (Khivraj Bajaj, near ITPL Bangalore). They are still not able to diagnose the root issue. They suspect some electrical problem.

Earlier findings on the display flickering/reset :-

1) While turning the handlebar fully towards the right the display was getting reset. So this was the reason why it was getting reset on the move.

2) Initially they suspected that water had gone into the ignition connector, which of course was a wrong finding.
Old 28th April 2015, 16:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
UPDATE:

Bike is in the service center for past couple of days (Khivraj Bajaj, near ITPL Bangalore). They are still not able to diagnose the root issue. They suspect some electrical problem.

Earlier findings on the display flickering/reset :-

1) While turning the handlebar fully towards the right the display was getting reset. So this was the reason why it was getting reset on the move.

2) Initially they suspected that water had gone into the ignition connector, which of course was a wrong finding.
Sounds like a broken wire that makes and breaks contact when the handle is turned. Unless the break in the wire is visible, this is actually very hard to locate the break. The wires under the fork bracket and around the steering are those that are frequently affected.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 06:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Sounds like a broken wire that makes and breaks contact when the handle is turned. Unless the break in the wire is visible, this is actually very hard to locate the break. The wires under the fork bracket and around the steering are those that are frequently affected.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
You were Spot on!

UPDATE:
Yes indeed there was a break in a wire. Service centre took full 3 days to track it down. Their assessment is that rat would have made the damage . It seems the bare wire was touching the body and getting shorted causing the display to flicker and also reset the clock.

I am watching the display closely for the next few days though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks